Questions About The Pandora

mild546

Still Fresh
1)can the Pandora get a virus?
2)will there be anti virus created if it can get a virus?
3) can you upgrade the RAM?
4) will there be commercial games and accessories available?
5)is Pandora gonna be delayed again?
6) can i go to Pandora radio,play online games,or watch youtube?
7)do you have to pay monthly for using internet?
8) can i plug in an external CD drive and play computer games on it?
9)will n64 be hard to play?( because you have to use the keyboard as control buttons)
10) will a wide range of applications and games be available at launch?
11) is it glossy?
12) will the top screen bend back and break if i use a stylus on the touchscreen?
13) will there be a refurbished Pandora?
14)shipping cost?
15)does it have multiplayer?

1. It's theoretically possible, but highly unlikely. Basically NO.

2. ClamAV would work, if there were any known viruses. Security beats antiviruses, and linux has the former by design.

3. No. It is part of the main chip. Don't judge ram by PC standards.

4. That's up to whatever commercial game and accesories developers are out there. There's a thread about it.

5. No one knows, but unless something extraordinary happens (like the nub issue), it shouldn't.

6. Radio and youtube yes, flash games unlikely. At least not at launch.

7. No, it only has wifi.

8. You can plug in an external drive, but you can't play games made for Windows and/or compiled for an x86 CPU. That means open source software will relatively easy to port, but for anything closed-source you need the cooperation of the original developer(s).

9. I have no idea.

10. Again, there should be a lot of open source apps and games available.

11. The screen, no.

12. Craig said it's quite stiff and if you press hard enough to make it bend back, you'll break the touchscreen.

13. I don't know.

14. Should be the same as any other device from the UK.

15. Vague question. What kind of multiplayer? It depends on the particular piece of software, but there isn't anything about the pandora stopping it.

1) unlikely
2) maybe who knows
3) no
4) commercial games > nothing anounced to my knowledge /// Accessories > nothing but will probably hear more about this nearer the launch
5) if it need to be delayed it will be delayed to make sure this truly rocks
6) probably can listen to music and watch videos on youtube with firefox 3 online games will probably happen also with quake etc.
7) only have to pay for your internet you have at your house
8) maybe but this is a linux console and arm not windows x86
9) we will have to wait till a N64 emulator comes out to see how the controls will be handled but most likely wont be a issue
10) read the FAQ
11) the final version probably will be more glossy than what the picture and videos have shown
12) no
13) not yet
14) yes depends where you live
15) yes

visit these sites they will help more

http://pandorawiki.org/FAQ
http://www.openpandora.org/

pandora is gangsta said:
9)will n64 be hard to play?( because you have to use the keyboard as control buttons)
11) is it glossy?
12) will the top screen bend back and break if i use a stylus on the touchscreen?
14)shipping cost?
1) Show me a high end device that's hack/virual proof and i'll show you a snail that brought salt from me...
2) Assuming there's a Linux open source anti viral program available - then sure why not?
3) If I remember correctly, no the ram won't be upgradable.
4) It's possible - several publishers already showed some interest - just don't look for heavy hitters like EA Sports, Capcom, or Rockster to jump on this thing
5) It's possible(?)
6) Dunno about radio - surely a USB FM tuner can work or something(?) As for stuff that utilizes Flash - since it's opened up by Adobe then it's a given
7) It's wi-fi... read the faqs & figure it out...
8) Short answer: not really - read the faq - if it's x86 games & closed source then NO
9) Short Answer: read the faq regarding N64 being playable period...
10) Read the faq...
11) *shrugs*
12) ^ ^ ^ ^
13) What mobile device isn't available as a refurb after availability for afew months?
14) Read the faq
15) Read #5

Of course anyone can feel free to correct me on anything v_v

Last edited by a moderator:
Crasherball said:
16) will I ever read the faq before asking
Or use the search button? More then half these questions have been answered at least 3-4 times on separate posts in the past.

nubie said:
Pandora IS NOT gangsta!

Just to let you know.

Welcome to the forums btw.
Yeah, I'd say it's much more Indie Rock, and that's about as far removed from Gangsta as you can get.
Unless you were to create some kind of Indie Bluegrass. That'd be far more disconnected from Gangsta. I'm pretty sure the Pandora wouldn't be it, though. Maybe if it had a banjo...

pandora is gangsta said:
11) is it glossy?
14)shipping cost?
1)Yes, but only if his name is Cyrus
2)Cyrus is already anti-social
3)Rotisseried Aardvark Mammaries are not upgradeable at this time.
4)There will be commercials about games and accessories about commercials. However, there will be no donuts.
5)Does a chicken ride in a toboggan?
6)Yes, there will be a game where you try to fit a radio through a tube. It is inspired by the Swahili past-time of cheerio hola-hooping.
7)No, we will pay you to use the internet! Just go to this site www.imustbefrakkinretarded.com to get your starter pack.
8)You can play computer games on it. However, sitting on the device is generally not advised, and accidental orifice absorption is not covered under warranty.
9)Extremely. If you lose any lives while playing, a retired giraffe handler named Carl will slap you with a large fish of non-determinant origin.
10)Yes, unfortunately, they will all vaporize because of the destructive nature of launch exhaust.
11)Only with the light off.
12)No, but any one of the 74 bottom screens may. Beware.
13)There is not a special furby edition.
14)Has cheeseburger?
15)Yes. There is a special button located inside the screen that, if you find it, and press it, and let go, and wait, 3 extra pandoras will appear, and other people can play them, at the same time, and play together.
16)The story of origin is quite funny since you ask. It is rumored to be the brainchild of Bob Dole and Mrs. Butterworth (the pancake lady).
17)Why are you still asking questions?!

1)Yes, but only if his name is Cyrus
2)Cyrus is already anti-social

Linux has a strong security model that makes really difficult for a virus to make damage. Unfortunately, this security system is deactivated in the Gp2x and it is very likely that it will be deactivated in the Pandora as well (apps running as root). Viruses are then possible, and the mobile/networked Pandora is a pancake for crackers. (Un)fortunately, it won't sell so many units to attract attention from really bad crackers.

Antiviruses may not work on the Pandora, since most of them have a strong dependency on the i386 machine code.

Mutilator said:
5) if it need to be delayed it will be delayed to make sure this truly rocks
In spite of the fact that in the last months it was delayed to make sure this truly works :)

juanvvc said:
Unfortunately, this security system is deactivated in the Gp2x and it is very likely that it will be deactivated in the Pandora as well (apps running as root). Viruses are then possible, and the mobile/networked Pandora is a pancake for crackers.
That would be the stupidest thing anyone could do. If anything really needs to use something belonging to root, there's PolicyKit for that.

If the default linux distro on it behaves like that, I'm not buying one. I don't want to have to make and maintain my own distro.

juanvvc said:
Linux has a strong security model that makes really difficult for a virus to make damage. Unfortunately, this security system is deactivated in the Gp2x and it is very likely that it will be deactivated in the Pandora as well (apps running as root).
Why would Pandora apps need to run as root?

TaG said:
Why would Pandora apps need to run as root?
- Historical reasons: the Gp2x runs its apps as root, and the Pandora heirs every (if not all) of its current apps from the Gp2x.
- Timing reasons: it is the easiest thing. They have "more" important problems to solve (sound, 3D, wifi, gui) in only a month!
- Usability reasons: in case non-technical users want to configure their system or install special applications.
- Technical reasons: some emus will access directly to the hardware, and they need root privileges. I know, SUID. Read the other three reasons again.

Plase, keep in mind that I have no idea wether or not the Pandora will have only root at launch. This is only my assumption based on current projects, and I have not used the search box that I'm sure that holds the answer :)

There's no real need for any app to run as root. However, if the Pandora ends up along the same lines as the GP2X, then developers will want to hit the hardware to use the DSP and other hardware registers directly in there applications. Since this is a UMPC rather than a games device such as the GP2X, I think this should be strongly discouraged. If you just decide to play a game whilst doing something else in the background (say, downloading something), the last thing you want is for that game to shutdown X on you, adjust the screen resolution, or start messing with the cpu frequency.

Maybe there should be a driver to access such things as cpu freq or other valuable hardware regs? Then you would be able to (as a user) disable such actions, if you don't want them messed with.

I also think the files on the nand containing the OS and various other support files, should be read-only, and having a user account that is not root by default would be ideal for this.

juanvvc said:
- Historical reasons: the Gp2x runs its apps as root, and the Pandora heirs every (if not all) of its current apps from the Gp2x.
Not all apps on the GP2X need root.
juanvvc said:
- Timing reasons: it is the easiest thing. They have "more" important problems to solve (sound, 3D, wifi, gui) in only a month!
True, it's the easiest, but protecting the OS from the users could be considered important too.
juanvvc said:
- Usability reasons: in case non-technical users want to configure their system or install special applications.
They could be asked for a password the first time they switch on there Pandora, and asked for this should they want to configure there system or install special applications.
juanvvc said:
- Technical reasons: some emus will access directly to the hardware, and they need root privileges. I know, SUID. Read the other three reasons again.
Emu should not directly access the hardware regardless. This isn't a single tasking game machine. Such stuff is undesirable. In which case, they don't need root or suid either :)

(Some hw regs could be implemented in drivers, should the need arise)

I absolutely agree with Squidge and I hope that the Pandora will run from a unprivileged account as default. I just doubt that we will see that at launch :)

Without getting into the semantics of what Pandora is, it is a networked computer. Running a networked computer as root is 'not a good thing' and I really don't want to do it. Neither will a lot of others, including sindbad (see above).

Back