Psp Killing Gp32 Homebrew Scene ?

mr.mirko

Certified Guru
Website
mirkoroller.de
Okay,

you all know, the psp is cracked.
It is possible to use a gcc crosscompiler with r4000 target, to compile psp homebrew stuff.
The psp is hacked, you can run your homebrew stuff on it. At this time only on 1.0 Firmware machines, but i bet in the next weeks the 1.5 firmware is hacked too.

The machine is hacked since 3 weeks, and the net offers new homebrew stuff for the psp, everyday.
Whats out now ?

Gameboy Color Emulator
Snes Emulator
HomebreDemos
growing every day.

From the coders site, the psp is a very easy to program machine,it offers a 2D framebuffer !!! , here is a little code example:

Code:
#define SCREEN_WIDTH  480
#define SCREEN_HEIGHT 272
#define PIXELSIZE	1     
#define LINESIZE	512     
#defineFRAMESIZE	0x44000
char *pg_vramtop=(char *)0x04000000;

pspDisplaySetMode(0,SCREEN_WIDTH,SCREEN_HEIGHT);
pspDisplaySetFrameBuf(pg_vramtop+(pg_showframe?FRAMESIZE:0),LINESIZE,PIXELSIZE,1);

So, now the psp is set to: 480x272 , and *pg_vramtop is pointing th the framebuffer. Easy enought ?
pspDisplaySetMode, pspDisplaySetFrameBuf, are functions, build in the psp firmware, so you need no special SDK to start coding for the psp, all libs are already in the psp firmware.

I think we can expect wonderful things on this machine in the Future, lets compare the Hardware of both machines:

------GP32------
CPU: arm9tdmi, 32bit+bus, 166Mhz on most machines
RAM: 8MB for all things, like Sound, framebuffer, main Programm.
170Euro, at gbax

-------PSP-------
CPU: MIPS R4000 32-bit core,128-bit bus,333MHz
RAM: 8Mb Ram, 2MB Framebuffer (and 3D textures)
199Euro at lik-sang

So is the psp the gp32 killer or not ? I think we can expect wonderful things from this machine in the next weeks. And btw, where can i get a new psp with 1.0 firmware ? :)

SNES EMU ALREADY???? No way!! Anyone know how good it's running so far???

god I haven't even been paying attention to the PSP homebrew scene... I had no idea it was already moving along so briskly. You got any links to the SNES emu? Thank god I haven't reflashed my japanese 1.0 firmware one yet...

I'm VERY glad to hear it's so easy to code for... this definately means there will be great things and rapidly. gaaaaaaaawd I love this little machine!

dammit.. two...more...paychecks......

The gp32_console will never die in my heart :rolleyes:

if at all possible can someone please post some good links for PSP hacking and homebrew? I'm doing google searches left and right and coming up with mostly crap blogs talking ABOUT PSP hacking but no real details on how to do it or files to run.

No, PSP will not kill the GP32 homebrew scene... PSP Would be an Excellent homebrew playing machine, but Sony dont seem to want that to happen with the updates they release :p

Im guessing Sony might use this as a money making advantage and release a UMD disc that contains emulators so gamers can save their roms to the Memory Card / stick and put the UMD disc in with the different Emulators on :)

when the psp is completly open it will/may be a realy good homebrew machine and can offer evrything gp haves and propably a bit more, when 1.5 is cracked i will for sure buy a psp.
But i dont think any machine can "kill" another, it never happend, and it never will.
and gp32 basicialy haves allready evrythingit needs, and after fday i think the platform is "completed", time to move to a new toy. :)
But taht dont mean that you dont play anymore with the old toy :)

Steve-O posted on May 16 2005 at 03:42 PM said:
No, PSP will not kill the GP32 homebrew scene... PSP Would be an Excellent homebrew playing machine, but Sony dont seem to want that to happen with the updates they release :p

Im guessing Sony might use this as a money making advantage and release a UMD disc that contains emulators so gamers can save their roms to the Memory Card / stick and put the UMD disc in with the different Emulators on :)
It'd be illegal, not to mention piratastic. A huge company like sony could be sued.

Hasn't the PSP got 32mb ram?

Besides Emulators aren't everything. Gp32 has loads of good homebrew games.

Last edited by a moderator:
Steve-O posted on May 16 2005 at 02:42 PM said:

hahaha!

I assume that was a joke. I can't really see ninty or sega being happy with sony releasing and charging for emulators for their systems.

another system can kill another. Game.com got killed by, well, everything else.
Gameboy also had its share of kills.

bast525 posted on May 16 2005 at 02:25 PM said:
SNES EMU ALREADY???? No way!! Anyone know how good it's running so far???

god I haven't even been paying attention to the PSP homebrew scene... I had no idea it was already moving along so briskly. You got any links to the SNES emu? Thank god I haven't reflashed my japanese 1.0 firmware one yet...

I'm VERY glad to hear it's so easy to code for... this definately means there will be great things and rapidly. gaaaaaaaawd I love this little machine!
There is one photo of what is claimed to be a Snes emu. It's not released yet if it is real, and judging by the speed of the GBC emu, don't expect anything to be playable yet.
Not that it particularly matters since only people with very early Japanese v1.0 PSPs can play homebrew, and they are getting forced to upgrade if they want to play any new games.

Vimacs posted on May 16 2005 at 11:10 AM said:
when the psp is completly open it will/may be a realy good homebrew machine and can offer evrything gp haves and propably a bit more, when 1.5 is cracked i will for sure buy a psp.
But i dont think any machine can "kill" another, it never happend, and it never will.
and gp32 basicialy haves allready evrythingit needs, and after fday i think the platform is "completed", time to move to a new toy. :)

I don't see the PSP killing the GP32. The PSP will probably be more successful(get more sales, make more money for the company), but that's for several reasons... For one thing, Sony is a lot better known than GamePark in america and everywhere else the PSP is being sold. Sony has 3rd party support for commercial games. It's not made for emulation at all. Maybe the GP32 will fade away within a year from now, but I wouldn't say that the PSP killed it. the GP32 isn't very popular to begin with, compared to the PSP.

It's not complete until we get an OSNES9XGP 0.3 or other emulator with the same features(savable configuration options, save state support) but without the grey bar. Even if it's not full speed(Super mario world runs at about 95% for me, it's the fastest thing I've tested, but I play mostly RPG's... and speed doesn't really matter there, as long as it's not like 1 frame per second), as long as we have an SNES emulator that fits the previously mentioned criteria, the platform will be completed... Also, a Red Alert port couldn't hurt(but I don't think it's capable of running it anyway... which sucks. Oh well).

Magus 86 posted on May 16 2005 at 04:26 PM said:
Vimacs posted on May 16 2005 at 11:10 AM said:

I don't see the PSP killing the GP32. The PSP will probably be more successful(get more sales, make more money for the company), but that's for several reasons... For one thing, Sony is a lot better known than GamePark in america and everywhere else the PSP is being sold. Sony has 3rd party support for commercial games. It's not made for emulation at all. Maybe the GP32 will fade away within a year from now, but I wouldn't say that the PSP killed it. the GP32 isn't very popular to begin with, compared to the PSP.

It's not complete until we get an OSNES9XGP 0.3 or other emulator with the same features(savable configuration options, save state support) but without the grey bar. Even if it's not full speed(Super mario world runs at about 95% for me, it's the fastest thing I've tested, but I play mostly RPG's... and speed doesn't really matter there, as long as it's not like 1 frame per second), as long as we have an SNES emulator that fits the previously mentioned criteria, the platform will be completed... Also, a Red Alert port couldn't hurt(but I don't think it's capable of running it anyway... which sucks. Oh well).

Oh, will someone tell him that the BLU+ CAN run snes games without the grey bar???? He won;t stop until we do!

I can't remember which one you need, but it can! Cos I have!

I already know about them... there's 2 of them, but they're both flawed. SNES9XGP won't let you save your menu configurations, and it has no save states. It's also a lot slower than OSNES9XGP 0.3. OSNES9XGP 0.1 doesn't let you save your menu configurations either, and it crashes when you try to turn on sound with Seiken Densetsu 3. The save state functions always error too, and it's also slower than 0.3. OSNES9XGP 0.3beta is the best one we have, but it has the bar.

Magus 86 posted on May 16 2005 at 05:53 PM said:
I already know about them... there's 2 of them, but they're both flawed. SNES9XGP won't let you save your menu configurations, and it has no save states. It's also a lot slower than OSNES9XGP 0.3. OSNES9XGP 0.1 doesn't let you save your menu configurations either, and it crashes when you try to turn on sound with Seiken Densetsu 3. The save state functions always error too, and it's also slower than 0.3. OSNES9XGP 0.3beta is the best one we have, but it has the bar.
well hex fix it then!

Don't you think that if I knew how to do that, I would have already done it?

Hmmm, the 1.0 PSP Firmware has been dumped, and there is now a way to degrade the firmware. However, either it looks like no one is brave enough to try it, or people have and it's screwed up there PSP. There's certainly no mention of success, so whilst the dump is available on a few websites, I'm not going to try it just yet, as I don't fancy a £150 brick.

Hopefully soon, they'll be able to flash it properly, and maybe even debrickify PSPs...

I don't think it's gonna kill the GP32.

Yes, the PSP is nicer and more powerful.

But emulationwise: I'm betatester for Rlyehs emus. And though they're not out for you yet, these are the best emulators I've ever seen on any system (including PC).

It really makes fun playing Coleco or GB fullspeed with sound being sooo close to the original, without a single crack or anything else.

Why should I take a large PSP with me, when the GP32 can do the same, but is smaller?

Okay, PSP is better for newer systems like SNES, but GP32 is smaller :)

Same for homebrew:
There are already lots of good, small homebrew apps for GP32. I have fun playing them. And I will have fun even if I have a PSP.

EvilDragon posted on May 16 2005 at 07:36 PM said:
I don't think it's gonna kill the GP32.

Yes, the PSP is nicer and more powerful.

But emulationwise: naananaananaanaa :p

Corrected that one. :D

Not like we all aren't on the edge of our seats anyways... :p

People... C=64 ain't dead. Think about it. B)

The only time a console killed another was, when I accidentaly dropped my NES onto my GB. I don't think the PSP will kill the GP32 scene. It will slow it down at most. Nothing can stop the GP32 :lol: . Resistance is futile!!!

Back