question: USB OTG

Kosmos

I came across a mini-usb-to-OTG cable and have two questions.

what can I use it for (hooking up a keyboard maybe?)

And how!

Just plugging it in and activating USBhost did nothing. (A usb keyboard I have atleast was not responsive....

I came across a mini-usb-to-OTG cable

Can you describe what connectors it has on each end?

mini-A?

mini-B?

Using the USB otg (which is mini-AB btw) should require mini-A male to full-A female for keyboards and such

And mini-B male to full-A female for connecting to a computer

If you want to connect a keyboard, you may be better off with a USB 2.0 hub

usb%20mini%20types.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Its a mini-B (male) to A (Female).

I would like to know what neat things I can do with it and how (if there is anything special).

Both the keyboard and USB-flashdrive may have not worked due to insufficient power? what can it be used for then?

thanks.

Its a mini-B (male) to A (Female).
Afaik, such a thing should not exist, as both connectors would normally be wired to a host device (and would plug into a slave). Cable manufacturers are crazy!

There is a pin (held high or low) that tells the pandora (and other usb-otg devices) whether the connector you plugged in is mini-A or mini-B, the state of this pin puts the mini-AB socket in either host or slave mode, as appropriate. With a little software hacking, I believe it is possible to force it into host mode, even with a mini-B. Other than hunt around the wiki and these forums, I can't help you with what sort of hacking is actually required here :(

As I'm more of a mechanical and hardware engineer, I would suggest dismantling the plug and rewiring the relevant pin. Unfortunately, this will probably be utterly impractical.

The connections are different.

Both ends are the same, but wires are reversed. Probably the data pins.

How would I go about checking weather the adaptor I have should work or not?

It is an unbranded block of plastic with female A on one end and male mini-A on the other (will find link/pic in a mo). I haven't tried to use it much, but when I have, It doesn't seem to have worked...

Well, we have to use an ohm meter to check routes and compare.

Can be tough as the mini pins are small.

I can do it, but not today, now i'm literally falling asleep.

My multimeter says:

fullUSB 1 --> miniUSB 1

fullUSB 2 --> miniUSB 2

fullUSB 3 --> miniUSB 3

fullUSB 4 --> miniUSB 4 and miniUSB 5

Host mode is active when pin 4 of the mini USB connector is shorted to ground (pin 5). If pin 4 is open, the device acts as a peripheral.

OK, so my adaptor is miniUSB-A both mechanically and electrically, but are the data pins reversed as Linux-SWAT mentioned? Should they be?

I think it should work, but because of driver quirks you have to load a gadget driver first, so:

Code:
sudo modprobe g_cdc

, connect the device to adapter and try plugging it to pandora.

I think it should work, but because of driver quirks you have to load a gadget driver first, so:

Code:
sudo modprobe g_cdc

, connect the device to adapter and try plugging it to pandora.
Didn't work for me.

Back