Readme File

Do you read the readme files that devs generously provide with apps and emus?

• Yes I spend a few moments skimming through it before trying to set something up or running it just t

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I set the app up and then if things don't work I check out the readme

• I randomly throw the files on my SD card and then just post a new thread on gp32x asking people why

• the readwhatnow?

• I like crispy bacon

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read them, although I wish that all the Readme files would contain at least sufficient information. :p

I've been around long enough for my own common sense to get me through most applications, so I only check out the readme.txt when I've come up against some unexpected problems, or if I'm just in the mood to read them... randomly.

I like readme files. Mostly they are full of interesting background informations.

i definitaly read them all. i dont really understand most of them but it is a big help to have something to look at. for me its ussually just trial and error.

oh yeah i like crispy bacon!

If it's a new emulator, utility, or interpreter I'm installing, I'll always read the readme, since it tells me where to put things, what formats are supported, whether there are any chips that aren't yet.

If I'm upgrading, I may rely on the news post for what's new, unless it's something big - e.g. the addition of sega-cd in picodrive.

If it's a homebrew game that's released as an alpha, I'll often skim the readme. If it's released as final, I might well not, on the assumption that most actual games either aren't that complex to just bash until something works, or are that complex but have built in help in the actual program, especially when complete.

What's a Readme File? Does it play N64 roms, and where can I get them?

lubidog said:
What's a Readme File? Does it play N64 roms, and where can I get them?

:lol:

I usually read the readme files come with the software. If it's an update of some software or a bugfix release etc just take a quick look at history - recent changes parts ; if it's completely new stuff then spend some more time reading the readme file

Last edited by a moderator:
woogal said:
So there isn't a single person who is too stupid/lazy to read the readme? *sniff* *sniff* I smell bullshit.
Note that a lot of the people who have replied have been around here for at least a little while. Odds are good that most of the retards who don't RTFM aren't going to reply to this thread or vote in the poll. They know what they're doing is wrong, they just do it anyway, and that's why I hate them.

I only read them if it sounds like a complex game, to get to know controls, etc. To be honest though, I actually find forums a good place for info too. You can almost guarantee that if you run into issues with (gp2x) software, someone round here will know the answer.

Google and the forum search feature > Read me files, at least in a lot of cases.

I randomly throw the files on my SD card and then just post a new thread on gp32x asking people why it doesn't work

Only 1 vote? The contents of 90% of these forums would suggest a few more :)

Sphinxter said:
Half does seem extremely high, thought bacon would have come in stronger.

i totally voted for bacon

Well, bear in mind that the current positive option is still "spending a few minutes skimming through". I would not have voted for a stronger option of "I don't touch the software unless I've read and fully understood any documentation that comes with it", and I believe most others wouldn't have either...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back