Pyra with new chrome app "Arc Welder"

Stellanatus

Any other chrome fans? I divorced Microsoft while back and wont even touch an Apple product. I do everything on my chromebook more than I do stuff with my Nexus 6 fablet. Now that Chrome can run Android apps using a new chrome app called "Arc Welder"  just makes my pyra more awesome. I wont need to dual boot or emulate with 3rd party complicated stuff such as skype or a bitcoin app or any other android app you can think of. 

Google <3

Edit: Not advertising! I'm trying to bring up a discussion on this new Chrome app that lets you use Android apps on Chrome... This would mean you wouldn't have to install a whole operating system to use android but instead just use your browser...

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

https://developer.chrome.com/apps/getstarted_arc   <_<

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure if halaris or in for suprise...

Welcome to the botnet!
Surprise*.

You think joking or dumb? >.>

There really isn't anything I can think of that I can't do on chrome. I edit photos, edit videos, live stream, call people, use social media apps, use google quickoffice, paint, and dont forget the play store with books, movies/tv, google music (My love of my life), and now android apps. Only thing I can think of that I can't do besides games is some software tools for advance programming or a few other inessential software that aren't really useful to me.

Or are you saying that the pyra won't run Chrome or just run an outdated version that chrome extension/apps won't work as well? As far as I am concerned and the Pandora ran Chrome just fine...

There isn't a freely available version of chrome for armhf, but the open source chromium is possible, I'm not sure if the latest version of that handles arc welder or what not.  It's currently not on the debian 8 (Jessie) repository which the Pyra is planning on using. It seems like a total pain in the ass to compile from source on my first attempts at it.

The version of chromium on the Pandora is extremely antiquated.

Any other chrome fans? I divorced Microsoft while back and wont even touch an Apple product. I do everything on my chromebook more than I do stuff with my Nexus 6 fablet. Now that Chrome can run Android apps using a new chrome app called "Arc Welder"  just makes my pyra more awesome. I wont need to dual boot or emulate with 3rd party complicated stuff such as skype or a bitcoin app or any other android app you can think of. 

Google <3

https://developer.chrome.com/apps/getstarted_arc 
Tell me how crapping on about how divorcing Microsoft and never using an Apple product then pitching your love to google helps anything? As comradekingu says it sounds like an "advertisement".

There isn't a freely available version of chrome for armhf, but the open source chromium is possible, I'm not sure if the latest version of that handles arc welder or what not.  It's currently not on the debian 8 (Jessie) repository which the Pyra is planning on using. It seems like a total pain in the ass to compile from source on my first attempts at it.

Arc Welder is for Chrome OS, not the Chrome/Chromium web browser.

Hm. I don't have a desktop to try chromium. Im pretty eager though to see if anyone can get it to work. Theres also a new Chrome usb drive that has the whole chrome OS on it that is now being sold by google. Idk how those work. Suppose to work on the TV monitors. I might carry one of those around with my Pyra if I could switch between systems that way. Can you confirm that?

Google <3

https://developer.chrome.com/apps/getstarted_arc 
Tell me how crapping on about how divorcing Microsoft and never using an Apple product then pitching your love to google helps anything? As comradekingu says it sounds like an "advertisement".
Oh is that what he ment? Google has adword which is their biggest income (yeah more than youtube or android). They don't need to stoop so low as to buy spammers. Android/Linux/Google stuff just kicks ass. I'm just a fan. I would love to fit my chromebook in my pocket though...

Theres also a new Chrome usb drive that has the whole chrome OS on it that is now being sold by google. Idk how those work. Suppose to work on the TV monitors. I might carry one of those around with my Pyra if I could switch between systems that way. Can you confirm that?

Well I think you are talking about the chromecast, that plugs into the TV via the HDMI port, It's a small computer in that thumb stick.  

There are a lot of anti-Android people here.  It isn't just because they dislike Android, but because they don't agree with things that Google does, so I guess I should say there are many anti-Google people here.  Those that feel this way will not be interested in any of this, for many good reasons.  I personally see no reason to use half-assed software when we will have more fully featured programs that are designed to work with something like the Pyra (with keyboard and mouse).  It would be cool to not need Android for those things from Google Play I use, but the problem here is that I am extremely picky about my browsers as well.  I would be willing to use chromium with the 2 things for Android that I like, however I am pretty sure, if not both, will not work.  In the end I suspect I will either not use them on my Pyra or I will use a VM.

Actually, now that I think about it this might be a good time to mention that I might switch over to something other than Debian when I get my Pandora...possibly away from Linux altogether on it.  Arc Welder may not be usable for me for more reasons than I initially thought, even if I want to try it out.

Right now there is nothing for it since it doesn't fully exist yet, however I don't think it will stay like that for long.  A big part of the appeal for the Pandora and Pyra is a great community where we help each other out.  I may lack the skills to get a different OS and associated software fully functional on my own, but I like to think someone will throw me a few hints or assist me when I run into problems.

I spent a lot of time with Solaris starting around 15 years ago, and this is what made me want to switch to *nix.  Because of this I will probably look into post-OpenSolaris based stuff like illumos.  I might also go for FreeBSD, or something in that family.  There are some other interesting things I will probably want to try out, but those are at the top of my list.  I was also speaking with some people the other day about some really stupid ideas I have related to the Pyra, and I am still doing research and waiting to hear back from someone regarding that.

I might also go for FreeBSD, or something in that family.
16539.jpg

Although I suppose going *BSD is one way to get away from SystemD ;)

Glad you are following what I was(n't) saying.  That is definitely a reason for getting away from Linux.  I also like playing with different OSs, and if I find something I like I will probably stick with it for a while.

Do you not like the BSDs?

Hopefully you like building a kernel and supporting modules from scratch too.

Personally I still don't understand the mob hatred of systemd. Yes I've seen all the arguments against it...

I have done more for much less, often enjoying it.

I don't hate systemd, I am just not happy with it.  Can we avoid turning this into a sytemd discussion?  This is the reason I didn't bring up why I am looking beyond Linux for my Pyra.

Back