Programs From The Ångström Repo

Bryce Leo said:
Why? You're running a firmware based system not an installed system. A flash will take maybe a half hour. The only reason people bother "cleaning up" viruses on desktop computers is because they don't want to re-install all their applications and get all their settings back. If there were a virus that deletes all applications and settings leaving you with a base install that would be just as devastating as one that hosed your system.
If OpenPandora shipped the device root user as default, any random buggy app could nuke your Pandora by accident.
Not to mention they would suddenly become a massive target for skriptkiddies.

Running as root is a bad idea even on completely isolated systems.
Doing so on a device with net access is beyond stupid.

EDIT:
I was quite enjoying the discussions of the PND system anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
An interesting question is.. Forthose trying to rip me a new one lately, why didn't they ask 2 years ago? :)

jeffphone

Aninhumer said:
If OpenPandora shipped the device root user as default, any random buggy app could nuke your Pandora by accident.
Not to mention they would suddenly become a massive target for skriptkiddies.
Since there's only one user anyway, the same buggy app could nuke everything but the base firmware (which is easily reflashable) by accident as well.
I'm curious to know what a "skriptkiddy" could do if you were running as root that they couldn't if you were running in user mode, other than wipe out the base firmware.

skeezix said:
An interesting question is.. Forthose trying to rip me a new one lately, why didn't they ask 2 years ago? :)

jeffphone
Heh, 2 years ago it was an "idea" now it's here. Besides it's always easier to look on something that's been developed and pu-pu it, than to design something new in the first place.

WizardStan said:
Since there's only one user anyway, the same buggy app could nuke everything but the base firmware (which is easily reflashable) by accident as well.
I'm curious to know what a "skriptkiddy" could do if you were running as root that they couldn't if you were running in user mode, other than wipe out the base firmware.
It's good to know I'm not the only logical thinking person. :)

Bryce Leo said:
Don't get me wrong, multi-user is definitely the desired setup for many reasons. I just don't think the traditional idea of security is one of them.

Actually, I am designing something new .. :)

I think the sooner Grandma learns about JTAG, the better. She needs it to play Harrier Attack, which .. admittedly .. she is good at. And it calms her down.. :*)

TOD'OH:

- write the worlds first linuxworm.pnd
- look at myself .. more often
- stop osting drunk from androiid rubbishh ..

skeezix said:

jeffphone

I really like the PND system. I guess some people's problem with it, is that they have to manage the files in a directory tree. Some people don't like doing this with their mp3 player for example, and want a Windows/iTunes sync-style instead. I prefer the control of just dropping the file in there, knowing its there, and updating it when the App Store tells me, or a newer version pops up in the file archive.

torpor said:
Actually, I am designing something new .. :)

I think the sooner Grandma learns about JTAG, the better. She needs it to play Harrier Attack, which .. admittedly .. she is good at. And it calms her down.. :*)

I feel sorry for your poor Grandma. ;)

Dead - but yeah, no one says you have to manage that directory tree forever :)

I'd put together a version checker and downloader etc, but Topor would rip me a new one :( :) I've got some games to write .. less flamage ;)

jeff

WizardStan said:
Bryce Leo said:
Don't get me wrong, multi-user is definitely the desired setup for many reasons. I just don't think the traditional idea of security is one of them.
Amen to that.

I guess it's time to put my coding hat back on. Get back in the game. I wish my job wasn't taking over my life. Sucks to get a "day off" and spend a full 8 hours in the server room because you're a perfectionist.

skeezix said:
I'd put together a version checker and downloader etc, but Topor would rip me a new one :( :) I've got some games to write .. less flamage ;)

Way to incite mob rage!

Seriously, just ignore my criticism and continue doing the great job you're doing!

torpor said:
skeezix said:

Way to incite mob rage!

Seriously, just ignore my criticism and continue doing the great job you're doing!
istockphoto_4073426-peace-dove-with-olive-branch.jpg

skeezix said:
We do have tiny root-only mini distribution if someone really wants to use it :)

Likewise, the Gentoo guys have ben at it for a year or more (or did they give up?)

I'm waiting for all the schismed off OSes to appear :) Its not hard to bring up another OS, sans Pandorification :)

jeff

We are still alive and kicking, I'll be putting out 0.3.0_rc4 this weekend. I found the sarcasm funny.

Back