Quick Questions About C64 Emulation.

TitanUranus

Ok, I have a couple of questions, first and most importantly to me, will VICE c64 emulator be able to run fullspeed while also fully emulating a 1541 disc drive? If not, what sort of performace are we looking at? Will it be possible to watch all those amazing disc based Booze Designs, Oxyron and Byterapers c64 demo's for example?

I used to use VICE on the Wiz, and version 2.2 was a lot slower for me than 2.1, but with a tiny amount of overclocking, and farting around with some settings using the startup gpe I got it running really well, provided games didn't use fastloaders. I'd have to admit, I'll be a bit crushed if it cant handle 1541 emulation, my dream of a portable and fully compatible c64 with disk drive has been a dream of mine for a long time.

My second question, an idea I toyed with for the Wiz. I have an old 486 laptop set up as a server for my C64, but it would be absolutely super if the Pandora could be set up as a server for the real c64, even more so if it could emulate fastloading too. What's the general thoughts on this? How difficult would it be to set the Pandora up to act similar to say the 1541 MK III (which I didn't get, or I'd not have been able to afford a pandora). I know the Pandora has the speed, and I'd guess that the linux OS would actually be to its advantage (since the only 1541 emulators available use DOS due to critical timing that windows messes up - maybe this is an x86 issue too), but would it be a major PITA/impossibility to connect the Pandora USB to the c64 serial (current software uses the parallel prot on the old 486)?

TitanUranus said:
Ok, I have a couple of questions, first and most importantly to me, will VICE c64 emulator be able to run fullspeed while also fully emulating a 1541 disc drive? If not, what sort of performace are we looking at? Will it be possible to watch all those amazing disc based Booze Designs, Oxyron and Byterapers c64 demo's for example?

I used to use VICE on the Wiz, and version 2.2 was a lot slower for me than 2.1, but with a tiny amount of overclocking, and farting around with some settings using the startup gpe I got it running really well, provided games didn't use fastloaders. I'd have to admit, I'll be a bit crushed if it cant handle 1541 emulation, my dream of a portable and fully compatible c64 with disk drive has been a dream of mine for a long time.

vice runs fullspeed on the pandora, and has been shown by videos from either ED or I.

TitanUranus said:
My second question, an idea I toyed with for the Wiz. I have an old 486 laptop set up as a server for my C64, but it would be absolutely super if the Pandora could be set up as a server for the real c64, even more so if it could emulate fastloading too. What's the general thoughts on this? How difficult would it be to set the Pandora up to act similar to say the 1541 MK III (which I didn't get, or I'd not have been able to afford a pandora). I know the Pandora has the speed, and I'd guess that the linux OS would actually be to its advantage (since the only 1541 emulators available use DOS due to critical timing that windows messes up - maybe this is an x86 issue too), but would it be a major PITA/impossibility to connect the Pandora USB to the c64 serial (current software uses the parallel prot on the old 486)?

this doesnt sound like something vice would support.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back