PS3 Move

Fzero

Advanced Member
I just got it last night and was up too late playing it.

Only the freebie demos but I hear ResEvil is on the cards and that will kill it!

It's so acurate, more than I thought it would be.

Now I prey that the following get made for it...

Point Blank

Operation Wolf

Time Crisis

then I'll be a happy chap and sorted while I await my Pandora

I'm a sinister lefty so was excluded from the Time Crisis fun on PS3 before, stoopid g-con right hand only piece of crap, the gun attachment for Move looks pretty sweet too

Need more shooters

I'm preying for Star Wars, if this is as accurate as it seems to be lightsaber battles will be immense! :D

I thought Resident Evil 4 on the Wii was fantastic, so if there is a new one for the Move I might just get me one.

I'm preying for Star Wars, if this is as accurate as it seems to be lightsaber battles will be immense! :D
I don't know what the point of lightsaber fighting would be with a one-way, absolutely-positioned control system like Wii or Kinetic or Move.

If you and your opponent try to cross swords on screen, your real-life imaginary swords would just be going through each other. Then the game thinks, "Oh he moved his controller / hand somewhere else" and the inverse kinematics flip out as the swords awkwardly lock together even though they're nowhere near the player's hand.

Also, you can't transmit force. In movies, when you lock swords with the villain, it's tense, because you're supposed to be pushing each other or something. Like, the villain is pushing you off a cliff, maybe. But with motion control, you only have a position. Since there's no force feedback, you can't really push forwards, or you'd just be pushing into the space behind the other guy's sword. Your gesture would be horribly unmatched with what the screen is showing.

I don't think sword fighting could make any sense on a motion-controlled system. Not movie sword-fighting, anyway. Fencing might work, to an extent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what the point of lightsaber fighting would be with a one-way, absolutely-positioned control system like Wii or Kinetic or Move.

If you and your opponent try to cross swords on screen, your real-life imaginary swords would just be going through each other. Then the game thinks, "Oh he moved his controller / hand somewhere else" and the inverse kinematics flip out as the swords awkwardly lock together even though they're nowhere near the player's hand.

Also, you can't transmit force. In movies, when you lock swords with the villain, it's tense, because you're supposed to be pushing each other or something. Like, the villain is pushing you off a cliff, maybe. But with motion control, you only have a position. Since there's no force feedback, you can't really push forwards, or you'd just be pushing into the space behind the other guy's sword. Your gesture would be horribly unmatched with what the screen is showing.

I don't think sword fighting could make any sense on a motion-controlled system. Not movie sword-fighting, anyway. Fencing might work, to an extent.
You're right that force feedback (pun accidental but kept anyway), or lack thereof, is a problem, but its great that the technology is at the point where there are just logistical things like that to overcome. Kind of like how to fit two DS screens on the Pandora :p

I'm sure somebody will come up with an ingenious solution to make it work. If I think of anything I'll let you know :D

@dargarf I completely missed that arcade game, how did it work on that? Or was that the problem, it didn't?

@dargarf I completely missed that arcade game, how did it work on that? Or was that the problem, it didn't?

you had a lightsaber handle (that was better than a wiimote btw), obviously attached to the machine (chained so it's not stolen, used accelerometers), it was kind of like house of the dead style cinematic gameplay, like first person etc, with blocking blaster shots, attacking darth vader etc. and of course no force feedback. could employ a gyro system for force feedback (ever held one of those gyro balls, they can nearly break your wrist off if you move them too fast)

There is a game already out that is sword fighting, to a degree, and also you use the other controller...forget it's name but the equivilent to the wii nunchuck...to do force type moves. In this one you use it to bash your shield in the enemies boat :)

skip to about 3:20 you will see what I mean

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Mnggr-ycbro?feature=oembed

I've not got that one myself though, I just d/ling Heavy Rain Move edition demo

One let down with the Wii that I had was a lot of the time it didn't respond to movements, it felt like something wasn't fast enough to register movements. A lot of games sometimes my movements registered and sometimes not.

I'm not going to go out and buy this until I see what Microsoft is going to have, it will be interesting to see who has the best movement response. The Wii had some good games but it was frustrating because like I said it seemed like it wasn't sensing my movements accurately so I never got 100% into games. Also, guns SUCK on the Wii. I really really wanted to shoot stuff up but all those gun things to put Wiimotes into were so inaccurate and without them you were basically just holding a Wiimote, even then it was inaccurate. If Sony of Microsoft can make a good shooting game I have to say I'll get one.

I thought the wii gun was alright, I only played RE4 and Zelda with it though, bit was alright

wii-guns.jpg

I got the gun add on for the MOVE now too, and of course it's far more responsive than wii one as the MOVE is more so than the wiimote anyway.

Go test the Sony one in shop or somewhere if you can, I think you'll be happy with it's acuracy, I can't fault it yet.

On that gadgetshow clip you see him playing SOCOM with it, but I'm also waiting for a more arcade style shooter.

Next month I think the new TIME CRISIS : Razing Storm

that will be insta-buy for me, comes with a couple other shoot em ups bundled too apparently

http://iphone.gamespot.com/site?sid=gamespot_ip&pid=Games.detail&G_platform=All&gameId=997880

The xbox thing I'm not so sure will be as acurate as you have NO controller at all, just picks up your arms and legs waving about everywhere, I was hyped by the first proj Natal vids but I can't see acuracy being as good, of course I still look forward to trying it though when someone I know gets it

you had a lightsaber handle (that was better than a wiimote btw), obviously attached to the machine (chained so it's not stolen, used accelerometers), it was kind of like house of the dead style cinematic gameplay, like first person etc, with blocking blaster shots, attacking darth vader etc. and of course no force feedback. could employ a gyro system for force feedback (ever held one of those gyro balls, they can nearly break your wrist off if you move them too fast)
That's quite a good idea. I've got one of those gyro balls and I can see the potential; no idea how feasible it is though. I was thinking more of a software solution for the Move though. Maybe if it were to vibrate to let you know your strike has been blocked, and then you have to return to your guard before you can strike again?

I thought the wii gun was alright, I only played RE4 and Zelda with it though, bit was alright
I thought the accuracy of the Wiimote was spot on in RE4. I didn't try it with any gun attachment but that wouldn't've made it any worse I don't think. I also played Quantum Of Solace, hoping for GoldenEye with control as good as RE4, but was disappointed :(

Nice pic btw, is this from a shop? Never seen the Wii shotgun before :eek: I'm now tempted to collect light guns from years gone by and set myself up a similar display :D

I never played the Wii version of RE4 but House of the Dead and a Cabelas hunting game wasn't at all accurate. The gun attachments are cool but I think they lower the accuracy quite a bit.

I don't own any of the 3 systems but the move has me intrigued. I still want to wait for MS to get theirs out before I decide, I'll wait until at least December before I make a decision. I don't need to get a Wii because everyone I know has one of those but no PS3 owners I know are planning on the move for a while and no one that owns an xbox are at all sold on what MS is doing. I don't know, I'll wait and see.

Tickles that img isn't a shop I know, it's from this article:

http://asia.cnet.com/crave/2008/01/09/wii-need-guns-lots-of-guns/

It's a good look having a lighthun display rack though, you should do it :)

Exodous If you were local in London you could test your skills on my Move, def try get a go on one though, think you will like the acuracy of it..

Also with the wii one you have to actually aim up your shots on the calibration setup.

The Move is a bit dif, I think due to the fact the cam actually detects where the orb on end of controller is, the calibration seemed not to need so much doing, just a general point at it but then it is done precise

I think it could be done to a degree. Think of it not as direct 1:1 absolute control, but as "try to get to this position" control. So when you move with no obstacles you get lag-free 1:1 control. When something blocks your sword, your character reacts to it even if you don't. Then the character attempts to get to the same position as you are. This would even reward immersed gameplay, such as mimicking the preset animations, because you could get the direct control back as soon as the animation stops as you would both already be in the same position.

Comments? :)

EDIT: Re: sword-locking: the game could show a "ghost" version of the character to show your position when the two are out of sync. Something like shaking the controller "behind" the other sword could be interpreted as pushing, so you'd get this shake-off contest every time there's a sword-lock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time Crisis is good on this with Move. I treated myself to a copy yesterday and played through the modes, comes with full version of TC4, the newer Razing Storm which also has all game modes, arcade, online, story. Also comes with a 3rd game, a pirate one which probably was out on arcade too but I missed it or don't remember it anyway, decent though and again comes with all the modes.

Online modes offer a free roam style shooter more like COD and those games.

Good title for the Move I think

I've got Time Crisis 4 with two PS move controllers, it's awesome, especially the arcade mode!

PS: If you gonna get TC4, buy a gun-attachment to it, can get that from DX.com for less than 10$ :)

So anyone have both the Move and Kinetic? Which one is better? I'm leaning towards the PS3 as it has blu-ray and I still don't have a blu-ray player.

I have the gun attachment, essential for these games IMO, the the Deadstorm Pirates game on it is taking my time at moment, frantic shooter.

Iv not played the kinect properly yet, only in the shop some demo thing that was rolling. But it seems it will be too much jumping and waving about with no controller whatsoever, for the price of it it's obviously better tech but I don't think it's for me, the Move is a good balance and can still play most games with it sitting down if i want, not sure how kinect games manage that, I think it's best for those dancing and rock star games which don't interest me at all

Back