Psx4all Help

wamphyr88

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hi folks,

Apologies if this in the wrong section, and I've searched but couldn't find an answer to what I'm looking for.

I've installed psx4all, the latest beta, and am trying to get Final Fantasy VIII running on it (yes I own the original). I've extracted the disk images as .iso files using Nero (good / bad choice?) using standard PS1 extraction settings (all options enabled bar jitter correction, reading at 1x speed).

I've copied the iso images over and selected to load the game through the psx4all menu screen. It then gets to "Loading Game" and doesn't appear to do anything else.

I'm looking for some advice as to whether:
  1. My ISO images are naff and I should use something else to create them. If so, is there a guide anywhere how to do so?
  2. I've a corrupt install of psx4all
  3. Am I being impatient (waited about 5-10 mins for it to load?
  4. Anyone experienced the same with other games or with FF-VIII?
  5. What do I need to do to get it running?
I have the original disks for FF-VIII and can reproduce the images but I'd like a foolproof guide in setting it up to get it to work if anybody can help or advise :)

Thanks in advance

Steve

1st I say, try another game. I'm not entirely sure, but I think FF8 was copy protected, and the fixes may not be in place in the emulator.

2nd, try a different burning program to create the bin file. (the CD image needs to be the bin from a bin/cue format or a raw iso file renamed to bin)

Ok will do. It was the only FF game that I never got round to completing so thought it would be good to do it portable :)

Will give it a go tonight with another game (probably FF-VII ;) )

Thanks

the link is broken. I tried to download it too just right now and apparently the file is not there anymore.

Thanks for the info folks :)

sehs33, I'd read most of that thread looking for specific bits on FFVIII but some people said it worked, but mine didn't. I'm currently running the Beta 2 release of psx4all (which I assume is later than alpha 3 given dev cycles).

Just about to try Nuclear Strike using different software to create the image and see if that has any joy :)

Hurrah!!! Nuclear strike worked :) Well as far as the intro video anyway, then froze.

Of course....it helps if you have the rom file in the right place doesn't it :blink: :unsure:

What a tw*t :rolleyes:

Back to trying FF-VIII now ;)

Cheers all :)

FF8 and 9 pal have copy protection which doesn't have a fix on psx4all currently. I have tried both.

wamphyr88 posted on Sep 5 2006 at 08:21 PM said:
sehs33, I'd read most of that thread looking for specific bits on FFVIII but some people said it worked, but mine didn't. I'm currently running the Beta 2 release of psx4all (which I assume is later than alpha 3 given dev cycles).

Nope, this time Mr. Z is not following the regular standard because he didn't define the subversions, the Beta 2 you have was released before he started working on the dynarec, Alpha 3 is after he made the dynarec, so alpha 3a, 3b and 3c are newer than the Beta2 you have, were 3c is the latest.

In coding projects, as long as you don't have the subversion, you can't tell which is newer, the beta or the alpha.

Regarding the broken download link, I will ask the guys to list a new link now.

You are most welcomed :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah ok, in our software company, we always do an alpha then a beta which I thought was common practice. I'll consider myself told in this particular case ;)

Thanks again :)

Haha, you have to remember this is homebrew... not everyone goes by official procedures... I just incrememnt the decimal on each build... meh it works for me, and it make sense to me that I know which builds are newer...

LOL I'm new to this homebrew scene and it's hard to shake 13 years of industrial software development ;)

BTW managed to get my image the right size so that the protection patch could be applied :)

Really appreciate the help from all you guys in here :)

Mmm, maybe I wasn't clear enough, in my company, let's say we released v1.1, before we released it we had v1.1 alpha and then v1.1 beta, but right now, we are developing v1.2, this version will also have an alpha and beta states, so clearly, v1.2 alpha is newer than v1.1 beta.

A major difference between alpha and beta that alpha releases usually might contain main bugs that will cause the release not to fuction correctly or even to break, while releases in beta stage are usually more stable and need only some polishing, thus the current alpha release might contain some bugs that weren't found in the previous more stable betas, and this is why Mr. Z released alpha 3a, 3b and finally 3c.

Edit: Nope it is not, the lates version without huge issues is alpha 3c, which was released on the 26th of August.

13 years... does that mean you're going to be doing some GP2X devving? :)

Great stuff about the patch, hope the game loads for you now, if it does, you may have to tell where you got the patch. :p

And your welcome.

Sehs33, I think I'm with you now! I read it as alpha 3, i.e. the third alpha version, not version 3 alpha. Hence I assumed that version 2 beta (as was the name I found it under) was a later version as I was thinking it was the second beta as opposed to the third alpha :rolleyes: :lol:

If work commitments allow I will certainly have a go at devving :) Those 13 years have so far been spent doing solid C++ so might be of some use (and most of that time was on Unix B) ). Done some (dodgy) games programming as a hobby too :lol:

Now that I'm venturing into project management at work, I need to keep my dev skills up to scratch so could be a good venture.

Again dude, alpha 3 has three different releases :D
Alpha 3a, 3b and 3c, both 3a and 3b are not usable, they have great compatibility issues and the buttons are not working properly in them, so simply search for alpha 3c, the best thing you can do is to wait cause Mr. Z promised an update soon.

Ok will do :) The late date on that alpha 3 I found (no subversion in the filename) suggests it may be a late version, but if it doesn't work, I'll try and rediscover my patience and sit tight for an update ;)

Back