Psp And Natural Light

KickinWing

Arguable Idiot
Website
Visit site
I took my GP32 and my PSP to the flea market on Sunday to keep me from being too bored while waiting for people to buy stuff from me. I first pulled out the GP32 and no probs until the batteries died, i then pulled out the PSP and holy shit, it was unplayable. I turned the backlight off and still unplayable. Is this a common problem with PSPs that they really really suck ass outside in natural light?

How do you turn the bg-light off? :huh:

I can just change brightness setting or switch the whole screen off...

And yeah, it really really sucks in daylight...

in the 1.5 firmware, under power settings, there is an option to turn off the backlight and when i did it didn't turn the whole screen off, but didn't make any difference at all.

The original GP32 was very good in natural light.

Never played the FLU.

The BLU was unplayable in natural light.

In my opinion the PSP is better than the BLU. At least I can play it in natural light.

yeah my NLU was awesome in natural light and my flu is very good as well, never played a blu. But compared to my DS's backlit screen, the PSP is horrible. I couldn't believe it.

in natural light my psp is HORRIBLE, completely unplayable. i have to play it indoors or during a very cloudy day outside. my oldschool GBA/w afterburner is heaps better than my psp outdoors.

That's why I got a FLU instead of a BLU... best of both worlds. What they need to do with a portable is have a thin mirror like membrane that is transparent through the back and place this between the backlight and LCD. Then you can have a backlight indoors and still enjoy natural light outdoors. Was thinking about modding a BLU this way...

Edited for typos

Yes, the DS uses a semitransparent reflective TFT wheras the PSP just uses a normal TFT screen, so it is unplayable without the backlight or in natural light. Just another fact which seems to indicate Sony doesn't really know what the purpose of a handheld is.

Kop_007 posted on May 31 2005 at 08:16 PM said:
The original GP32 was very good in natural light.

Never played the FLU.

The BLU was unplayable in natural light.

In my opinion the PSP is better than the BLU. At least I can play it in natural light.

The BLU+ screen is much better in natural light, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the DS uses a semitransparent reflective TFT wheras the PSP just uses a normal TFT screen, so it is unplayable without the backlight or in natural light. Just another fact which seems to indicate Sony doesn't really know what the purpose of a handheld is.

Fanboy!!!!

:p

would something like that help? to be honest, i don't play much outside, but the day i was about to, i was dissapointed :(

KickinWing posted on May 31 2005 at 01:03 PM said:
I took my GP32 and my PSP to the flea market on Sunday to keep me from being too bored while waiting for people to buy stuff from me. I first pulled out the GP32 and no probs until the batteries died, i then pulled out the PSP and holy shit, it was unplayable. I turned the backlight off and still unplayable. Is this a common problem with PSPs that they really really suck ass outside in natural light?

Dude I've been complaining about this here on the boards since I bought my first import PSP back in December. Most games are unplayable in bright/sunny light. There are a few that are manageable, the brighter colored games like Lumines or Hot Shots Golf, as long as you can find a decently shady spot I guess.

With an external power source (like the Pelican Power Brick external battery which I'm still using and loving despite some people thinking they are junk) you can turn the PSP up to the fourth brightness setting which does help for playing games out in the sun, but some darker games like Metal Gear Acid are still completely unplayable.

I have a BLU + and it works great outdoors on a sunny day, and also works good at my office with the backlight off under the offices flourescent lights.

The DS screens work exactly the same as the BLU + though the touch screen is noticeably darker than the top screen.

I agree Sony really dropped the ball with the non reflective screen and have really limited people on when and where they can enjoy their PSP's. Some companies have made screen protectors that can also double as visors for blocking direct sunlight and I've tried one of these but it didn't really help much.

It's really akward.... it seems that about 50% of the people on here have no problems playing their BLU's out in the sun while 50% say it was absolutely unplayable. Even among BLU+ guys... odd. I think it's just a matter of how picky some of us are then :D because it stands to reason that all BLU+ screens are indeed the same.

*shrug* well aren't all BLU + 's using that Taiwanese screen now? You think they really do have more than one type of the Taiwanese screen?

*shrug* well aren't all BLU + 's using that Taiwanese screen now? You think they really do have more than one type of the Taiwanese screen?

i wouldnt put it past them :D

but im sure that they are the same.

Back