Pygame What Version Will Come Shipped?

may88

I know this question has popped up from time to time but I have searched and not seen a definitive answer.
Looking at the package list for Angstrom:
Code:
  Package details for python-pygame 1.8.1-ml4.3
  Python libSDL Bindings
  Maintainer:
    Angstrom Developers <angstrom-distro-devel at linuxtogo.org>
  Section:
    devel/python
  Depends:
    python-numeric, libsdl-1.2-0 (>= 1.2.11), libc6 (>= 2.9), libpython2.6-1.0 (>= 2.6.1), libgcc1 (>= 4.3.3), libsmpeg-0.4-0 (>= 0.4.5+svnr370), libsdl-mixer-1.2-0 (>= 1.2.8), libx11-6 (>= 1.2), libsdl-image-1.2-0 (>= 1.2.6), libpng12-0 (>= 1.2.35), libjpeg62 (>= 6b), libsdl-ttf (>= 2.0.3)
Size:
    489.07 Kilobytes

Whilst I've been waiting I have been learning pygame but I've been using 2.6 and I'm now worried that there a big gap in versions and that the pygame we get will not contain half the commands I'm depending on.

I have a crude boomshine clone - darn good program to practice collision detections. Working on a multi-screen asteroid style game at the moment. Anyway back to pygame.

I have not got a clue as to what is involved in porting a later version. Are there any Devs out there possibly working on this?

Yours, panicked in Suffolk.

You're mixing up version numbers!

Pygame only recently released version 1.9, but most distribution repositories still have 1.8.1. The 2.6 you mention would be the version of Python that you're using (2.6 is sort of the current standard. There's also version 3.1, but it's not fully compatible with the 2.x series, so it hasn't really caught on yet).

So, be happy; I don't know for certain which Python and Pygame version(s) will ship, but I believe wholeheartedly that it will be very close to what you're using.

Tempel - Good spot and thanks. :blush:

And there's me thinking I've researched this one thoroughly. :rolleyes: You are of course right.

I'll check the python package for version when I get home from work and post the information for completeness. (package browser not responding)

- Embarrassed from Suffolk.

also looks as if Python is the version I'm used to too.
Code:
Package details for python-core 2.6.2-ml7.0.3

Python Interpreter and core modules (needed!)

Maintainer:
    Angstrom Developers <angstrom-distro-devel at linuxtogo.org>
Section:
    devel/python
Depends:
    libpython2.6-1.0 (>= 2.6.2), libc6 (>= 2.9), libz1 (>= 1.2.3)
Recommends:
    python-readline
Provides:
    python
Size:
    125.94 Kilobytes
Only not sure what this means
Code:
Python Interpreter and core modules (needed!)
Needed to be installed and not developed I hope.

may88 said:
Python will be there when the Pandora ships, and there's no real difference between development and deployment in Python; you can use just the standard interpreter to do development if you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
dflemstr said:
may88 said:
Python will be there when the Pandora ships, and there's no real difference between development and deployment in Python; you can use just the standard interpreter to do development if you want.
Thanks. Bit of an idle fan at his stage of my development but I am seeing the need for something more complex for editing multiple files. Something I'll have pleasure in researching once I have my mitts on the pandora as I hope to use the pandora for development.

For python development, you usually only need a good editor: Vim, Emacs, jEdit, Kate, IDLE, TextMate, Geany, Komodo Edit, Editra. Most of these have some IDE features (multiple files, code completion, etc.), either builtin or as plugins.

You could also use Eclipse + PyDev, NetBeans or MonoDevelop, but they're unlikely to work (well) on the Pandora with so little RAM.

may88 said:
I have a crude boomshine clone - darn good program to practice collision detections. Working on a multi-screen asteroid style game at the moment. Anyway back to pygame.

If you are planning to release this I hope that you've asked permission (for courtesy at least) of Danny Miller, the author of the original version.

Back