Read This Before Asking Questions In "i Need Help"

PSyMastR

\m/O__O\m/
Website
Visit site
Not all SD cards will work. Currently SD cards larger then 1 gig will not work, and some may not allow you to upgrade the firmware to the newest as of this post (1.0.1)
See this thread to see which ones are compatible:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=22383

Now, for the scratched screen. I've seen this asked many times.
Remove the thing attached to the LCD. Now, place your screen on. Now remove the protective layer off the top of the screen. Yes, there is this layer on the screen also. This will reveal the regular screen underneath it. Now, remove the same protective layer off of the bottom part that has a power light, and batter light (if you want).

Next, for upgrading to 1.0.1 and the Media Player Issue.
Make sure you have a compatible SD card, and place the 7 files of the firmware update on the SD card, in the main folder (just drag and drop into the root directory of the SD card). Now, place it in your GP2X and turn it on. If you see a "firmware upgrading" thing that looks like this:
master_051128165619.gif

then your all good. Once that finished a different logo screen will show.
Now, go to utilities and select the update with the many numbers after it.
NOTE: ONLY DO THIS UPDATE IF YOU ARE SURE YOU ARE RUNNING 1.0.1!

Running the emulators.
Make sure you installed the SDL libraries that can be found in the GP2X file archive. To do this, go to utilities, and install them. This will make most games work that previously didn't work before.

USB problems
As of the current state, USB will only work with 1.1 or on a hub for Windows XP. Linux and Mac, I am currently unable to answer, but others have an answer for it.

This should solve many questions here. Hope this helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
PSyMastR posted on Dec 1 2005 at 11:18 PM said:
Next, for upgrading to 1.0.1 and the Media Player Issue.
Make sure you have a compatible SD card, and place the 7 files of the firmware update on the SD card, in the main folder (just drag and drop into the root directory of the SD card). Now, place it in your GP2X and turn it on. If you see a "firmware upgrading" thing that looks like this:
master_051128165619.gif

then your all good. Once that finished a different logo screen will show.
Now, go to utilities and select the update with the many numbers after it.
NOTE: ONLY DO THIS UPDATE IF YOU ARE SURE YOU ARE RUNNING 1.0.1!

Bad advice. My unit didn't say it upgraded, but it deleted the kernel images and the firmware page says 1.0.1. Unfortunately, if you run the media player update in this situation, you'll end up losing the ability to play videos since the kernel didn't actually update.

Looks like there are 2 versions of the 1.0.1 firmware. One you dowload of GPH's site and one in the new batch of GP2x.

PSyMastR: I can mount my card in Linux using the GP2X's usb connection, but I have had instabilities with it. My gp2x crashed when I was coping a large file(200mb XviD avi to test the mediaplayer) to it. I would recomment using a card reader anyways.

More fun stuff about the gp2x and mounting on linux:

Using a card reader:
/dev/sda1 is the partition
/dev/sda is the whole card

Using the GP2X:
/dev/sda is the partition
you can't access the whole card

So...
If you use a card reader, the card behaves like a hdd.
If you use the gp2x's usb connection, it looks like a superfloppy.

BBTroll posted on Dec 3 2005 at 08:16 PM said:
Looks like there are 2 versions of the 1.0.1 firmware. One you dowload of GPH's site and one in the new batch of GP2x.

PSyMastR: I can mount my card in Linux using the GP2X's usb connection, but I have had instabilities with it. My gp2x crashed when I was coping a large file(200mb XviD avi to test the mediaplayer) to it. I would recomment using a card reader anyways.

More fun stuff about the gp2x and mounting on linux:

Using a card reader:
/dev/sda1 is the partition
/dev/sda is the whole card

Using the GP2X:
/dev/sda is the partition
you can't access the whole card

So...
If you use a card reader, the card behaves like a hdd.
If you use the gp2x's usb connection, it looks like a superfloppy.

/dev/sda may be the whole sd card on YOUR system, however some distros call any SATA drive /dev/sda, so it will depend on the individual hardware on the users machine as to what the card is referenced as under /dev

Just a heads up . . . :)

Yeah, I should have used /dev/sd* (where * is your gp2x/card read) but that would have been annoying to type/read after the 3rd time.

Also, if you have any scsi devices, they will show up as /dev/sd* too.

Back