Question About Bluetooth

cbox

With something like this hooked up to a PC Fry's link do you think it would be possible to transfer files from the Pandora to the PC and vice versa?

cbox said:
With something like this hooked up to a PC Fry's link do you think it would be possible to transfer files from the Pandora to the PC and vice versa?

Is there any particular reason you want to transfer files via bluetooth instead of wifi? :huh:

If not then just use wifi, you'll save a lot of cup of coffee/tea making time. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lurkio said:
Is there any particular reason you want to transfer files via bluetooth instead of wifi? :huh:

If not then just use wifi, you'll save a lot of cup of coffee/tea making time. :)
Not everyone has wifi, And maybe he`s one of them.

Trooper

If you don't have Wifi, you could use USB :)

Ok, it needs a wire, but I think I'd prefer that over the speed the Bluetooth will run at.

trooper said:
Not everyone has wifi, And maybe he`s one of them.

Trooper
Fair enough, but still anything's better than bluetooth for file transfer purposes, even two plastic cups and a piece of string (slight exaggeration). :)

Bluetooth 2.0 transmits up to 2.1Mbits/s compared to 802.11g's 54Mbits/s. Bluetooth has a range of about 30 feet and will be blocked by most solid objects while 802.11g will travel for several hundred feet line-of-sight and can penetrate several walls at shorter ranges.

If you're going to buy a dongle for data transfer, buy a wifi one.

Cup-Phone.jpg

:D

Chip said:
Bluetooth 2.0 transmits up to 2.1Mbits/s compared to 802.11g's 54Mbits/s. Bluetooth has a range of about 30 feet and will be blocked by most solid objects while 802.11g will travel for several hundred feet line-of-sight and can penetrate several walls at shorter ranges.

Don`t forget you have to factor in the price for a wifi modem (£40-£70) if a person doesn`t already own one, Or worst case senario, They are not allowed one, If they are a minor and daddy says no!, Because daddy says "The current modem we have is working perfectly fine".

Trooper

trooper said:
Sorry but I have to go one better. :p

Wireless version.

cup.jpg

trooper said:
Don`t forget you have to factor in the price for a wifi modem (£40-£70) if a person doesn`t already own one,
Erm what? Why would they need a wifi modem if all they're going to be doing is transferring files between their PC and a Pandora + back again.

trooper said:
Don`t forget you have to factor in the price for a wifi modem (£40-£70) if a person doesn`t already own one,
Or go for a £5 - £10 Wifi dongle and do Adhoc :)

Lurkio said:
Erm what? Why would they need a wifi modem if all they're going to be doing is transferring files between their PC and a Pandora + back again.
We are talking about transferring files wirelessly. As in, without a cable ;)

Chip said:

The only GOOD thing about Bluetooth would be that it doesn't need to have the stuff off an Access Point or placed into Ad-Hoc mode, both of which might be a bit much for people that just want to do things wirelessly and would be needed for 802.11 WiFi work (And that they don't HAVE it in at least part of the places where they would be doing this...). Bluetooth's pretty much ping out to the device you want to talk to and GO. It's already in Ad-Hoc mode for all intents and purposes.

I see a reason for doing things all of the proposed ways, even the Bluetooth one, but we need to place in perspective what advantages and disadvantages each brings to the table.

Lurkio said:
Sorry but I have to go one better. :p

Wireless version.

cup.jpg

<*snicker*> You're not one bit sorry about that- not even for making me LOL up at work... :D

Squidge said:
trooper said:
Or go for a £5 - £10 Wifi dongle and do Adhoc :)

Oh, Ok, I forgot about those, But in all honesty, I`ve had and used a couple of those usb adhoc wireless dongles in the past, And can safely say that at least for me, They have been pretty crap/unrealiable, ie, Not connecting or dropping the connection etc.

Oh well, Maybe they are more reliable now than they used to be.

Trooper

Svartalf said:
Chip said:

The only GOOD thing about Bluetooth would be that it doesn't need to have the stuff off an Access Point or placed into Ad-Hoc mode, both of which might be a bit much for people that just want to do things wirelessly and would be needed for 802.11 WiFi work (And that they don't HAVE it in at least part of the places where they would be doing this...). Bluetooth's pretty much ping out to the device you want to talk to and GO. It's already in Ad-Hoc mode for all intents and purposes.

I'm sorry, but if switching a wifi adapter from infrastructure to ad-hoc mode is too trying, then perhaps a Pandora is not the device for them. Might I suggest something like this instead:
Tomy-Tutor-Play-Computer.gif

Lurkio said:
even two plastic cups and a piece of string.
I've found that paper cups tend to work better, although they are harder to keep clean. ;)

EDIT:
Chip said:
Svartalf said:
Chip said:

I'm sorry, but if switching a wifi adapter from infrastructure to ad-hoc mode is too trying, then perhaps a Pandora is not the device for them. Might I suggest something like this instead:

Your witty comment makes me LOL very much so.

-God Ginrai

Squidge said:
I really hope you were trying to be funny. <_<

However if you weren't, I fully understand what the topic of discussion is, all I was saying was why the fuck is it necessary to spend millions and millions of pounds on a wifi modem when a cheap USB dongle will do the same job.

Lurkio said:
Squidge said:

However if you weren't, I fully understand what the topic of discussion is, all I was saying was why the fuck is it necessary to spend millions and millions of pounds on a wifi modem when a cheap USB dongle will do the same job.

I was actually wondering the same thing about Squidge's comment. I just didn't see how he couldn't understand what your comment meant, but I also didn't think it was a very funny comment if he DID realize what you meant. :\

-God Ginrai

Chip said:
Kool! Hey man, how much memry as it got? Will it have bluetooth? Is it too late to ask for that red button to be changed for a d-pad. This totally rox! Just wait til I tell my mates they will all want one. etc :)

TaG said:
Chip said:
Kool! Hey man, how much memry as it got? Will it have bluetooth? Is it too late to ask for that red button to be changed for a d-pad. This totally rox! Just wait til I tell my mates they will all want one. etc :)

I think the d-pad should be on the left hand side, Oh and does it have touch screen and tv out. Can`t we also have a slide-out keyboard, Fixed keyboards are so yesterday.

And does it take 2 AA`s, Li ion are crappy proprietary batteries and the scorn of the devil, Because you are stuffed once they stop manufacturing them.

Trooper

Lurkio said:
Squidge said:

I think wifi routers are available for $20 (10 Pounds), I bought one 3 years ago (Linksys). So it isn't really a question of cost, merely preference.

BT, I agree. There are nuts who are hacking BT to have much extended range, maybe he wants to do that?

As far as complaining about who wants Bt over Wifi, who cares? Let them connect in any way they want.

Lurkio said:
Squidge said:

my router does MIMO 80211 b/g and has a 200 yd range and it was a whopping $39 - it isn't that expensive nowadays- though it is less than half that for a usb access point if you feel like it

Back