Psx4gp2x Public Beta 5 Released

zodttd

Solving your premature emulation since the Tapwave
Website
www.zodttd.com
PSX4GP2X Public Beta 5 released using build 071307 available. Available directly here: http://www.zodttd.com/psx4all/psx4gp2x_071307.zip

More information and all updates and archived releases of psx4gp2x can be found at http://www.zodttd.com
I highly recommend subscribing to the site as it will be growing into a larger more informative place for all of my projects. Soon to come, a compatibility list, video feeds, and FAQs. For now, register and check out the RSS feeds. :)

So what's new? A LOT! Performance has improved dramatically since Beta 4. Although I'm currently using an older version of Una-i's GPU, it's still fairly compatible and performs well. Some games that are either fullspeed with sound at a 266MHz GP2X or at least close (with various performance settings):
Raiden Project
Buster Bros Collection
Bust A Move 4
Command & Conquer: Red Alert

Let's find some more! Plans are to get a collection of videos of games that perform well currently. With a render frameskip in the works and other various tweaks, soon your favorite game might be there too! So...
[cut]
From the readme.txt:

psx4all’s psx4gp2x
A PSX EMULATOR FOR THE GP2X!
Version: PUBLIC BETA 5 - BUILD 071307

For more information visit http://www.zodttd.com
For discussion of psx4all visit the forums at http://www.gp32x.de

Installation:
- You should have an unzipped psx4gp2x directory where this readme.txt is located.
1. Copy the REQUIRED (not included) psx BIOS file scph1001.bin to the same directory that psx4gp2x’s gpe file is located (./psxgp2x)
2. Copy your ISO/BIN files and/or PocketISO 2.0+ compressed Z/TABLE files over to a directory such as the roms directory in ./psxgp2x
3. Copy the ./psx4gp2x directory to your GP2X storage media
4. Run psx4gp2x_[build_date].gpe

Controls:
GP2X - PSX
STICK - THUMB PAD
A/B/X/Y - CORRESPONDING CIRCLE/SQUARE/TRIANGLE/X BUTTONS
L TRIGGER - L1
R TRIGGER - R1
L TRIGGER+PUSH - L2
R TRIGGER+PUSH - R2
START - START
SELECT - SELECT
GP2X SPECIFIC——————-PSX4GP2X
VOLUME MIDDLE - IN-GAME MENU
L TRIGGER+VOL-DOWN - PSX CYCLE DOWN
L TRIGGER+VOL-UP - PSX CYCLE UP
R TRIGGER+VOL-DOWN - PSX CLOCK DOWN
R TRIGGER+VOL-UP - PSX CLOCK UP

Tips for getting maximum performance:
- Using interlace 1+ setting gives more performance at the cost of blockier looking graphics from upscaling
- Turning sound off may give a slight performance increase
- Use your best overclock and use ram timings on if possible
- Be sure to find the best (working) PSX CLOCK setting. Usually a lower PSX CLOCK setting that keeps VSync less than 130 while keeping the highest framerate (FPS) is recommended.
- If you feel like tweaking timings more, change PSX CYCLE from 2 to a different value first. BUT IN ORDER FOR THIS OPTION TO BE RECOGINZED, YOU MUST RELOAD THE GAME FROM THE INGAME LOADGAME OPTION EACH TIME YOU WANT IT SET TO THE NEW VALUE!
- Once the PSX CYCLE has been successfully changed, edit the PSX CLOCK timings. Usually PSX CYCLE 1 to 4, maybe 5, is best.

Tips for compatibility with games that freeze or won’t load:
- Change the PSX CYCLE to 1 and change PSX CLOCK to a number between 80 and 104. Do this as soon as the game inits/loads up and then RELOAD THE GAME FROM THE INGAME MENU with these new settings in place.[/cut]

Last edited by a moderator:
Brillant work mate, I'll be testing Red Alert 1 in a night or two. I'd run it at 266mhz but mine seems to crash whenever I have it at that, I don't know if its because I had ram timings set as well but I can't ever get mine to run above 260 without locking up :(
Guess I'll have to stick to 250mhz.
I don't know if we'll ever get 3D fully working but if FF8 ever worked at 50% or close to 100% speed I'd just cream my pants.

FF7 is running at over 20 FPS and is pretty smooth. FF8 I hear is underperforming currently, though worth a try.

zodttd said:
FF7 is running at over 20 FPS and is pretty smooth. FF8 I hear is underperforming currently, though worth a try.
I have never played FF7 but if it's as good as people say it is then I imagine I'll need to make some room on my SD card for it :D
Awesome work zodttd, I'll donate on paypal next time I get paid B)

cowai said:
Hows worms armageddon, the best game ever made? :p
Just tried WWP, plays pretty well if you set PSX cycle to 1.
By the way do you play WA online?

Zod you say that
L TRIGGER+PUSH - L2
R TRIGGER+PUSH - R2

but on my copy Volume up and down are L2 and R2

Miika said:
cowai said:

Nah, just on LAN/hamachi, not much, really. Maybe we could play on LAN via hamachi? PM me..
PS: forstår du norsk Miika, du er finsk?

cowai said:
Miika said:
cowai said:

Nah, just on LAN/hamachi, not much, really. Maybe we could play on LAN via hamachi? PM me..
PS: forstår du norsk Miika, du er finsk?

I think it's easier to play through WormNet, but why not?
Hehe, ja, har bodd i Norge snart 4 år men flytter tilbake til Finland nå på slutten av juli :)

*curses the nonusage of the MORE tag (or whatever the gp32x.de equivalent is)*

is this version faster then the last release? Or is it just some changes on compatibility and memory card support etc?

Soon Dracula, Ill make Alucard kick your sorry behind back to the dark realms where you belong! :angry:

Ive been waiting for this! Greate job guys!

wahou!! new beta 5 looks MUCH faster than 071207!! Especially on 2D games!

Castlevania runs at near 40FPS in plazces where it used to run at 30 yesterday, interlace 0 no sound! Oddworld is often too fast without suond!! What the f*** did you do Zod?!? that's terrible :)

Pleaasse get rid of those nasty oddworld bugs, it runs sooo fast :D

About the MORE tag: I'd like to know how to use it. I was thinking the same thing.

kevcal: Maybe zodttd.com should post some more technical aspects?

Oddworld bug is being worked on. Theres a workaround but the release would be specific to Oddworld if that was done.

Remember, this is based on an older version of Una-i's GPU. He's coming back to help with things this weekend, so great things should happen with that, such as a rendering frameskip. ;)

when downloading this my computer always tells me the gpe file is corrupt

damned said:
when downloading this my computer always tells me the gpe file is corrupt
Unpack with a different archiver perhaps, Try winzip, Winrar, 7zip, That is assuming you are using windows.

Trooper

Back