Pyra OS Name

Funeral Potato has some appeal, and will certainly attract the right kind of deviants...  but I would rather call it:   Lykurg-OS =)   :lol:

I would prefer to not give it a new name, and just call it "Debian GNU/Linux". That way, everyone knows immediately what it is, and the huge amount of packages that is just one apt-get install away.

I know: let's have thousands of polls with endless discussions about the benefits and downsides of certain names (like the suggestive sound of the syllable "pyrrrr" and the non-free nature of potatoes) and in the end let ED come up with a name that he thinks is best! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I would prefer to not give it a new name, and just call it "Debian GNU/Linux". That way, everyone knows immediately what it is, and the huge amount of packages that is just one apt-get install away.
Except that it won't exactly be vanilla Debian due to the necessary customisations required specifically for the Pyra.

I like Pyrian as suggested by B-ZaR.  

That said the name Mashed Potato also comes to mind and considering it's going to be based on Debian it seems oddly appropriate for some weird reason. ;)

-Neelix

I used to run Potato, before I upgraded to Woody.

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianPotato

While the reference is nice (Potato being an old Debian version and "pyra" being a Polish word for "potato"), I think it's not a very good idea to use it as a name because people might incorrectly assume that we're using a horribly outdated version of Debian.

Except that it won't exactly be vanilla Debian due to the necessary customisations required specifically for the Pyra.
It won't be vanilla Debian but it should still be a superset of vanilla Debian, and the difference (some extra packages) would mostly be in low-level stuff like a tweaked kernel and some Pyra-specific drivers, things most users shouldn't really have to care about.

Anything but PyraOS. Piraos on spanish means something like "crazy" but related with the drug world :p .

It's almost like Pandian for Pandora, that's why Pyrian would be a very nice name for calling it, even if it's just for the convenience of having a name to give the customization and not a completely new thing. Like ArchBang or Antergos to Arch Linux, for example.

Back