Psp Os Sourcecode Can Be Ported?

paolo

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hi there, I've never coded in so low-level as kernel zone, but I know that a late version of a psp (custom)firmware was released as source. I know that psp is mips while pandora is arm based, but would you imagine possible porting this firmware code to some kind of emulator/alternative bootable os? And if it can be done and it's going to be done (just let's suppose) would psp applications be playable or they may imply some kind of incompatibility regardless if the os is 99% the same?

I did a mistake, wanted to post under pandora section (developers?) please can someone move? tnx

There was a port os shell that visual represents Sony Cross Media Bar (or how they call it)

Isn't the PSP OS copyrighted by Sony? In which case, anyone found with it is likely to be sued.

Secondly, the OS itself is useless without the hardware.

So no, no PSP apps would be playable using this.

Also, I don't see the point moving this to the Pandora section.

I will however leave it open just in case someone else can give more info. Like a newsposting, or the fact that this is actually a gui that someone made, etc.

paolo said:
Hi there, I've never coded in so low-level as kernel zone, but I know that a late version of a psp (custom)firmware was released as source. I know that psp is mips while pandora is arm based, but would you imagine possible porting this firmware code to some kind of emulator/alternative bootable os? And if it can be done and it's going to be done (just let's suppose) would psp applications be playable or they may imply some kind of incompatibility regardless if the os is 99% the same?
I did a mistake, wanted to post under pandora section (developers?) please can someone move? tnx

The full source of 3.10OE has been stolen from team Wildcard and released, but that's only the enhancements to the original firmware. That means that this source is only about 5% of the 3.10OE firmware as it should be installed on a PSP. The other 95% is the most important part, as it contains all basic firmware functions and no source is available for it. However, if one could manage to steal the full source from Sony, he'd do the whole scene a BIG favour. But it's one of Sony's best kept secrets, so don't expect that to happen.

In other words, porting the PSP firmware is an impossibility. On the other hand, emulation of the PSP should not be to far away, since almost everything is done by calling firmware routines. So for a basic emulation, it shouldn't be necessary to emulate the PSP's hardware if you can write an alternative firmware that performs the same functions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back