Psx Quality

javaJake

Jacob Godserv
Website
myhumblecorner.wordpress.com
Maybe I'm a spoiled brat, having played on a really really nice N64 emulator called Project64, but I tried ePSXe, and the sound was terrible. I tried playing Vagrant Story (P.S. read the ratings before you play -_- ) and the footsteps sounded like the beeps of an old Palm VII. In Final Fantasy 4 and 7 the cinematic scene sounds at the beginning echoed strangely and managed to fit a few beeps in as well.

Then, during the short few minutes I played Vagrant, I watched my ol' 1.8 GHz P4 struggle to maintain 30 FPS during game-play. That made me wonder whether it was my video card's fault, and whether the Pandora will play all games at full speed. (And when I say full speed I mean 50+ FPS).

If you wanted me to sum up this entire post, it'd be curiosity about how similar the PSX experience on the Pandora will be to the original console.

Edit: 3 threads later, and I finally figured out that it isn't my grammar. It's the board editing the case of my letters in the thread topic. It should say "PSX". :p

javaJake said:
Maybe I'm a spoiled brat, having played on a really really nice N64 emulator called Project64, but I tried ePSXe, and the sound was terrible. I tried playing Vagrant Story (P.S. read the ratings before you play -_- ) and the footsteps sounded like the beeps of an old Palm VII. In Final Fantasy 4 and 7 the cinematic scene sounds at the beginning echoed strangely and managed to fit a few beeps in as well.

Then, during the short few minutes I played Vagrant, I watched my ol' 1.8 GHz P4 struggle to maintain 30 FPS during game-play. That made me wonder whether it was my video card's fault, and whether the Pandora will play all games at full speed. (And when I say full speed I mean 50+ FPS).
If you wanted me to sum up this entire post, it'd be curiosity about how similar the PSX experience on the Pandora will be to the original console.

Edit: 3 threads later, and I finally figured out that it isn't my grammar. It's the board editing the case of my letters in the thread topic. It should say "PSX". :p

I am in the same boat, It is hard to stay patient with all the speculation I am just going to get one and wait to see what happens. IMO I think one of the devs will take on the project because it will boost the "cred" of what the pandora is capable of, and well the simple fact of adding the psx library to the pandora resume will be awesome! there are some other post floating around hinting that psx emulation could be better than the psp's plus there are the factors of optimizing code,linux based and so on. I played bleem way back in the day on a crappy pc and it played pretty well. I am not expecting full speed psx on pandora but I think it could be done and it would definatly be a nice extra.

Last edited by a moderator:
Along those same lines, I'd also like to say that I'll be happy with the so-called poor quality I described. While I sound concerned, it really isn't that big. It'd just be nice.

Didnt they say they quick ported an emulator and it went fullspeed with no optimization?

zacaj said:
Didnt they say they quick ported an emulator and it went fullspeed with no optimization?
Really!? where was that at I must have missed it.

As I said in that other thread, we expect fulspeed right away. Compatibility should be at least the same as psx4gp2x, but we're going to work heavily on that as well. Sound will be the same quality of psx4gp2x (obviously, considering it's fullspeed so it's obviously better than non-fullspeed GP2X :p )

On my PC tests though, the sound emulation sounds very good :)

Yeah, you can't judge PSX emulation by what you have on your PC. There are so many variables with PC emus...

A better point of comparison is the PSP. A PSP clocked at 333Mhz can emulate the PSX almost perfectly at 60fps, so it should be no problem for Pandora at all.

To Tinnus,

If you happen to read this... what format will your PSX emu use for disk images? Because I have an interesting proposal for you - is it possible to support the PSP's compressed PSX eboot format? It's rather handy - makes the images nice and small and they decompress plenty fast from flash media. You also get some nice images for frontends too.

Prophet said:
Yeah, you can't judge PSX emulation by what you have on your PC. There are so many variables with PC emus...

A better point of comparison is the PSP. A PSP clocked at 333Mhz can emulate the PSX almost perfectly at 60fps, so it should be no problem for Pandora at all.

To Tinnus,

If you happen to read this... what format will your PSX emu use for disk images? Because I have an interesting proposal for you - is it possible to support the PSP's compressed PSX eboot format? It's rather handy - makes the images nice and small and they decompress plenty fast from flash media. You also get some nice images for frontends too.
That is a brilliant idea i love the way the eboot format handles on my psp and the customizable backgrounds would be sweet!

Prophet said:

I have actually considered that for some time, for psx4all as a whole. It shouldn't be hard since we know the format of the PS1 EBOOTs thanks to DA's work on reverse-engineering that. psx4all already has support for another kind of image compression, but it's kind of buggy at the moment.

All in all, I'll look forward to it being there ;)

Excellent!

I already have all my PSX games in PSP eboot format, so it would be great to use them on Pandora when the time comes.

Back