Query About Touchscreen On A Gp2X- F200

bacteria

Modder & Portablizer
Website
moddedbybacteria.wordpress.com
So, have started the projeect to mod an F200. Have currently rigged up 5 x 1800mA Nintendo DS 3.7v batteries in parallel to see how long they last for on the GP2x. I'm hoping for 3 hours if i'm lucky (if these generic batteries do what they say on the tin they would give 9 amps; however are fairly small cells which will compromise the juice they can sustain - if I get around 3 hours plus, i'll use them in this project as I have them lying about doing nothing, and are slim. I rather suspect they will die after an hour of battery drain from the GP2x - we'll see - been going half an hour so far, leaving them going unti they drain.

The screen looks slightly better than the F100 does.

There are some scratches on the touchsceen, and I noticed that if you remove the layer a bit, it just seems to be a fairly thin sheet of PVC/acetate that has incorporated into it four traces that tell the motherboard the position the stylus is pressing against, for touchscreen.

Queries:

Am I right in saying that once you load an emulator (ie not designed for the touchscreen facility) the touchscreen doesn't work - in other words, it's only useful for initial navigation?

You don't need the touchscreen anyway as you can do everything via the d-pad, etc - correct?

What games/apps work best with the touchscreen / needed for it?

Where do I get a replacement for the touchscreen acetate front for the screen?

If I cut the existing acetate out and left the traces, presumably I could if needed to, just put a thin sheet of acetate in there to replace it (eg 6 thou thick, of which I have some).

1 & 2. The touchscreen is pretty much ignored for every emu and unnecessary.

3. There are quite a few games that do take advantage of the touchscreen, but there's not many that ONLY use the touchscreen and no controls.
Two of my games - Drench and B'lox! allow the touchscreen to be used to play. Both are available from the archive.

4. GPH?

5. No idea.

Personally i like more touch-screen games, and there are a few nice ones, but not many. I guess it all depends on your preferences. Hopefully i will get Warehouse Panic compiled for the GP2x soon. It uses touch screen.

Thanks, that confirms there is no need for the touchscreen! I can remove the top layer film and remove it from the motherboard. This will also mean an even better picture image too. The prime use for a GP2x is for emulators after all, so no real need for touchscreen.

It really pains me to see an F200 mutilated like that... There weren't many made to begin with.

^ Maybe Orkie was of the opinion that even when broken, an F200 does not deserve to be mutilated.

Also, can we have some more updates? I see your own forum is more up-to-date on this project, which was not your original plan.

Trying to keep the updates here for better updates. The fact of the matter is I had a fair few problems with the paint job of the tupperware case I was making; had some of the edge between the case sides (tupperware sides) and the perspex not painting evenly even though used filler and sanded it smooth with an electric sander; so removed most of the spray paint, applied some regular paint the the edges and electric sanded again; however made a couple of minor nicks from the sander on the edges which was only noticable when more coats applied; so removed that again. Turned out I
hadn't applied enough hot glue to seal it in, so there was a little give (fixed). Then decided for a beautiful finish and to make it cover the surface properly, to apply a lot of spray paint to give a slight raised effect; this worked well and got a lovely result; however although left it for a day to dry, wasn't enough, was handling the case and got an imprint of my finger edge on the painted area and fingerprints; had to wait to dry more, then sand down... then reapplied more spray paint; got it looking really nice indeed, now doing the sides of the case to make them look even. The result is going to look really nice, and professional finish; I promise!

This is why I haven't posted pic of the case front yet; will be though, when sides are dry, last coat on top, left for a couple of days to dry properly, then used the metallic paint sealer to protect the surface, and again, left to dry for a day or so. In other words, probably won't have a pic until Monday or Tuesday!

I can't do more updates until the case front is dry, finished and I can handle it ok.

Back