Refund Problem.

Shock-Socks

Still Fresh
alright, so as much as i don't like saying it, i had to get a refund. i sent my refund request to openpandorasales@gmail.com and i promptly received an email saying that my order was cancelled and that my money had been refunded. shortly after that, i got the google checkout receipt and it showed that i had been refunded 217.71 Euros. I live in america so i use the US dollar, and 217 euros = about $290.... i see a problem.

i payed almost $380 for my pandora and for a refund i'm getting $290? thats almost a 100 dollar difference. i understand inflation, poor economic conditions, and i understand that the euro is worth more than the us dollar, but something must be wrong because there can't seriously be a 100 dollar difference in the amount that i was refunded.

finally, i responded to the confirmation email that i got from openpandorasales@gmail.com explaining this, and the response that i received blamed it on exchange rates.

Is there anything that i can do? if so what? and if not, why not?

thanks, maby :|

Well, at one time the Euro was almost 1 for 2 USD. Now is at only 1.3. More than 25% devaluation.... Sorry, but blame Wall Street.

one thing i would say is... well.. if you buy your order back, you will buy it at the cost you just got refunded (i think)

sounds like it would be better to get the pandora and not sorta lose the $100. i mean, do you really need the money right now or are you just not willing to keep waiting?

Can you confirm you were refunded in EUR and not GBP? Did you buy from ED's store (gp2x.de) or Craig's (gbax.com)?

In any case it's easily possible to get a $100 difference, I did the sums the other day and worked out I'd be $100 down if I cancelled (not that I plan on it). That's just how the market is, sadly.

you can check how high/low was USD / GBP or USD / EUR when you pre-order your pandora with this tools

http://www.oanda.com/lang/fr/currency/historical-rates

And if you pre-ordered in October, according to this, one dollar was worth 1.68833 GBP. At that rate, £217.71 would get you $367.56 - in my case, there was a currency conversion charge of around $10, so this could account for the discrepancy.

Alternately, if the exchange rate was fixed in September, as I've heard may have been the case, your £217.71 would have been worth $391.50 according to that site. (Of course, the dollar rose fairly steeply during that time period.)

This is why I have no plans in refunding. I know it will come, but if I refund now, I not only get so much less, but I have no pandora.

i must apologize, i did not realize that the 217 was in GDP not Euros. the total comes to about $333 which is much more acceptable. in the future i will endeavor to double check before i hurriedly post like this. again, i apologize

Shock-Socks said:
i payed almost $380 for my pandora and for a refund i'm getting $290?

This is the issue - you didn't actually pay OpenPandora anything in US$. You "paid" OpenPandora in either Euros or Pounds (depending where you got it from), and your bank/credit card company charged you US$ which was then converted to the correct currency.

So as long as you were refunded the same amount of Euros that you originally paid, you have been given a full refund and can't really do anything about it - it's just foreign exchange risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shock-Socks said:
i must apologize, i did not realize that the 217 was in GDP not Euros. the total comes to about $333 which is much more acceptable. in the future i will endeavor to double check before i hurriedly post like this. again, i apologize
It's only natural for your eyes to bulge out at such a discrepancy. It's nice that it's not as large, though.

GunPei2X said:
Shock-Socks said:
i payed almost $380 for my pandora and for a refund i'm getting $290?

This is the issue - you didn't actually pay OpenPandora anything in US$. You "paid" OpenPandora in either Euros or Pounds (depending where you got it from), and your bank/credit card company charged you US$ which was then converted to the correct currency.

So as long as you were refunded the same amount of Euros that you originally paid, you have been given a full refund and can't really do anything about it - it's just foreign exchange risk.
It's a bit silly, but they got me to pay in USD. I'm Canadian. I converted it to USD, and they probably converted it to pounds or euros or whatever.

There's irony too - I'd make money if I cancelled. Approximately $85, despite Canada's currently high dollar.

Heh, you didn't get less money because the USD is devalued - you got less money because the USD is worth MORE against the GBP than it was, so when you get the same amount of GBP back as before, it takes fewer dollars to match that amount of GBP than it used to.

Shock-Socks said:
You probably would have been better off keeping your order then ebaying it if you didn't want it. Due to the fact that these will be hard to get in the beginning and demand high you would probably have MADE money.

DaveC said:
Shock-Socks said:
You probably would have been better off keeping your order then ebaying it if you didn't want it. Due to the fact that these will be hard to get in the beginning and demand high you would probably have MADE money.

I doubt that would be the case. There are a number (small, but there) of preorder slots left. If someone REALLY wanted one from the first batch, I think they could get it.

quadomatic said:
DaveC said:
Shock-Socks said:

I doubt that would be the case. There are a number (small, but there) of preorder slots left. If someone REALLY wanted one from the first batch, I think they could get it.

Sure now, how about two weeks after they've shipped and those are snapped up by the second batchers.

it depends on how soon he wants the money, not eating for two months (tm) while waiting for the Pandora to ship tends to have adverse effects on your health :p

I haven't even placed my order OR raised the money to buy one (Only 16, and jobless) and I feel adverse side-effects already. :blink:

I just hope by the time I have the money that there'll be some batch twos left! I've done the calculations, and I need to work over 80 hours to get enough money for one on minimum wage, and a typical work day consists of merely a few hours!

Really want to know what you can do with that $50 difference? Claim it on your income tax next year as an investment loss. It comes right off your income. It doesn't seem like much, but if that $50 drops your tax bracket, you save big!
And even if not, you'll at least get a couple dollars extra back.

Back