Question on GPS...

trystero

Still Fresh
Would anyone be able to provide me with the most straightforward path for someone to get GPS up on Pandora?

I noted in a post below a reference to GPS sdio cards.

Will Pandora support a GPS sdio card, and, once that is in place, is it just a matter of waiting patiently for a port of open source GPS software? ( have any devs mentioned porting anything in this regard? )? Any concerns that GPS just won't really be viable on this platform?

trystero said:
Would anyone be able to provide me with the most straightforward path for someone to get GPS up on Pandora?

I noted in a post below a reference to GPS sdio cards.

You got 3 possibility's:

- Buy a bluetooth GPS. Link the Pandora with its bluetooth, and the bluetooth GPS.
- Buy a USB based GPS. As the Pandora's USB port is a full powered one, any USB device that you can put on your PC, will work on the Pandora ( if driver support is there of course ).
- And then you have the SDIO GPS option. In my opinion, the most expensive, and not practical. The SD slots are in front, so some may block your view.

You don't have that problem with the USB/bluetooth one's... Option 1& 2 are your best bet. The USB GPS is probably going to be cheapest, and you can just leave it in your car without worrying about a battery ( unlike a bluetooth GPS ). Disadvantage, the USB will drain from your Pandora battery. I don't have any data on how much a SirfIII is going to drain the battery... But, you can just plug in power to your Pandora, and problem solved ;)

Its a mix & match off possible solutions, problems, and what solution you want to live with.

Back