Release Thread: Emulators

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
8Blitter

Emulator

Author: Lordus

8blitter.png

8Blitter is a MasterSystem/Gamegear/Gameboy emulator.

There are surely better emulators out there for each

individual system, but i have been sitting on this for a while,

so i thought, why not release it, as it has some useful features:

- Rewind and Fast Forward

- OpenGL ES rendering rendering/scaling on Wiz, which looks quite nice and eliminates tearing

- Hopefully, a nice interface

- In-game savestate menu with live preview of savestates

- Game selection menu with touchscreen keyboard search function

- Game selection menu shows total play time, and available saves

Download Pandora Version

Download WIZ Version

apkenv & apkenv.ui

Emulator

Author: crow_riot, thp

apkenv allows to play a handful of popular android games on the open pandora without the need of launching android itself.

it only works for games support modules have been written for and mostly only some specific version(set) of that games.

apkenvui is a simple sdl based frontend for apkenv.

a free apk that has a working support module can be downloaded here: http://thp.io/2011/trg2/

for specific game versions that are supported by the current release, please refer to the repo description: http://repo.openpandora.org/?page=detail&app=apkenv.crow_riot.app

Download Pandora Version

Sourcecode: https://github.com/crowriot/apkenv and https://github.com/crowriot/apkenvui

arcem

Emulator

Author: Sam Watkins (port)

arcem.png

Acorn Archimedes Emulator, for RISC OS 3 (alpha)

We can run games such as Zarch - a very challenging game!

Usage:

1. launch ArcEm

2. Choose a disk image, then run the emulator

3. make the main window fullscreen, using the window menu on the left of the title bar

4. press the "select / ctrl" key, to capture the mouse

5. click the floppy icon, then double click the game icon

6. to exit, alt-tab then close the 2nd window

Issues: Games do not run full-screen yet, and I don't think the sound is working... but fun can be had!

Download Pandora Version

Download Sourcecode

DraStic

Emulator

Author: Exophase

Nintendo DS emulator

Download Pandora Version

PPSSPP

Emulator

Author: p'titSeb (Port)

ppsspp.png

PPSSPP is a PSP Emulator.

Written in C++, it translates PSP CPU instructions directly into optimized

x86, x64 and ARM machine code, using an efficient JIT compiler.

It uses OpenGLES2 for 3D Emulation, with HLE.

Download Pandora Version

Download Sourcecode

Last edited by a moderator:
That Acorn screenie.. that font looks _really_ familiar; like Atari ST familiar (ie: GEM). I wonder if theres some common lineage there ..

jeff

That Acorn screenie.. that font looks _really_ familiar; like Atari ST familiar (ie: GEM). I wonder if theres some common lineage there ..
Looks a lot like Topaz on the Amiga too :)

D.

If you need some ArcEm stuff, look at

http://acorn.revivalteam.de/?site=Downloads

and have fun ;-)

P.S.: It works also under RISC OS ArcEm. ;-)

I think native RISC OS with ArcEm will work better than my ArcEm port, for the moment.

[edit: I fixed the following issue] My Pandora Linux ArcEm does not work yet if you have a FAT SD card, due to appdata issues!  and it's a very early port with various issues.

(in fact I ported it the day after the compo finished, sssh! lol, don't worry I will try not to win, and if I do I will donate to the pre-order fund! or maybe not, hmm...)

It does work if you use NTFS or a proper Linux filesystem on your SD cards.  I am using ext4.  [also works with FAT now, after some wrangling!]

Is apkenv for Pandora somehow getting the new modules written for Maemo?

I try your ArcEm. It works fine from my FAT card and it works better with my HD Image ;-)

If anybody need one with a lot of free stuff please tell me. I can upload (tomorrow morning).

Is apkenv for Pandora somehow getting the new modules written for Maemo?
sure when i get aware of them i'll integrate them. but currently i'm not aware of any new working module.

the latest module working on maemo is the cut the rope module, which was pretty much done by me.

Cool, glad it's working for you... you can make the window full screen good for desktop use anyway, but it doesn't zoom the games (yet).  I figure I'll write an SDL backend for ArcEm and then use Notaz's hardware scaling SDL thingy.  Should help performance with graphics, as we have some hand-written Neon code in our SDL... I forgot who wrote that, maybe Notaz or Exophase, but it's good stuff!  :)

For my opinion, RISC OS is one of the best operating systems.  It has a well designed GUI, with context menus and drag+drop for saving and direct file transfer between applications.  This drag+drop is so much more usable than the ever-accursed windows-style "file load/save dialog" - just keep open the folders you are using, and drag files to and from applications to load and save.  Even something so simple as the mouse pointer, it was done with a hardware overlay, and updated for each frame (at >= 50Hz), so using the mouse it feels much more responsive than on Windows or anything else.  The RISC OS desktop uses cooperative multi-tasking, which is a good approach in my opinion, and the task manager allows the user to control memory allocation.  The desktop distinguishes applications from documents, and the task bar an icon for each running application.  Closing all document windows does not close the application.  RISC OS was very well documented.  The built-in BBC BASIC is structured, and good for writing simple and complex programs, including RISC OS GUI apps.  It allows inline assembly code.  Some of the apps for RISC OS, such as Sibelius (Score writer), Artworks (Vector graphics), and Impression (DTP), are stunning examples of good design, it's truly impressive to have such apps on an 8MHz computer.  RISC OS had a brilliant anti-aliased font system back in 1989, and a system format for vector graphics.  Linux and Windows took like 20 years more, to get good anti-aliased fonts.  It's a pity that Acorn killed itself.  How can a company go under, after inventing the ARM chip, and a fully awesome operating system, with a better desktop system than those we endure today?

I know that I can enlarge the desktop in full screen and do it normally too. The windows are only for the screenshots and demonstrate that it is really the Pandora ARCEM;-)
About RISC OS I will not speak again. I use it continuously since the beginning of 1992 in private and am very satisfied. After the BeagleBoard, PandaBoard and Raspberry Pi port of ROOL work very well and we are building the computer is goes up again after years of stagnation ;-) So I advertise so intensely for the Pandora port (since the end of 2011).

Edit:

If you need a HDImage with Games and Demos... http://riscos.openpandora.org/ArcEmHD.zip

Unzip the files inside and copy to ... Pandora/appdata/arcem

It works also with the RISC OS ArcEm but copy the files inside !ArcEM (shift + doubleclick).

Oh, I see it now. I'm sure it wasn't there before. If it was, then I missed it because there was no screenshot, etc. in its listing.

I started adjusting arcem to run on SDL instead of Xlib, so should be able to go fullscreen in the games soon ... for some value of soon ...

I also started to have a look at the sound, which was configured "off" in the regular build.

Use the real nativ RISC OS with full sound, full screen and full performance... but without this... old RiscPC ;-)

295347.jpg

Skeezix is working on a cool project, Comp4All. He's hacking MAME with online high scores,

so we can compete for the best scores with other Pandora users! this will be good fun...

Comp4All was to be entered in the dragonbox compo, unfortunately delayed. Anyway, check it out...!

Back