GP32 PSX Emu?

deanollive

Hi guys just got my gp up and running (ACE) :)

I was wandering if there are any DOS based PSX emus, if so would it be possible to port this to the GP32 for basic games like Vib ribbon, everybodys golf, Alien triolgy?

Also does anyone know if a Duke3D port is on the way?

Cheers guys

1. Unfortunately a PSX emulator is highly unlikely/impossible, firstly because even basic Playstation games are way to big to fit on an SMC card, 2. The Gp32 only has 8MB of RAM so the memory isn't big enough to store game data, 3. The CPU is only 133 MHZ and 4. The GP32 isn't really capable of doing all the 3d graphics rendering required. Maybe we'll just have to wait till 2007 when the GP64 comes out.

As for the Duke Nukem3d port, slightly better news, the source code has recently been released, so maybe.

It would be possible, to emulate psx homebrew demos that are smaller than 128 megs and that use less than 8 meg memory.

GP32 has four times the ram of the PSX. And many games come in 128-256MB
without FMV/CD audio. It would be 640x480 games modes that would really hamstring the GP32. To be honest I think it could be done, but very slowly. The Dreamcast PSX emulator is only hitting 5fps (although it is in C, and not hitting the DC graphics hardware) so i'm not sure the GP32 could emulate it at any great speed.

If the games are to big just rip the games without sound ;) and to speed the emulator up a bit just don't use sound

Isn't there a full speed PSX emu on the DC now? The final release of Bleem?

Anyway, the DC has garphics hardware which can help in the speed up of things, the GP32 does not.

For 3d stuff look forward to PC ports rather than a PSX emu, a quake port would open up a LOT of pc games that use the engine, this is something which will happen commercially if the GP32 becomes popular enough.

-Craig

www.gbax.com

Never happen, it is just not possible or plausible. Anyone arguing that it CAN be done is very uneducated. Every game would have to be reprogrammed, what happens when a game is triggered to access the CD? Even if you ripped the FMV etc. out the games just wont work. There is no PSX emulator for the PocketPC, that is just BS. Bleem can run a COUPLE PSX games why ON EARTH could that be ported to the GP32?? Look at it this way, PSX emulation on the friggin Xbox is next to impossible so forget ANY pipedreams of it ever being on GP32. It is as ridicluous as thinking there could be an Xbox emulator on a Ti86 calculator...

ash =o)

ashVID posted on Apr 3 2003 said:
PSX emulation on the friggin Xbox is next to impossible
Can you please explain why, out of interest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bleem can run a COUPLE PSX games
The leaked bleem!cast plays around 50% of games (not perfectly, but still plays them). And the developers said it was only 30% finished at the time, and hadn't even been unveiled to the public yet. The final the MGS version was based on should have dang near perfect.

I don't see PSX emulation being near impossible, the Xbox is roughly two times the machine Dreamcast is. Even though bleem!cast was written for profit, Xbox has enough raw power to make up for that. Plus there are open source PSX emulators out there just waiting to be ported.

Every game would have to be reprogrammed, what happens when a game is triggered to access the CD? Even if you ripped the FMV etc. out the games just wont work.

Dude, all you need is a iso\bin file. Most PSX emulators support it, as do other CD based emulators.

Although I agree with the rest of the stuff you said, the GP32 is just way too underpowered to make a psx emulator practical.

The fact is that it's taking a lot of work just to get SNES emulators for the GP32 running at full speed, a playstation emulator almost certainly won't happen, but if it does it'll be a long way off. Now I've said that someone will release one tomorrow running Tekken 3 at 30FPS, and I'll look like an idiot, but I won't care because I'll be too busy playing it.

If we could have a psx emulator running at at crawling pace, it would be good as it would enable the next generation of gamepark to have a full speed psx emulator and would give gamepark an indication of the speed needed by the new gamepark for it to run psx. At the moment i can guess that if they make a gp64 it will be able to run the current version of snes9xgp at full speed, so a version of psx emu crawling on gp32 would probably go at full speed on gp64.

Pretty nice, it runs on a 220mhz arm at full speed, from what i have read, so i would like to see it on a gp even if it does go at 10fps :)

Even if a pllaystation emulator didn't work well it would still draw more attention to the gp32.

P.S. There was another psx emu for pocket pc but i can't find it <_<

If there is no psx emulator for pocket pc the what in the world is this

Heh, that emulator runs on an ARM system! That means it would be easy to port to GP32 :D
Still, due to size and speed there's no point. Maybe an N64 emulator :p

Bull. XBox-Linux already has Linux working on an XBox, and there quite a few emulators of all types and systems on Linux. If a PS emu is available for Linux, chances are it can be ported to Xbox-Linux (a Mandrake-based distro) easily, it may have already been done.

- Rico

People people.... emulation is not as easy comparing tech specs between the two machines. Many of the obstacles I brought up can be overcome but again, logistically it is not possible for GP32. There is work being done on a PSX emu for Xbox's running Linux. Check out www.xbox-scene.com for lots of info about Xbox and emulation. It is not as easy as some of you think, it has been a FAR greater challenge for the people who started the project than they thought.

Do you consider a program that runs a couple ripped games with reduced graphics, no sound and 10%speed an emulator?? There is NO PSX emulator for PPC, never will be, not possible until PPC's become WAY more powerful. It IS possible for someone to create an emulation of a single simple game but not the entire PSX hardware. By the way, as brought up before, a PSX emu would be useless do to the size of the games.

Also, I have the leaked version of Bleemcast and it plays about 10% of the 700 games I have in my PSX collection and it chokes on many of those.

Let's focus on perfecting the GBA, NES and SNES emulators for now.

ash =o)

I think people that talk about emulators of psx, n64 and so on are NOT rom lamers they want to exploit the gp's full power and want to show the world the power of the gamepark, i think it would be pretty impressive having crash bandicoot running for example (not full speed) just at least for the technical feat involve in making one, i couldnt care less if the emulator only ran one game, it would make the author of the psx emulator very proud of their acheivement ever if they do end up getting request mails everyday for them to optimised the emulator.

:D

i couldnt care less if the emulator only ran one game

Yeah, but with that approach it would be easier to just do a remake from scratch. Faster, and doesn't require mastery of the entire Playstation hardware. Plus I think, emulated or not, Crash would look good on the GP32. It can do 3D, as we have seen in Descent etc, so why not? ;)

- Rico

Well we are talking about 2 different things. True emulation of PSX will never happen but if someone devoted enough time they could possibly port a slow version of a 2D PSX game. Because of the way the PSX engine worked to render 3D graphics 3D scaling games would not be possible at any frame rate. You could prolly get Puzzle Fighter or something running. Personally I think it is just as impressive to have one SM card with 500+ NES games on it...

ash =o)

Back