Questions About The Gp32 And The Gpx2

Trida

Still Fresh
Hi guys and girls !

I found about the GP32 yesterday, and it was love at first sight. I was thinking about buying one, so I read a few reviews, followed a few links and discovered the GPx2 ... "Even better !" I thought, but after reading a thread of 40something pages, I was not so sure. I was filled with doubt :) So, here am I, asking for your advice :

What do I want ?

I am interrested in emulating a gamegear, a genesis and a snes. Of course it would be nice to have more (like GBA and co) but those 3 emus are my main concern.

How much can I pay ?

about 200 euros (about 250USD or £150)

What should I do ?

a) Remain faithfull to my gamegear and buy a few games to spice things up :) The problem is that I can play for 3 hours max with brightness at 25% ...

b) go for the GP32 : 95 quids sold by gbax, guaranteed 160Mhz. I guess it will be a BLU+, so a few softwares are not going to run correctly, aren't they ? Or will the Diabologic method solve everything ?
Second question : is 160Mhz enough for Snes emulation ? I read the thread about opensnes, so it will be slow, but the emu is still beta (v0.3 iirc). Will it run smoothly in the future ? (in other words, are people still coding and improving opensnes ?)

c) wait for the GPx2 : that means waiting 3 month for the device + another 6 for the softwares. I am right in my estimations ? I saw that there will be no compatibility with the GP32, so my take is that at least 6 month will be needed to write optimized emu softs.

Are my assumptions valid ? What would you choose, and why ? Did I miss another option ?

Best regards,

gamegear + genesis run fine on the gp32... snes has some problems.

I for myself would wait for the gpx2... maybe gamepark holdings has some surprise for us + it will be very cheap.

The gp32 is a very cool machine too but its a little bit old... and the gpx2 will have some nice mediaplayer functions.

I'd definitely wait for the GPx2 myself. While it may not be much more powerful than the GP32 (who knows?), it isn't weaker. Software may be an issue, but if you wait you will be able to pick up a GP32 for cheap if you decide on that.

Bear in mind that if you wait for the GPx2, you will have to wait longer for software to run on this platform. GPx2 will not run gp32 software, so it will take time for many of the homebrew devs to port their work. Some software currently available for the gp32 may never make it onto the GPx2. So the question is, do you want a Console that has loads of good emulators and homebrew stuff that you can use now, or are you prepared to wait until next year when the GPX2 will finally have some good software available for it.

Keep an eye on Ebay, I bet you will see a lot of cheap GP32's on their now that the GPX2 has been announced.

If you can get a GP32 that runs at 180mhz then snez emu is good (albiet with choppy sound) but you get a reasonable frame rate and games like Donkey Kong Country and Mario run at full speed at 180mhz.

Game Gear/SMS and Genesis are pretty much perfect. I will be keeping my gp32 for some time an will only upgarde to the GPX2 if it turns out to be significantly better with good emu support.

Dont forget the GP32 has Excellent ports Such as Quake/Doom and Great emu's such as GP Engine.

Have Fun!

Steve.

RatchetMan said:
So the question is, do you want a Console that has loads of good emulators and homebrew stuff that you can use now, or are you prepared to wait until next year when the GPX2 will finally have some good software available for it.

So your estimation is that I'll have to wait one year to have a software bundle on the GPx2 that can compete with the GP32. Won't the fanboys rush to buy the new console and start coding/porting right away ? Does the absence of backward compatibility hinder the porting of the emus from the GP32 to the GPx2 (even if it's dirty and unoptimized)?

DaveC said somewhere that a few of the devs for some Emus (PCEgine amongst others) had left the scene : will this be an issue ? Is it possible that the GPx2 will never have the loads of homebrew the GP32 is enjoying right now ? (DaveC posts lead to pessimism ;))

Concerning the video, the GPx2 will be superior in quality, but at the cost of more space, right ? (Twice the res, twice the space) Or does the GPU help a lot and permits better compression rates ?

Well anyway, thanks a lot for your answers !

Last edited by a moderator:
fitzsteve said:
Keep an eye on Ebay, I bet you will see a lot of cheap GP32's on their now that the GPX2 has been announced. If you can get a GP32 that runs at 180mhz then snez emu is good

Okay, how can I know that the GP32 I buy will go to 180Mhz ? Is it possible to overclock a random GP32 up to 180Mhz or does it have to be a specific model/batch ?

Best regards,
Trida <keeping an eye on eBay :) >

Trida posted on Jul 29 2005 at 02:12 PM said:
... (DaveC posts lead to pessimism ;))...

Yeah at his bad attitude can be really annoying... just ignore most what he sais. :p

Trida posted on Jul 29 2005 at 02:17 PM said:
Okay, how can I know that the GP32 I buy will go to 180Mhz ? Is it possible to overclock a random GP32 up to 180Mhz or does it have to be a specific model/batch ?

Best regards,

Ask the eBay sellers for it :D
It doesn`t have to be specific model/batch...

Trida posted on Jul 29 2005 at 12:17 PM said:
fitzsteve said:
Keep an eye on Ebay, I bet you will see a lot of cheap GP32's on their now that the GPX2 has been announced. If you can get a GP32 that runs at 180mhz then snez emu is good

Best regards,

Usually they will state in the auction, I was lucky that my 166mhz gp32 was able to cluck to 180/200 once I drew on a resistor with a pencil but thats done at your own risk!

Trida posted on Jul 29 2005 at 12:12 PM said:
RatchetMan said:
So the question is, do you want a Console that has loads of good emulators and homebrew stuff that you can use now, or are you prepared to wait until next year when the GPX2 will finally have some good software available for it.

So your estimation is that I'll have to wait one year to have a software bundle on the GPx2 that can compete with the GP32. Won't the fanboys rush to buy the new console and start coding/porting right away ? Does the absence of backward compatibility hinder the porting of the emus from the GP32 to the GPx2 (even if it's dirty and unoptimized)?

DaveC said somewhere that a few of the devs for some Emus (PCEgine amongst others) had left the scene : will this be an issue ? Is it possible that the GPx2 will never have the loads of homebrew the GP32 is enjoying right now ? (DaveC posts lead to pessimism ;))

Concerning the video, the GPx2 will be superior in quality, but at the cost of more space, right ? (Twice the res, twice the space) Or does the GPU help a lot and permits better compression rates ?

Yeah, the fanbois don't like it when I tell it like it is. They want all unfounded optimistic posts even though not based on reality.

The reality is that yes there will be some emus that will never make it over to the new one. So is it worth it to wait a year to get a console with 40 more Mhz and less emulators? They ASSUME that devs will jump on the new one but many may not. Many have left the scene.

So I would say just get a BLU now. You can always get the new one in a couple of years if it goes anywhere.

DaveC posted on Jul 29 2005 at 02:02 PM said:
So I would say just get a BLU now. You can always get the new one in a couple of years if it goes anywhere.

Good Advice :)

DaveC posted on Jul 29 2005 at 02:02 PM said:
RatchetMan said:

Yeah, the fanbois don't like it when I tell it like it is. They want all unfounded optimistic posts even though not based on reality.

maybe there are some people getting a bit excited, but you are ridiculous.

LHC's post summed it up brilliantly. You complain about everything from dimensions of screen to type of screen to processor to joystick to touchscreen to OS.
The only way you will ever get a system to meet your needs entirely is to make it yourself.

Gamepark Holdings are trying something different here. A cheap media player with the flexibility and power to also be great at homebrew/ emulation coupled with many subtle improvements over the GP32. If thats not what you like and you just want to emulate the PSone/N64 then don't get one, but dont keep spouting things based on pure speculation.

My estimate is based on my experience of the gp32. I bought my gp32 for xmas 2003. It is now 2005 and two of the best emulators have only recently appeared. (I am referring to gpmame and drmd(sega genesis emulator)).

declaration posted on Jul 29 2005 at 02:32 PM said:
LHC's post summed it up brilliantly. You complain about everything from dimensions of screen to type of screen to processor to joystick to touchscreen to OS.
The only way you will ever get a system to meet your needs entirely is to make it yourself.

Gamepark Holdings are trying something different here. A cheap media player with the flexibility and power to also be great at homebrew/ emulation coupled with many subtle improvements over the GP32. If thats not what you like and you just want to emulate the PSone/N64 then don't get one, but dont keep spouting things based on pure speculation.

Never complained about the screen. it is fine on this.

Processor? yeah I complained 200 MHz is too slow, it isn't much more than what we have now.

Joystick? no never complained about it, it is fine.

Touchscreen? doesn't have one so why would I complain about one?

OS? well yeah bloated linux will rob memory and CPU making it slower. Linux is un-needed.

Never said I wanted to emulate a PS1 or N64, you are making stuff up. I said I wanted it to be able to emulate up to SNES and NeoGeo at full speed WITH sound. Not unreasonable considering the PSP does it now.

Considering the specs on this thing are almost the same as the Zodiac you should know what it can/can't do. SNES and Neo are slow and choppy on the Zodiac, what makes you think this system with similar specs will be any different?

DaveC posted on Jul 29 2005 at 03:57 PM said:
declaration posted on Jul 29 2005 at 02:32 PM said:

Considering the specs on this thing are almost the same as the Zodiac you should know what it can/can't do. SNES and Neo are slow and choppy on the Zodiac, what makes you think this system with similar specs will be any different?

You complain about every single handheld. Sure, none of us are 100% happy with anything we buy, but there is no need to bang on about small things all the time. If its not the Zodiac's joystick, the PSP's widescreen or the GP32's processor, it's the position of the goddamn start and select buttons.

Maybe this system will be no different. I never said it would be. But it could be and untill we know more (about the emu's GP mentioned, the OS, and exact price etc), there is no need to bitch all the time.

The GPX2 is not aiming to be ultra powerful. I'll say it again, it is supposed to be a great media player, combined with good gaming and emulation (coupled with many improvements over the GP32- more buttons, sd cards etc etc). If you are ultra picky (and you must be because Zodiac level SNES and Genesis emulation is fine for me) then this machine may not be for you.
Just accept they are going for something different and move on.

RatchetMan posted on Jul 29 2005 at 05:14 PM said:
My estimate is based on my experience of the gp32. I bought my gp32 for xmas 2003. It is now 2005 and two of the best emulators have only recently appeared. (I am referring to gpmame and drmd(sega genesis emulator)).

Yes, I agree, it seems a very good point. Because of you (and DaveC) I am going to invest in a GP32 in a few weeks and in a GPx2 next year or so. Damn you both ! :)

Best regards,
Trida

Good luck!

I'm sure you'll find plenty of other applications in the archives to keep you busy untill the new system comes out and gets it's inevitable support base running.

The new GP will be better, maybe not by as much as some would like but that dosent mean there should be any less interest than there was for the Zodiac development or PSP hacking, and concidering this is a company with a far better opinion of opensource dev communities it should be easier to get things running.

Being pragmatic keeps your feet on the ground while beeing enthusiastic puts your head in the clouds. It's good to have equal amounts of both to balance it all out.

"OS? well yeah bloated linux will rob memory and CPU making it slower. Linux is un-needed.
"

Um, linux can run on a wrist-watch...

Some of us may be unfoundedly optimistic, but you way exceed us in unfounded pessimism. :p

You, or we, DON'T YET KNOW HOW POWERFUL THE THING IS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

MHZ IS NOT ALL THERE IS TO IT!!!!!! B)

dave is one of the few people who sees it for what it is, a poor attempt at making the sucessor to the gp32.

they sacrificed too much to make it cheap look at the rarther poor hardware spec (compared to the other handheld consoles on offer eg giz,zod,psp+overclocked gp32 (and the other upcoming? offerings such as the XGP. ninja?))

it looks like a bastard to program for, but until someone has a go, it's harsh to knock that, but look at the jaguar and saturn, commercial coders had trouble with duel cpu's, a bedroom coder has little chance on this sort of duel core hardware unless they are very smart.

and with an os running in the background, it's gonna be slower than a 200mhz gp32, and about as good as a zodiac for emulation.

if 'the next model' is coming out in '06 what's the point in this other than a stop gap? just because it's gonna be under 100 quid or whatever does not in no way justify a purchace.

Back