Ps2 Linux?

gary.mckeown

Website
Visit site
just looked on ebay to pass a bit of time and came across a ps2 setup that came with linux development stuff.

i've looked around and found that its around £120 for the ps2 linux, keyboard, mouse, monitor cable & 40gb HDD.

has anyone seen/got/used this, looks like it could be pretty good to use for some ps2 developing.

Cheers

Gaz

I have not used it, but I heard that they restrict part of the PS2 hardware that you can use. I would just go for a decent modchip like DMS4 Pro.

Had it, ditched it.
It was only quasi linux. Required the DVD to boot. Required a sync on green SVGA monitor and really expensive adpater cable to make text readable.

Actually installed nastily, and I'll stress that. When you installed it you had to watch a clock for a certain amount of seconds to go by and then BLINDLY press keys on keyboard. Took three tries to get it right. finally had a console after reboot.

Text was almost unreadable on TV screen. No access to kernel. Networking worked good. Gaming and emulation was slow (PS2 has only 32 mB of RIMM).

Compiling things could take DAYS.
The thing was functional and had excellent support. Just was thoroughly not an enjoyable experience. As mentioned above PS2 hardware was mostly inaccessible from that environment. They made it accessible with modules in the Run Time Environment, but was still mostly crippled. Programming in 3D on 5 processors is a little beyond my capabilities, so the novelty wore off quickly. Anything you programmed in that environment would run only in that environment, if at all.

It's a good experience if you want to learn linux by trial and error(you quickly learn how NOT linux it is), other than that, I'd say stay away from it.

If you decide to get it get used to "./configure && make && make install" followed by up to a full day of watching text scroll on the screen VERY slowly.

Just my thoughts :)

Back