Ram Upgrade?

Jonttu

Still Fresh
I don't know if this has been asked before but is it possible to upgrade the ram from 256 to oh say 512? I understand the modules are soldered and would require delicate removal.
I know the Pandora's OMAP allows up to 8 Chip Select Pins with 128MB per Chip Select Pin. So I'm guessing the Pandora only has 2 Chip Select Pins. Does anyone here know how the system would need
to be adjusted for more memory to be allowed. Impossible?

Yes, it has been asked before. Many times. But not recently, so I'll spare you this time.
The RAM is soldered onto the chip, a complete package deal, all or nothing. Called a Package-on-Package (PoP). This is something that is done by Texas Instruments, selected when you purchase the OMAP chip. There is no way to aftermarket add RAM (without a really fine soldering iron and one of the steadiest hands in the world).
This makes the whole package cheap(er), fast(er), small(er), and more stable than if it were connector based like what is in a desktop. Trust us, it's better this way. You may not be able to upgrade the RAM, but the reality is that you shouldn't need to. While the Pandora is designed to be multi-tasking, its true use case is only one app at a time, and unless developers aren't paying attention, 256 megs is a LOT of RAM for a single application.

WizardStan said:
There is no way to aftermarket add RAM (without a really fine soldering iron and one of the steadiest hands in the world)
I replaced the soldered memory in my UX180P, twas no small task. As for necessity, yes 256 is a lot for a single application
and honestly it should be enough to run a couple applications simultaneously, but I'm leaning towards more resource heavy gaming.
Also it's more for the can-do and brag factor. *smiley face

Last edited by a moderator:
Jonttu said:
WizardStan said:
There is no way to aftermarket add RAM (without a really fine soldering iron and one of the steadiest hands in the world)
I replaced the soldered memory in my UX180P, twas no small task. As for necessity, yes 256 is a lot for a single application
and honestly it should be enough to run a couple applications simultaneously, but I'm leaning towards more resource heavy gaming.
Also it's more for the can-do and brag factor. *smiley face
Impressive. Do you have any photos?

The GameCube and Wii don't even have 96mb. 256mb is really a lot of ram for this kind of device.

aho said:
The GameCube and Wii don't even have 96mb. 256mb is really a lot of ram for this kind of device.
Wii have 24M of "fast" memory and 64M of some-what slower memory...

Lunatic said:
Impressive. Do you have any photos?
I did a while ago not sure where they are now :/. I was going to put them on micropctalk. I would show you on the UX but it broke when trying to upgrade the cpu to a U7600, which is why I purchased the Pandora.
(should of let Anh do the cpu upgrade haha)

WizardStan said:
Yes, it has been asked before. Many times. But not recently, so I'll spare you this time.
The RAM is soldered onto the chip, a complete package deal, all or nothing. Called a Package-on-Package (PoP). This is something that is done by Texas Instruments, selected when you purchase the OMAP chip. There is no way to aftermarket add RAM (without a really fine soldering iron and one of the steadiest hands in the world).
This makes the whole package cheap(er), fast(er), small(er), and more stable than if it were connector based like what is in a desktop. Trust us, it's better this way. You may not be able to upgrade the RAM, but the reality is that you shouldn't need to. While the Pandora is designed to be multi-tasking, its true use case is only one app at a time, and unless developers aren't paying attention, 256 megs is a LOT of RAM for a single application.

Actually you need a hot air/infrared station :p

@Jonttu:

This pic shows what you have described. Pic here
But as you can see the processor also has pads on it, for stacking another chip above it (ie: nand, ram, both). Like WizardStan said, it's called package on package because of that. Both the beagleboard and the pandora use this method, but i'm guessing you never seen the pandora's box, opsss, the pandora's board.. rite? :p
Can the chip be swapped? Yes it can! Bot not by people like you and me, or even a professional!
You could use a hot air station to replace the chip, but as you heat it up you will also heat the chip below, screwing up the joints! Even some factories don't even support reflowing 0.4 pitch BGA's. They use xray cameras to check for bad joints.
I don't even know if it would work, if you successfully replaced the ram/nand chip without any damage! :p

WizardStan said:

Technically the RAM/NAND chip is purchased and assembled separately, Micron makes the module. It only needs to be assembled by someone capable of handling packing on package. I have no idea what it's like to replace it - for someone/company with PoP experience it might not be harder than replacing a typical BGA. Which of course can't reliably be done with hand soldering, you'd need a rework station.

I could be a little wrong on this though, I'm nothing like an EE.

hmmm, seems like too much of a hassle... oh well, how else could I make my panda one of a kind?

Jonttu said:
hmmm, seems like too much of a hassle... oh well, how else could I make my panda one of a kind?
You could always bling it out a bit.

537892078_1430104.gif

The iPhone is the ultimate handheld device (at this point - With Pandora not out yet) and that is only 400mhz (i little over.. 412mhz-425mhz) and 128Mb ram (iPhone 3G. Not 3Gs).
Awesome Device, awesome OS (OSX 10.4.9!) and its just freakin AWESOME! Jailbroken of course

kingoddball said:
The iPhone is the ultimate handheld device (at this point - With Pandora not out yet) and that is only 400mhz (i little over.. 412mhz-425mhz) and 128Mb ram (iPhone 3G. Not 3Gs).
Awesome Device, awesome OS (OSX 10.4.9!) and its just freakin AWESOME! Jailbroken of course
yeah, I only wish they could get the linux drivers for it working, and the controls for the games make me want to kick cute furry forest creatures into oblivion.

kingoddball said:
and this has relevance how

Relevance? Well.. It shows that low ram is still good and also that the iPhone is awsome!
Don't be mean. Just agree!

As for games to kick fury creatures.
Quake3 is available, too bad about the controls (accelerometer only) I would like analog spots and to install a custom pak file with fury little killable crestures.

My N800 has 128MB RAM and I run the applications I want. It's fine. 256MB will be like going from 1GB to 2GB on a desktop Linux computer: Nice, but not earth-shattering. And nice, as in not really wanting for more, for normal use cases.

@wermy - that was hilarious!

Currently most of the stuff that was demoed was done on the boards that only had 128Meg of memory.
But his point was never that 256 Meg wasn't enough, he's just a modder.

There's a thread in the Developer section that's just been started about modding I believe, may be worth seeing what it's saying jonttu.

Be interesting to see the crazyness people get up to.

Back