Psp Screen Not True 16:9?


bast525

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2004
Messages
1,653
Well maybe it's the software I'm using, I dunno.

I've been ripping DVD movies to put on my PSP and watch from my 1gb duo stick, and I notice that no matter what I do, the movies dont want to fit right, and are always a little 'squeezed in' horizontally. I'm using the ripping software and video format conversion software linked to from the endgadget page that tells how to put the movies on there. 3GP and I forget the name of the ripping software.

And I am trying to run the movie in all four different screen modes on the PSP... in "Full Screen" mode, no part of the image is cropped off, so if the PSP is true 16:9 (as I KNOW the movies are as these are rips from real retail DVD movies), why does the image still have to squish horizontally to fit fully on the screen? I've noticed this with movie previews and such that I've downloaded online as well.

Here is further evidence of this mathmatically, though the small difference I get doesn't seem to account for the amount of squishing I'm seeing:

16 divided by 9 = 1.777777777777777 to infinity
480 divided by 272 (the screen resolution) = 1.76470588236

a small difference, to be sure :) so... I'm confused... am I doing something wrong or what??? And please, dont just reply "3GP sux" :p
 

junker

Very Active Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
1,290
yeah, you can't use standard asp mp4 codecs like div/xivd.
and the way that engadget does it seems very in efficient. first rip dvd to one format, then transcode/convert to psp's format. have you tried using something like nero recode 2 to rip a movie directly to the h.264 codec? it's supposed to bring better compression ratio than even xvid and is also supposed be using the codec that psp has support for.
i'm not sure if it works, though.
 

finty

what is this
Joined
Feb 17, 2004
Messages
4,985
Age
32
Location
Ireland
Website
Visit site
3gp sucks.

It must must be that tiny differance causing the problem. Oh and it is .7 reccuring.
 

CABBAGES

Very Active Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2003
Messages
1,151
Location
SCOTLAND
Website
Visit site
is it not something to do with the fact your encoding it in 4:3 ? then your stretching it to fit the screen. Or have you tryed the official image convertor 2 from sony ? and this may be another way to make you buy the umd movies as they are goin to be 16:9 without needing to stretch them so they will be much better quality.
 

toxibunny

Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2004
Messages
787
bast525 posted on Feb 15 2005 at 11:44 AM said:
Here is further evidence of this mathmatically, though the small difference I get doesn't seem to account for the amount of squishing I'm seeing:

16 divided by 9 = 1.777777777777777 to infinity
480 divided by 272 (the screen resolution) = 1.76470588236


you have, in fact, just proved mathematically that PSP screen pixels aren't perfectly square :)
 
Last edited by a moderator:

bast525

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2004
Messages
1,653
I've asked myself a lot of the questions above.


i agree the endgadget way of doing it is a pain, but there doesnt' seem to be another way

No I haven't tried the official Sony image converter, I'm a cheap bastard and dont read Japanese :p

I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the fact that 3gp converts it to 320x240 first, but I would think converting to this format and then stretching to 16:9 it would still end up looking 'right' in the right ratio, and not look 'squeezed'. For example, I have a Sony Vega TV, which has a built in feature that it can compress it's usual 4:3 screen down to 16:9 widescreen... it jus 'squeezes' the image vertically. I have a few Hong Kong DVD's that are very obviously meant to run in 16:9, but have no option for it, so appear stretched vertically when I play them. But if I turn on the option thru the TV directly, the image gets squeezed back down, and looks perfect, with no obvious stretching or squeezing. I hope that explanation makes sense... anyways, I imagine it would work similiar on the PSP?


Maybe I need to get a ruler with really small measurements on it and measure the actual LCD? ;)
 

junker

Very Active Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
1,290
i know what you mean, but the problem is most likely 3gp. it converts it to that 4:3 320x240, which is why it doesn't end up looking right stretched again. i'm betting this is the problem. also, did you keep the 16x9 ratio in your video before you let 3gp handle it? and does 3gp output to any 16x9 resolutions?
 

kotd

Very Active Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2003
Messages
1,173
Website
Visit site
PSP only supports 320x240 playback off a memory stick, so it will be like on a GP32. You have to zoom in to get the widescreen effect.
 

finty

what is this
Joined
Feb 17, 2004
Messages
4,985
Age
32
Location
Ireland
Website
Visit site
That must be there ploy to get more people to buy UMD movies. I guess if homebrew becomes a possibility someone could code a player which supports 16:9.

Oh, BTW, 3gp converter .28 was released, supporting encodes in 16:9, anyone tried it?
 

Blah

Wanna Be Programmer
Joined
Dec 18, 2003
Messages
3,253
Age
32
Location
Oregon, USA
Website
Visit site
toxibunny posted on Feb 15 2005 at 09:51 PM said:
bast525 posted on Feb 15 2005 at 11:44 AM said:
Here is further evidence of this mathmatically, though the small difference I get doesn't seem to account for the amount of squishing I'm seeing:

16 divided by 9 = 1.777777777777777 to infinity
480 divided by 272 (the screen resolution) = 1.76470588236


you have, in fact, just proved mathematically that PSP screen pixels aren't perfectly square :)

C64 pixels were rectangular, that is, if the GEOS manual isn't lying :), so I wouldn't be suprised if PSP pixels weren't square.

Finty101 said:
That must be there ploy to get more people to buy UMD movies.

Hey...I was gonna say that. Also, $40 for a normally $20 movie on a 50cent UMD = Profit for Sony. :p
 
Last edited by a moderator:

kotd

Very Active Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2003
Messages
1,173
Website
Visit site
Blah posted on Feb 18 2005 at 04:02 AM said:
toxibunny posted on Feb 15 2005 at 09:51 PM said:
bast525 posted on Feb 15 2005 at 11:44 AM said:
Here is further evidence of this mathmatically, though the small difference I get doesn't seem to account for the amount of squishing I'm seeing:

16 divided by 9 = 1.777777777777777 to infinity
480 divided by 272 (the screen resolution) = 1.76470588236


you have, in fact, just proved mathematically that PSP screen pixels aren't perfectly square :)

C64 pixels were rectangular, that is, if the GEOS manual isn't lying :), so I wouldn't be suprised if PSP pixels weren't square.

Finty101 said:
That must be there ploy to get more people to buy UMD movies.

Hey...I was gonna say that. Also, $40 for a normally $20 movie on a 50cent UMD = Profit for Sony. :p

Incorrect the movies will be $20US in the US.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

bast525

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2004
Messages
1,653
shiiiii I was about to say, no way they could possibly hope to charge $40 a movie....


a new 3gp huh? well... as soon as I get another DVD drive to replace the one that just conked out on me so I can rip some movies to put on my MS, then I'll give that a try... considering how it usually takes me forever to get anything done, hopefully someone else here will try it out before me and let us know how it works :)
 

kotd

Very Active Member
Joined
Oct 1, 2003
Messages
1,173
Website
Visit site
I'll convert eventually. too busy playing, plus i only have a 32mb memory stick.........
 

trooper

Trooper`s watching you !!!
Joined
Apr 20, 2003
Messages
5,503
Location
The DarkSide (London)
Website
Visit site
finty101 posted on Feb 21 2005 at 04:14 PM said:
I'm converting BRII now, although I have no PSP to test it on.

You could always email the movie to the guy who has your psp. :p

Trooper






















I`M JOKING.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Top