Quake Mod Setup - Help Needed Please

theBogster

Still Fresh
Hi there,
I am sorry if this thread has been done before but i done a search in the forum and could not get the info i needed.
i am trying to set up a quake mod (quake rally) on the GP2X
Please bear with me as i am very new to the GP2X etc.
I downloaded the quake1 file that was done by woogal and have setup the files correctly for this
i have the qauke folder on the root directory and within this have the gpe files along with the id1 folder which has the pak0.pak and pak1.pak file.
this all works.
what i am now trying to do is get the quake rally mod to work on the GP2X
i have downloaded the qauke rally mod, created a folder beside id1 called 'mods' and put the quake rally folder into the 'mods' folder
this is where i get stuck - i have read on the forum that in order to get a mod to run, a script needs to be created.
i do not know what this really means and i am not sure how to create a script or what should be in this script
i would appreciate if someone could tell me what to do here
Sorry for the long message but i am trying to give a good description of what i have done so far.
Any help is really appreciated.

First get rid of the mods folder and put qrally (or whatever you've called the folder) beside id1. It might work in a sub folder but I've never tried it so you can test that later. Then create a text file, call it qrally.gpe, and in there put './quake.gpe -game qrally' (without the quotes, and qrally should be the same as your folder name). Put this file in the same place as quake.gpe. Make sure it's saved with unix file endings (don't know the easiest way for you to do this, have a search on here because it's been mentioned before). Now run qrally.gpe and hope for the best. If it doesn't work, have a look at the instructions for the mod and see if it tells you to do anything else on the command line. Basically, where mods tell you to do command line stuff, put the same command line into a text file and make sure quake.exe is replaced with ./quake.gpe and it will probably work.

Hey Woogal,
Thanks for the quick reply.
i done what you advised and it worked perfectly.......thanks for the advice.
Just wondering do you know or have u personally got any other quake mods working
i would like to get perhaps another mod working
i have tried 'quake matrix'
i set it up (the file structure that is) the same way as quake rally
it runs but as soon as i click on 'new game' it goes back to the main gp2x screen!
i am looking for some other mods so just wondering if you had any good tips
thanks.

Raptors is quite a good mod, but it's a lot slower than the original quake maps so you'll need to overclock quite a bit (only tried it at 200mhz so I don't know how well it plays at higher speeds). Alien quake is another good one, and it's faster than quake too, but it can be difficult to find because it was banned for breaking copyright.

I'll try to post a mega-pak of quake mods to the archive today once I attempt to get rid of anything that might be in violation of a copyright that it is.

I think this is one of the best games on the GP2X. Thanks Woogal!

hey guys,
thanks for all your advice. It has been much appreciated.
i have checked the archives and seen the mods that were posted.
i have not had time to test them out yet, but i should be able to do it in the next few days
will send a post letting ye know how i get on
thanks again

Back