Random Ponderings

Cyclops

Couple of things I'm not really sure of which is best NTSC vs PAL emulated games, higher framerate vs higher resolution. Esp when full frameskip is not possible.

Whats really better ext2 vs fat32 for filesystem from a find the file/read it/storage space/lifetime of card perspective?

If emulation is too fast/slow on the GP2X wouldn't it be possible just to changing the ARMS clock speed?

Framerate and resolution doesn't really matter that much for snes era games and earlier, in my opinion.

I think ext2 is a journaling file system, and it is newer than FAT32, so I would think it would be better to use. But, Windows by itself doesn't read or write to ext2, so there is less compatibility for the majority of people without using a separate application/driver.

In theory that would probably work, but increasing the clock speed can only give you a limited amount of performance boost. Optimizing the code is much more practical, albeit more tedious, solution.

There was some discussion on this before and since ext2 would read and write a lot to the SD it would shorten it's lifetime radically.

I think ext2 is a journaling file system, and it is newer than FAT32, so I would think it would be better to use. But, Windows by itself doesn't read or write to ext2, so there is less compatibility for the majority of people without using a separate application/driver.
ext2 isnt journalling, ext3 is ext2 with journalling support. Ext2/3 would also support case sensitive filenames and links unlike fat32.

And as for tv format I don't think it would really matter as it wouldnt make much of a visible diference.
You should use the standard that is used in your country because either.
a. Your tv won't recongnise the alternate standard and the screen will become garbled and out of sync
b. Your tv will just convert the alternate standard back to your country's standard anyway
c. If you're lucky enough to have bought a tv reletavely recently it should be fully supported in either standard

Last edited by a moderator:
ext2 isnt journalling, ext3 is ext2 with journalling support. Ext2/3 would also support case sensitive filenames and links unlike fat32.
I thought I might be wrong about the jounaling thing. Thank you for correcting me.

Last edited by a moderator:
NTSC really stands for "National Television Systems Committee", but the colour reproduction on NTSC television is so poor compared to other systems that most people claim it really stands for "Never The Same Colour". :)

Back