Question About SDLTRS

Kumaki

OK, I just decided to fool around with this again.

And I forget how to load things on it.

I have figured out that F7 gets me to the menu where I can load things up....but how do I get them to execute?

I have a page inside my Pandora case, with TRS-80 games I have already put on my card, but I can figure out how to run the programs from the F7 menu.  Can anyone give me a step-by-step to get me to where I can play my TRS-80 games?

I know, the TRS-80 was a crap computer, but it WAS the very first computer I ever had, and so it sorta has a special place in my heart for nostalgia.

Basically, my problem is I do not remember how to make the games run once I get into the GUI.  Every thing I try...doesn't work.  The files ARE in my appdata file and they DO show up when I look for them within the GUI.

I can even make the files go to Disk 0 or Disk 1 or wherever...but I can't make the darn things RUN.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uhmm i never emulated or owned a real TRS-80 (so i can't really help you) but i'm curious... i can't find any sdltrs emulator on the repo. Where do you get it ?

It's ok.  I moved to North Carolina.  Warmer weather.

Wish someone could tell me how to use this thing...been so long since I used SDLTRS I forget the controls from the GUI, but I got a number of good fun games for the TRS-80 on my Pandy card...just can't get them to play...

Do you still have your TRSDOS manuals? They should show you how to drive the thing.

I have done a quick search for manuals online though, and can't find anything.

Actually we should probably make a list of how to run thing on the various emulated computers out there. I don't know how many people know that to launch BBC micro games you should hit shift+break to load the disc (although I'm not sure the current Pandora BBC micro emulator has a break button).

I did a search, too, on the Google before I posted up here...hoping someone could tell me.  But what I found was incomprehensible and not much actual help.  I can post up a link here and see if someone else can make heads or tails out of it and give it to me in simple straightforward instructions, without all the how and why it works.

I am not very computer literate anymore.  My first computer game program was on the TRS-80, I programmed a game called Bug Bover. 

The game was really simple...you were a ball on the top of the screen.  Bug walks along the bottom at different speeds.  Push button at the right time (ball always fell at the same speed, gravity does not change) - hit ball with bug, you win, game over.

LOL.

Of course, I was only eight years old when I programmed that in BASIC.

Computer languages nowadays are far more complicated than BASIC and have moved beyond my ability to comprehend.

The best I can do now is program in php.

But I can program in BASIC and Pascal.

If only there was a way to save programs in SDLTRS.  But there isn'y any I can tell...so you have to program everything every time you go in...but you can do it.

But the old CLOAD and CSAVE functions do not work in SDLTRS.

EDIT:  Here's links to what I found before posting this topic.

Maybe someone can see stuff in there that I am not understanding or am missing...

http://sdltrs.sourceforge.net/

I can try to explain what I am looking for...

I am able to, for example, get inbto the casette management area, and put a cassette in.  But then I can't get to a screen that lets me RUN the darn thing!!

I am staring right now at a screen that says the following:

SDLTRS Cassette Menu

Cass:/mnt/utmp/sdltrs/Games1.dsk

Cassette Position    0 of 204800

Create Blank Cassette

And I can't get off the screen to make it run.  I can hover over the Casette Position and type 0 but nothing happens.

And I have no way of getting off this screen without F8 and totally exiting SDLTRS.

The thing is I USED to be able to play these games on Pandy with SDLTRS, but I forget what buttons to press anymore...and there's no Documentation File.

OK...ESC gets you back a screen...

but, still no way to get the programs to run.  Not sure how you do it.

CLOAD also worked when I had a cassette loaded in...but CSAVE didn't so I have no idea how I managed to get the programs on my cassette to save at the time I did them, LOL

One other thing:  If anyone here is a member of SourceForge (I'm not) could someone drop Mark Grebe a message?  Ask him how to run the thing in simple terms, just like, what buttons to press?  http://sourceforge.net/u/markgrebe/profile/

Back