Promoting The Pandora Via Youtube

craigix

Mega GP Mania
Website
twitter.com
Hello everyone,

Now we have our flashy new camera and can post more videos in high res I've noticed a fast increase in subscribers to the youtube account.

It's obvious now we messed up early on with the Pandora videos by posting across several accounts, if we had stuck to one we would have more subscribers, more views and more promotion via youtube.

Youtube videos are the main place that gets linked and brings new interest in the project, and it isn't just all emo kids, some really good contacts and developers have discovered the Pandora via youtube.

The main way we get noticed is if we post a video and get a lot of hits in that first day, that climbs in to the top 100 videos and that in turn gets more hits, that gets news sites interested and more publicity for the Pandora scene.

So we need some organisation with this, if you are not subscribed please consider subscribing, every little helps. The more developers that see and hear about the Pandora the better our software chances are.

I might make an 'introduction to the Pandora' video for people who are new to the scene, aimed at gamers and developers.

Any ideas for videos or tips on us getting the best out of our new camera and out of youtube are welcome, it's all pretty new to us so give some guidance :)

Heya, maybe I m going to make a small video tomorrow in which I present the pandora (also talking about my beagleboard), the whole webring and my personal projects, what I like and what not.
I guess this could help a bit - I'm not sure if I find for it though.

Craig, demo famous games, that'll help a lot. I would suggest demoing either Sonic and Knuckles or Sonic 2, one of the Metal Slug Games, Super Mario RPG (if Squidge's current build of his SNES emulator supports it), one of the famous games for the PSX like Castelvania: SotN or ResEvil, and your choice for the MAME game you would choose.

-God Ginrai

I have a thread running at a popular non-tech forum in the netherlands that I update regulary and there seems to be some persons getting enthausiastic there as well. I think 'crossposting' youtube links helps in general views. I also noticed that in a lot of game related forums the pandora is already known.

And of course my sig :rolleyes: Come to think of it I do my fare share of promoting hopefully people wont regard it as spam.

Theres a world of difference between a user of a device posting some emulation videos of stuff he's got running, and the producer of a device posting lots of emulation videos saying 'hey buy this and play these pirate games'.
Might be best to just imply it can through a montage than to show an actual game being played.

maxSteiner posted on May 20 2009 at 04:38 PM said:
Theres a world of difference between a user of a device posting some emulation videos of stuff he's got running, and the producer of a device posting lots of emulation videos saying 'hey buy this and play these pirate games'.
Might be best to just imply it can through a montage than to show an actual game being played.
What pirate games?

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix posted on May 20 2009 at 08:41 AM said:
Any ideas for videos or tips on us getting the best out of our new camera and out of youtube are welcome, it's all pretty new to us so give some guidance :)

Your idea of having a single "pandora related" account on youtube make sense. but could we simply create a tube channel, and you'll syndicate your vids in this channel.
(then I'll madly press <F5> key on this channel constantly :) )

Bosbeetle posted on May 20 2009 at 10:40 AM said:
maxSteiner posted on May 20 2009 at 04:38 PM said:
What pirate games?
Cutthroat Island!

915988_41613.jpg

Arr...

Ok, this might blow your mind, but Emulation is pretty much piracy.
I know someone is going to come on here and say 'but you're allowed a backup of stuff you own, this stuff is just for novelty purposes, thats just a serving suggestion man!' but I don't honestly think that many people have a complete snes/genesis/neogeo/gba games selection .

This issue isn't that important when you're just pirating/emulating old stuff where the copyright has run out, or is unlikely to be enforced, but there are risks with the newer games, since many of them are still ongoing franchises, if its the producer of the device showing it off.
Emulation on alot of hardware is different, because theres noone making money specifically of off it (for instance Intel aren't selling the processors off the back of emulation). But as has been said a million times 'The pandora is a diffeerent beast altogether'.

Honestly Im not saying it will happen.
Im not saying it might cause problems.
What I am saying is that the Pandora has been held back by implausable delays at every point (or so it seems), and it might be best to play it safe until the device is actually out.

Obviously the fact that its going to ship blank will help it a bit, but being as it is a device designed by members of the scene, differentiating the Pandora homebrew scene from the Pandora itself might be difficult if the ire of Square or Sony is raised.

, and it might be best to play it safe until the device is actually out.

Obviously the fact that its going to ship blank will help it a bit, but being as it is a device designed by members of the scene, differentiating the Pandora homebrew scene from the Pandora itself might be difficult if the ire of Square or Sony is raised.
I think you're right that it would be safer if users were posting these vids rather than Craig. Maybe Craig could turn to only showing off desktop apps and such for a while. He could show off IRC, FF3, pidgin, and other interesting desktop apps that we could have on the Pandora.

-God Ginrai

Yeah, I think if they're just listed under the Pandora chanels favourite videos it should be fine, it's only if it were Evil Dragon or Craig or someone posting 'Tekken 3 running full spead on Pandora videos' that it becomes a risk :D

Game Informer Magazine has a section called Connect Gear, which showcases new gadgets. I don't know what's involved in getting something like the Pandora put in the magazine, but the editor in chief's name is Andy McNamara, and his email address is andyATgameinformer.com.

Game Informer Magazine is one of the biggest, if not THE biggest game magazine in the United States. The Pandora would soar with the kind of exposure you would get if you could get it put in there.

pferguso posted on May 20 2009 at 11:36 AM said:
Game Informer Magazine has a section called Connect Gear, which showcases new gadgets. I don't know what's involved in getting something like the Pandora put in the magazine, but the editor in chief's name is Andy McNamara, and his email address is andyATgameinformer.com.

Game Informer Magazine is one of the biggest, if not THE biggest game magazine in the United States. The Pandora would soar with the kind of exposure you would get if you could get it put in there.
There's at least 2 game mags bigger than Game Informer. Nintendo Power and Electronic Gaming Monthly.

-God Ginrai

pferguso posted on May 20 2009 at 05:36 PM said:

The problem is , people wont like it if they see it right now, I think that is a good idea (if they can make it in the magazine) , but I think OP has to wait till a year after the release with this.

God Ginrai posted on May 20 2009 at 11:16 AM said:

There's at least 2 game mags bigger than Game Informer. Nintendo Power and Electronic Gaming Monthly.

-God Ginrai
>EGM
anyway, i wouldnt worry about rom games. its been done by distributors for the gp2x and gp32 before (i think that specific video was made by ed in fact) and nothing happened. its so commonplce and the benefits outweigh the cons it's nothing to be paranoid about

PoisonedV posted on May 20 2009 at 05:36 PM) [quote="God Ginrai posted on May 20 2009 at 11:16 AM said:

-God Ginrai
>EGM
anyway, i wouldnt worry about rom games. its been done by distributors for the gp2x and gp32 before (i think that specific video was made by ed in fact"] and nothing happened. its so commonplce and the benefits outweigh the cons it's nothing to be paranoid about[/quote]I'm sure that GamesTM and Retro Gamer ran paper ads saying the GP2X could emulate other systems. So I think that's cool.

craigix posted on May 20 2009 at 02:41 PM said:
Hello everyone,
Now we have our flashy new camera and can post more videos in high res I've noticed a fast increase in subscribers to the youtube account.

It's obvious now we messed up early on with the Pandora videos by posting across several accounts, if we had stuck to one we would have more subscribers, more views and more promotion via youtube.

Youtube videos are the main place that gets linked and brings new interest in the project, and it isn't just all emo kids, some really good contacts and developers have discovered the Pandora via youtube.

The main way we get noticed is if we post a video and get a lot of hits in that first day, that climbs in to the top 100 videos and that in turn gets more hits, that gets news sites interested and more publicity for the Pandora scene.

So we need some organisation with this, if you are not subscribed please consider subscribing, every little helps. The more developers that see and hear about the Pandora the better our software chances are.

I might make an 'introduction to the Pandora' video for people who are new to the scene, aimed at gamers and developers.

It would also help a great deal if people with a lot of subscribers feature the pandora video on their channel.

I don't know if you plan on doing this, but if you get enough subscribers you can become a partner and maybe you could take the money that gets made as a partner and put it in the developer fund?

You might also want to advertise on youtube.

We can also do this for the WIZ.

Chris

EDIT: There is also a fine line between a fan video of the Pandora and outright spam. Anything that looked like a commercial would be quickly marked as spam and taken down (and rightfully so, look what spam did to usenet). Usenet is nearly unusable because of the spam to content ratio is so bad.

I also agree with the other posters here that advise to tread lightly with the emulators. Imagine if Sony were to file a lawsuit to stop the distribution of the Pandora. Does OP have the money to fight them? Even if they do, they could delay it forever. Maybe they should stick to the old games and open source games.

I think that on the emulators front the ipod defence should be used, if emulation (ie playing your old games) is illegal, then so is copying your old CDs, tapes and records on to an ipod and playing them on that.

So I'm not too worried about emulation, well not as much as i used to be.

Back