Pyra Internet Deal

Would you like to have a mobile internet deal in you country?

• Yes

Votes: 42 68.9%
  • No

Votes: 19 31.1%

• Total voters

TeDaDeS

Hardcore Member
Website
Visit site
ED has arranged a great mobile-internet deal for the Pyra users (see twitter), but for now it is only available in Germany.

I think it is useful to know what country you are in and if you also would like to have such a deal for your country.

The poll is setup with the current provider in mind (Vodafone).

Last edited by a moderator:
Finland, we have 4G, no Vodafone, no need for a deal. I have existing arrangements for unlimited full-speed 4G for my Pyra :)

If there were to be a UK deal, I'd probably suggest trying one of the small/geeky ISPs like AAisp (http://aaisp.net/telecoms.html,  http://www.revk.uk/2010/10/xkcd806-compliance.html)

They're probably rather more flexible than the big-name providers, and aren't going to get people into weird arguments about whether putting thier SIM in an obscure computer/console/thing running linux counts as fair-use, tethering, whathaveyou.

No need for me as I'll tether my Pyra to my Phone & use my existing mobile broadband contract.

I'm not exactly sure how to answer question 1, I'd have no problem if a deal was offered for my country but wouldn't take up that deal.

FWIW, I don't think I'll be putting a SIM in my Pyra until its functionality means I can stop carrying my old phone around, but I may still buy the 3/4G version since AIUI the wifi version loses the GPS functionality, which I'm interested in having.

And I'm not sure I'll need 4G on it - on my phone, 3G is more than enough, and I find my 3G dongle on my laptop perfectly fast for most computery purposes (when I can get it to stay connected, grr).

Since I recently had to buy a new phone my interest in using the Pyra as a phone is waning. My phone plan is really good, 40CAD for unlimited everything, so I probably wouldn't be interested in a dedicated data plan. I'd either put the SIM in and use it as my phone or tether to my actual phone.

my country (Poland) is not on the list, but I voted "no", since I can have 3GB internet for less than 5 euro on a prepaid and possibly (not tried yet) 1GB for as low as 2 euro.

my country (Poland) is not on the list, but I voted "no", since I can have 3GB internet for less than 5 euro on a prepaid and possibly (not tried yet) 1GB for as low as 2 euro.
Prices might not be the same, I would guess each country would have it's own deal. Countries differ a lot on prices for mobile subscriptions.

(Netherlands €2 = 100MB / 7,2Mbit 3G connection)

UK, I can get 160MB for 1.60GBP (about 2EUR) on the cheapest PAYG deal I know. The cheapest contract SIM I can find on the main operators is 7GBP (just over 8EUR) for 500MB of data. That's assuming phone rates - tablet rates are more (although you might be best off at Giffgaff where you can add a tethered data bundle to their PAYG at 5GBP for 500MB). And some of those prices don't cover 4G at all, so if ED made something like his Voda deal available in the UK at similar prices, it'd be very welcome I suspect.

United States doesn't make the country list but Fiji, Ghana and Malta do?

lol

Is our mobile netowork system that bad?  OK, so it is THAT bad...  

I am very happy that ED has scored this deal: 3GB is for 8 euro is about 1/2 the going rate. Wonder how he did it...

lol

Is our mobile netowork system that bad?  OK, so it is THAT bad...
It's sorted by importance! :p

I'm in the USA.. so by default I don't think there's any deals out there

Same, USA.  I wish there were nice providers around here, but well Comcast bla bla.

I live in the USA.  I don't know much about 3G or 4G or anything phone related, really.  Does the USA have really bad service or something? 

-Glyph Reader

I live the USA.  I don't know much about 3G or 4G or anything phone related, really.  Does the USA have really bad service or something?
Well the service is indeed subpar, but what would surprise pretty much every european in the us, is the rates.For about 20$/months tx included, I get unlimited (near) worldwide phone calls, unlimited SMS, unlimited 3G coverage (with service covering nicely the whole country) and 20GB/mth over 4G (which is realy fast but dont cover much) all completly flat rates.

I havent checked yet but I think I will be able to add my pyra to that contract for a fews bucks more if any.

ED made a good deal, hope it will be possible to get it into different countries also.

I can imagine the deal will be different sometimes due to different rates per country.

A real unlimited package doesn't exist in my country, the nearest thing would cost $80 (3G/4G, unlimited call/text (+5GB national) 1GB data for 43 Vodafone countries, including above mentioned, and some additional as USA).

Vodafone uses different networks in most countries. In the USA it used to be Verizon but that was sold last year, so from Vodafone perspective you wouldn't be able to provide a deal in the US.

Maybe it will be possible with a different provider.

For £13/Month, I get unlimited data - and I've really tested it with 20 or 30GBs per month for weeks. 3G only, though and I do get some sort of "text minutes" thing but I have no idea what that is.

D.

if i could have my freedompop free 1gb 4g lte connection, thatd be nice, but i dont see it happening without one of their usb dongles

in the usa you get pretty crappy data limits, for a rather absurd price. Even unlimited isn't "unlimited" I've seen unlimited data plans really be 10gbs with an added fee if you go over it.. Or they start docking your texts and other stuff. Also the cell service sucks where I live. Seriously its very pitiful. You'd assume this country would have better services and such considering how cell phones are shoved into our faces, but Alas nope. Anything below 25 bucks a month isn't usable with a pyra, anything above 40 bucks is usable, but barely.. and really anything above 80 bucks probably into the range that is decent. Seriously its freakin' retarded. The best way to handle it is to get a prepaid cards here. I've calculated my costs for my phone (including the phone) to be 18 bucks a month... using cards the way I do. if anybody can come up with an american data service that won't cost an arm, a leg, a liver, a spline and a left kidney let us know..

Back