Qemu and Windows whats the best version to run

Doombox

I was wondering whats the best windows os to get, to use with Qemu? Im looking to get either windows 95 or 98. I'm gonna be mostly playing old games and maybe a few old software suites from the windows 95 era. Would the better driver support of windows 98 be more suited or the older and thus less bloated windows 95 be better?  If it helps one of the games that would be playing it is math blaster, and some egames like mahjongg game of the four winds. Also could I install the os using upgrade discs ? or do I need the full discs? I have yet to buy them and I saw the upgrade discs are much cheaper to acquire. If anybody knows a good place to buy online, that be much appreciated. Thank You

Win95 is the fastest after 3.1. but win98 come with usb hid drivers which allow for correct touchscreenhandling.

What's better? That's up to you :)

oh okay thanks for the quick reply :)

btw is it possible for me to just use an upgrade disc to install it on qemu or do I need the full blown version ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever you can install on a pc should work with qemu, too. See it as an emulated pc.

I know that qemu basically acts like that its just I can't remember if I can get away with using a upgrade disk or not for installation on a computer without another version windows on it to begin with . (Sorry if that doesn't make sense)

It does and afaik it even matters what kind of update disk you have. So if you can launch the setup from the disk and if it is bootable, chances are that it will work. You could just try.

Back