Rediscovering Gp32

ralp99

well with the recent MAME updates released for GP32, i decided to put the gba micro down for five minutes and give the ol' boy some attention. I forgot how nicely polished so many of the emulators were for this thing! The current MAME is spectacular, no one can forget DrMD, and I just started playing with OSNES9X for the first time in ages as well - I forgot how smoothly it runs! Yeah, it doesn't work well with sound (neither MAME) but in spite of that the Snes emu is quite fast and very fun to play (no transparencies, I know). Makes me wish I had a BLU rather than a FLU to enjoy it.. maybe I will look into seeing if I can locate one (does anyone know where they're still sold? If anywhere?)

In light of all that's gone on since with GP2X, a lot of the old love for the GP32 has been pretty much "been there, done that..." I've long been interested in upgrading to 2X as well (nicer screen, TV out, more power=better emu's) but all the talk of the joystick and overall bugginess have hindered me from coughing up the dough (also, I don't have --that-- much disposable income lying around lately). Anyway it's been a nice kick to get reinvigorated about what I already have, and the fact that MAME development continues just makes it that much better.

Is anyone else out there still digging on the GP32?

On a side note - picking up OSNES9X, it makes me sad that it's been left in the state that it has - even if it's never polished up anymore on the emu side, I wish someone would take a little time to smooth out the interface or something a little (all the zipfile names get crunched illegibly) in the fashion of the other more complete emulators out there (MAME, little john, DrMD, etc). Never happen I know, but one can wish right?

Those of you who've updated to 2X - do you ever go back to the GP32 and feel like it's superior in any areas? Or is it to the point where the 2X totally blows away 32 for you at this point.. just curious.

i will check out 2X at E3 next month (if it's on display, I am assuming it'll be there) and judge for myself, I suppose..

Well i'm not RE-discovering the gp32 but still discovering it.

I think that i have some 2345 games to play on all the emu's so...

Since my girlfriend has discovered animal crossing I haven't been able to get to my DS lately.

So I charged up some batteries (haven't done that for months!) and I've started to mess around with all my games on the GP32 again.

It's terrific! There are so many Atari ST, Commodore and Megadrive games I haven't played yet and that's before I start fiddling with the new version of MAME.

I'm excited about the GP32 again! - Anyone know if that f-day thing is still happening?

I just bought a BLU off craigix so I will be revisiting some of my favourites again on the gp32 soon enough.

I just can't bring myself to use my FLU after seeing the screen on my PSP and GP2X.

I'm currently downloading the entire Automation set of ST games. CaSTaway is such a sweet little runner!
And Mame is just amazing now.
Of course, DrMD is 100% perfect, as is LittleJohn.

That microswitched joystick makes for perfect control too, no frustrations ever. I have no idea why they didn't carry it over.

Iorgy77 posted on Apr 30 2006 at 12:07 PM said:
I just bought a BLU off craigix so I will be revisiting some of my favourites again on the gp32 soon enough.

I just can't bring myself to use my FLU after seeing the screen on my PSP and GP2X.

Same here - I just bought myself a BLU with 2 128MB cards for £28 off ebay because I couldn't go back to the FLU screen after getting my GP2X. The only problem with it is the right shoulder button is a bit dodgy, so you can't really play Doom on it. It also had a missing battery cover but luckily I had a spare one.

I am re-discovering the GP32 though, and the ZX Spectrum, NES, SMS, Gameboy and Mega Drive emulation is equal or better than the GP2X. I think I am only going to use my GP2X for things the GP32 can't handle as well (like Quake, SNES, MAME and C64) and Tilematch, and use my GP32 for my 8 bit gaming and Sudoku.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also only picked up my GP32 today for the first time since the GP2X came out.
Funny that several people are suddenly revisiting the good ol' GP32 at the same time.

For 8-bit gaming it is still the daddy.

Shame that they changed the case & joystick design, as I reckon it is a step backwards, the GP32 is a pleasure to use.

I have been using a NLU all this time. With the latest MAME updates, I desided to go for a BLU. I found one that was brand new, sealed, never used! I got it Monday of this week. Wow! Awesome! I never knew what I was missing. I feel like I have been blind all this time. This is insane, every portable that I have will now gather dust. This thing is a beauty to behold. It is also so easy to set up your SMC. Just one folder is all you need for emulation.
"Rediscovering here!"

Heh, well, rediscovering? maybe not but putting it through the same old loops still... yeah. I decided about a month back to actually throw all of the homebrew (gp32 specific games not ports or emus) on my GP32 and give it a run through, it had been awhile and I had missed some and all I gotta say is aside from it's main strengths (ports and emus) this thing still kicks ass :) all the little gems that were made for this system is unbelieveable. Anyways to answer your question, most of the time I prefer my GP2X nowadays (probably cause I only have a FLU and NLU, for now....) but their are certain things that play perfectly on gp32 that are now on gp2x also and yet I still prefer my clicky joystick for, ect. or just for extended play time seeing as the gp2x is kinda a battery hog compared to anything on gp32.

My GP32 has been a faithful companion whilst I've been doing my world tour (currently in Oz still, after 6 months). Currently I can't get enough of Shining Force on DrMD, Texas Holdem, Chrono Trigger on Reesy's Opensnes (the sound is WAY better than 0.3) and Alien Vendetta wad for GP Doom.

There is indeed a lot still going for the GP32, and I doubt I'll ever get bored of it!

Hooka posted on May 3 2006 at 11:59 PM said:
this thing still kicks ass :) all the little gems that were made for this system is unbelieveable.
It is a shame to see you speaking in the past tense, but it seems to be the case. As you say there are some truly amazing little gems in there. I prefer to play the port of Kuni's Spout on the GP32. Hardly a day goes by without me picking mine up just for the homebrew. The quality is incredible and there is something to suit any mood. Eskiv - simple but fun, Elena - a great twist on tetris, Aka Noid - the arkanoid clone, Lacuna - what can I say ? I could go on and on .... There is even an isometric pacman clone with all the original cacophony of sound. I love my GP32. Maybe those who have brought the cast offs will breath new life into the homebrew scene.

now that i have done the pencil overclock trick i can play video at 30fps with bitrates over 500 :D

Its a whole new world with my GP32 now :D

just wish i could change the LCD as the BLU screen is C.R.A.P

For me, using the GP32 with its clicky joystick after playing with the GP2X is like a world of precision, despite DaveC's cap. The battery life is amazing, the way you can turn the volume all the way down and be positive that it will not make some noise when playing during a class is invaluable. Whenever I play a Genesis,Atari 800 or SMS game (not talking about Colecovision or MSX), I go for the GP32. In my opinion 1) the joystick and 2) the screen without interlacing are its major advantages over the GP2X.

Simply put, wherever I take the GamePark with me, its either both or just the GP32 :)

I am also rediscovering. My current favs are Atari800 - Ultima3, MULE (made a nice custom menu for Ultima 3), fGB32 - MrDriller, Frodo - Great Giana Sisters, and Lacuna. Both the precise control of the stick and feel of this handheld while playing are the best of anything I've ever experienced.

I've also picked up the devkitarm (R17) and have been cutting a little code the past couple of days. Devving is so much simpler than on palmos! One of the roguelikes is limping to life. :)

Nice thread. I've totally rediscovered my GP32, very tempted to sell my GP2X. Its been quite a while since the GP2X has been out and i dont see anything better emulator wise for it, if anything theres far less out. None of Rylehs emulators are out on the GP2X which i love so for me i'm back on the GP32 as it can do practically everything the GP2X can currently apart from TV Out. Films / music i dont listen to on the GP2X anyway so i'm not missing out.

The emulators on the GP32 are very polished and all work brilliantly

WhiteFalcon posted on May 5 2006 at 10:50 AM said:
you can turn the volume all the way down and be positive that it will not make some noise when playing during a class is invaluable. 1) the joystick and 2) the screen without interlacing are its major advantages over the GP2X.

I do wish the gp2x had a simple wheel for the volume like the gp32, I think this could be somewhat fixed if somehow the gp2x just had an overall volume setting so no matter what app you opened next the volume would be the same as the last.

Both one and two are fixed now...... <_<
(yeah thats right stuck with the old gp2x)

I still love my gp32_console and use it almost daily.

I was one of those who pre-ordered the GP2X and it just didn't do it for me. The crappy joystick, the low battery time, unfinished firmware, almost no software, etc. made me send it back.

The GP32 Just Works(tm). Also, all the emulators I use are feature-rich, highly optimized and have good menus and everything.

In my opinion it is still the superior console, usability-wise.

EDIT: I'm thinking about buying a BLU since they seem to be cheaper on eBay now. Although I'm a bit scared about the loss of battery time, I just love how the batteries last forever on the FLU (with light turned off).

Dryer Lint posted on May 6 2006 at 08:52 PM said:
I still love my gp32_console and use it almost daily.

I was one of those who pre-ordered the GP2X and it just didn't do it for me. The crappy joystick, the low battery time, unfinished firmware, almost no software, etc. made me send it back.

The GP32 Just Works(tm). Also, all the emulators I use are feature-rich, highly optimized and have good menus and everything.

In my opinion it is still the superior console, usability-wise.

EDIT: I'm thinking about buying a BLU since they seem to be cheaper on eBay now. Although I'm a bit scared about the loss of battery time, I just love how the batteries last forever on the FLU (with light turned off).
I wish I would have time to use mine daily, as you seem to have ;).
I first had a GP32 NLU, but fell down the stairs with it in my pocket :rolleyes:. So, I bought Jarska333's BLU+ and am very happy with it. It clocks up to 256MHz without any problems other than batterylife. My batteries and charger suck, though...

BTW, you can turn off the backlight on the BLU too, if you feel like batterylife matters more than visibility :p.

Yea, but if I get my facts right, the FLU screen is actually visible with the light turned off, while the Blu one isn't. :p

- Alex

Back