Psx4gp2x Public Beta 2 Released.

zodttd

Solving your premature emulation since the Tapwave
Website
www.zodttd.com
New release of psx4gp2x out:
Get psx4gp2x Public Beta 2 at http://www.friggingames.com/psx4gp2x_pb2.zip

Be sure to post any feedback for this release here.

From the readme:

psx4gp2x Public Beta 2, a Playstation 1 emulator for the GP2X.
psx4gp2x is based on psx4all. Both psx4gp2x and psx4all is original code by Unai, ZodTTD, Chui, and Tinnus.

New in Beta 2:
- Many improvements to the GPU's rendering engine. Many games should render correctly completely.
- The GPU has been optimized many times over.
- The C interpreter has been greatly improved and is currently driving the CPU emulation until the dynarec that is in progress is completed.
- A huge bug fix that increased the compatibility of psx4gp2x greatly. Many more games can now be played.
- Less need for "underclocking" the PSX CPU clockspeed. It is now done automatically within the interpreter. This is a performance gain seen in many games.
- A new menu system. Less button usage and easier to handle.
- Now uses the MMU patch by Squidge to optimize the framebuffer. This increased the framerate of games by about 2 FPS.
[CUT]
- More accurate FPS counter with more information available in the menu.
- Removed the GP2X scaling mode.
- Improved the progressive interlacing mode for a better image. For a perfect image in games, turn off progressive in the Graphics Options.
- Sound is currently still disabled for this release. It is working but drains performance too much to be feasible at this point.

Please submit all bug reports and suggestions to the psx4gp2x Public Beta 2 topic on the www.gp32x.de or www.gp32spain.com forums.

Special control configurations for psx4gp2x:
L2 Trigger = GP2X's PUSH-STICK + L Trigger
R2 Trigger = GP2X's PUSH-STICK + R Trigger
psx2gp2x in-game menu = GP2X's PUSH-STICK + SELECT
psx4gp2x PSX CPU underclock method = GP2X's PUSH-STICK + VOLUME DOWN/UP
EXIT GAME = GP2X'S L Trigger + R Trigger + A + B + X + Y

How in install:
1. Once the psx4gp2x package is unzipped, place the case-sensitive file named scph1001.bin (or other bios versions renamed to this) in the "psx4gp2x" directory that contains "psx4all.gpe".
2. Copy the psx4gp2x directory to your SD card.
3. Move games to anywhere on your SD card.
4. Run psx4all.gpe.[/CUT]

Last edited by a moderator:
Confused me a second that the new name is psx4gp2x, yet the file is actually called psx4all.gpe ;)

Gonna try some games later today, need sleep now!

"SunSpire"

Trying it tonight, I will report back.

I will test RayCrisis, DOA, and Destruction Derby. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

tested Secret of Mana. It was running little slow but certainly playable and in some places (like in library) it was something around 21 fps with interlace 1 progresive. One thing that didn't work was saving game to the memory card. game said that there's no memory card (and then it let me save, which is strange, but it failed to save).

Just tested Castlevania SOTN. Ran at an average of 12 fps with a a vsync of about 33? maybe. Slightly increased speed. Graphics are WAYYYY improved. Unbelievable. Colors are perfect. Good job Zodtt and Unai. Cant wait for the dynarec :D

Edit: Oh yea almost forgot, OCed to 266 Interlace: 0 Progressive: Off

Wow... that's actually amazing. Seeing as I didn't manage to get into the last private betas before they closed (well, semi-private ones) this is the first time I've seen it running on my GP2x since about the 3rd version - and I'm very very impressed.

The interlacing mode takes a while to get used to, and the speed is by no means perfect, but, well, it reminds me of SNES emulation on the GP32 before OS9x (and to some extent after it, but certainly before). That is to say, slower than the originals, but just about fast enough to be enjoyable.

A couple of games tested:

Legend of Mana
Vsyncrate: 40-44 (with manual underclocking hits 60 without game slowdown no- problem)
Framerate: 14-20 (can't remember the two numbers in brackets) in game, sometimes 25-30 on menus.
My CPU: 266MHz
Progressive and interlaced; non progressive but still interlaced does not change the speed much (but to some extent does make the game prettier due to less tearing)

Threads of Fate
Vsyncrate: 50 or so (hits 60 if you underclock the psx cpu)
Framerate: 7-10 in game, menus are about the same (they've got 3D models behind them though - not surprising)
CPU: 266MHz
Progressive/Interlaced

Suikoden
Vsyncrate: 63
Framerate: 20 (45, 2) in game, 30 in menus (ish)
CPU: 266MHz
Progressive/Interlaced

I was especially impressed with the Threads of Fate and Legend of Mana speeds; the former was good enough to feel playable (if not quite good enough to feel fun), and the latter felt very close to full speed. Certainly it felt like a full speed snes game, but I think from memory the characters do run quite fast in LoM, and they didn't quite hit that rate. Close though.

Suikoden... well, the framerate was high, but the game was slow. Very very slow.

Fantastic work though... if this is what it's like on an interpreter, I really really can't wait for the dynarec!

@zodttd

can you please make the dat-files of burnatonce visible in the gameselector? they are pretty compatible and the program is easy to use.

thanks ;)

Back