Psx4gp2x Dynarec Status Update

zodttd

Solving your premature emulation since the Tapwave
Website
www.zodttd.com
EDITED April 2, 07:
You may find the latest work in progress builds at: http://www.spookysoftsite.com/psx4gp2x/

Hi everyone,

I recently went back to the old psx4gp2x code and rewrote the dynarec and with Unai's new code plus my new dynarec things are much better. Some games are more compatible now as well.

Games such as Final Fantasy Tactics are running twice as fast as the fastest interpreter we wrote (which was faster than the old dynarec :p ). For instance, the 3D cathedral scene runs at a steady 20 FPS. This is an actual framerate as we are recording the frametimes.

Things I did to improve performance:
- Fixed the clearing of the icache/dcache
- Went from 8 regs for dynamic caching to 10!
- Changed the way immediates are loaded, and how branching is done.
- Redid so much ugly code it's hard to explain. :p

Though I made this dynarec very basic it is functional and I can build with it. I still have a lot of work to do on it. I am actually working on it right now even. Unai and Exophase have been a great help!

I am about to add performance to games using 3D routines in the GTE. I also have a lot of other tricks and tweaks to do so I'll update as much as possible. Some hard to run games such as Wipeout XL and Wipeout 1 run at 12 to 15 FPS in-game. And Tactics Ogre runs at more than 40 FPS though I didnt test long enough to get through the annoying long intro scene. But it's still about twice as fast. :p

So good stuff. I'll test FF7 next since I know thats what I'll get asked for. :)

Yeah it's pretty random. But I have some future plans for psx4all if Unai is interested. Either way psx4gp2x has some meaning to it. I will be working on the dynarec some more and seeing how much faster I can make it until Exophase gains enough interest. :p

-Sagrado- posted on Mar 28 2007 at 11:38 PM said:
but wait..... hasn't someone said that this is.......impossible? :p
ZodTTD, making the impossible possible

(the the help of many others too, can't forget them)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you release a new version you might consider renaming it from psx4gp2x to gpsx.

There's too many 'p's, 'x's and numbers. Just a suggestion. Totally feel free to ignore.

Just that 'gpsx' has a nice simple name and sort fits nicely with 'gpsp' for the GBA.

What do you think?

A significant job at the least is before you ZodTTD, good luck to you. Considering your stellar work on Gpsp and all manner "impossibilities", I have hope you may yet break the "Playstation barrier". Though I do have concerns on how some games will actually play, due to the lack of two analog sticks.

A donation will probably be in order from myself when you get this up and running. :)

-Sagrado- posted on Mar 29 2007 at 03:38 AM said:
but wait..... hasn't someone said that this is.......impossible? :p

Depends on what you mean by "impossible".

If you mean 60 FPS, full speed with sound then it IS impossible.

If you mean 20 FPS and kind of slow on 3D stuff, then it is possible.

You saw how hard it is for the GP2X hardware to run GBA even though they have the same ARM CPU. You need *alot* of overclock (260 MHz or more) to get it smooth with clean sound.

GBA is less then half the speed of a PSX, The PSX has a different and more powerful CPU (mips) then the GBA ARM, more memory, geometry transform engine, double the resolution of the GBA. With that in mind you can see that the Gp2X hardware is not quite up to spec for full speed PSX. I mean the Gp2X can't even do PSX quality 3D *natively* let alone emulated. The closest is payback but that is a fixed camera so you get away with more.

It may be good enough to run some 2D stuff and RPGs at a playable rate on the Gp2X if you don't mind a bit of frameskip and overclock.

Yeah it should be GpBA and gPSX (ParkStation?).

Anyway I think you once said something about using GPU940, any news?

DaveC posted on Mar 29 2007 at 04:32 AM said:
I mean the Gp2X can't even do PSX quality 3D *natively* let alone emulated.

Payback isn't PSX quality? Could've fooled me...

Great progress Zodttd :D

zodttd: this is awesome. One question I have is whether or not certain games could be singled out and ultra optimized. Like say ridge racer and ff7. Would working specifically on a select few games allow you to achieve a higher speed then you could just making a general emulator?

Once again, this is amazing, and I'm sure we're all behind you.
PSX was a console I really liked so a playable emulator is most probably something I would donate for.
It would be great to see it if only to humble the nay sayers just a bit :p .

PS I'm always one of those bursting with excitement about you testing FF7.

DaveC posted on Mar 28 2007 at 11:32 PM said:
I mean the Gp2X can't even do PSX quality 3D *natively* let alone emulated. The closest is payback but that is a fixed camera so you get away with more.
You seem to have confused the words "hasn't" and "can't." Clearly if I'm running a PSX game (regardless of speed) on the GP2X, it's capable of that sort of 3D. And anyway, the 3D walkaround thing in Theme Park was literally full speed on the last version of psx4gp2x. :rolleyes:

Anyway, good luck to you, Zod. If you succeed, I shall never touch my PSP again. :p

Back