Project Shield + Dolphin Emulator = GameCube Portable

EssoAir

Well the Nvidia Project Shield is now in preorder status. It is confirmed to have a Tegra 4. This means that it will be able to run the Android port of Dolphin Wii and GC emulator at full speed. This in turn, allows for a portable GameCube/Wii console. Can't wait till we see people putting small infrared LEDs above the screen to create a mock sensor bar.

Last edited by a moderator:
No no no. It doesn't need full desktop Open GL, does it? I thought any version that supported 3.0 calls would work. I know the Snapdragon 600 and 800 both work. I thought Tegra 4 would as well.

I haven't seen anything that says that Tegra 4 is OpenGL 3.0 compliant. I'm skeptical that this is the case.

Sonicadvance1 says he needs the following features not on Tegra 3, for instance:

Tegra 3 isn't capable of supporting Dolphin due to a couple things

- Lack of 24bit depth

- Lack of fragment shader depth (Only supported by Vivante GPUS and GLES3)

- Lack of sampler objects(Only supported in GLES3)

- Lack of Vertex Array Objects (except on the Ouya)

Probably a few other things I'm missing right now. But those are the main things
Tegra 4 has 24-bit depth but as far as I can find doesn't have fragment shader depth or sampler objects. I don't know what vertex array objects is supposed to mean (VBOs??), so it might have it or some equivalent.

But expecting full speed on 1.9GHz Cortex-A15s is still wildly optimistic, at least across a large sample of games excluding toy games like Bust a Move. Try running Dolphin on a quad core Sandy Bridge forced to 1GHz and see how well it does.

Didn't mean to upset anyone. I was just going off what Sonicadvance1 was saying. I trust that he knows what he's talking about. He made PPSSPP, for those who are unaware.

Sonicadvance1 said he was getting 27fps on his s4 which uses snapdragon 600. People with the one claim about 20fps on HTC one and HTC one s overclocked say they can get 15+ fps. Personally my nexus 4 gets less than one. Anyway the point is the snapdragon 600 can get that so the 800 should be awesome and the tegra 4 beats that (in benchmarks :/) so I would hope shield can run it well.

Sonicadvance1 said he was getting 27fps on his s4 which uses snapdragon 600. People with the one claim about 20fps on HTC one and HTC one s overclocked say they can get 15+ fps. Personally my nexus 4 gets less than one. Anyway the point is the snapdragon 600 can get that so the 800 should be awesome and the tegra 4 beats that (in benchmarks :/) so I would hope shield can run it well.
I know this was your first post and you're new, but please read. The reason the Snapdragon series is significant is the support for Open GL ES 3.0. Its not about benchmarks. Also, those FPS reports are for a test application that renders multicolored stars in a black 3D world. You can't even move around. Those numbers are completely arbitrary as they don't actually show performance of a game.

I know this was your first post and you're new, but please read. The reason the Snapdragon series is significant is the support for Open GL ES 3.0. Its not about benchmarks. Also, those FPS reports are for a test application that renders multicolored stars in a black 3D world. You can't even move around. Those numbers are completely arbitrary as they don't actually show performance of a game.
Thanks for not being a dick :) and I still have hope that one day I will be able to play Mario double dash on the go :)

Thanks for not being a dick :) and I still have hope that one day I will be able to play Mario double dash on the go :)
laptop? gamecube+batterypack+otg lcd? -_- amd a6-1450 -_-

laptop? gamecube+batterypack+otg lcd? -_- amd a6-1450 -_-
Not really pocketable :L, I emailed sonicadvance1 and he said project shield could play it. He just didn't know if it would be "playable"

Not really pocketable :L, I emailed sonicadvance1 and he said project shield could play it. He just didn't know if it would be "playable"
monstercameron is just trolling at this point. There's no way an A6-1450 even at 1.4GHz can run Dolphin full speed for more than a tiny number of games at best, and he knows it.

Dude, just wait for a Snapdragon 800 device. Personally I'm gunna get a GS4, but I doubt it will play games well

Back