Remove Stock Programs

Swordfish II

Advanced Member
I am looking to remove the following stock programs as I never use them see any issues (conflicts, dependencies, etc. Also is it opkg remove ______)?

Bulk rename
Create Pandora SD Card
Xchat irc
X11vnc server

I don't have my pandora on me at the moment, but you can see installed packages via opkg tool, and then remove them with opkg remove package_name...

Code:
sudo opkg update
sudo opkg list_installed

or if you want to do a specific search:

sudo opkg list_installed | grep xchat

remember to do that "sudo opkg update" first.

Hmm.. It is says xchat is depended upon by task-Pandora-xfce...

Gives the same dependency for x11vnc..

Couldn't find the bulk rename, or create SD card in the list

Just forced the removal and left task-pandora-xfce.. Hopefully there will be no issues

No, task-pandora-xfce is a meta package, so just a list of packages that are installed as a default.
Force-Removing them shouldn't cause any harm.

Obviously it's your device and you're welcome to remove anything you want from it.

I'm curious as to why though. It isn't as if the Pandora comes with anything I would call bloatware". There are no "trial versions" or pre-installed commercial software packages. No spyware (that we know of and we have many people with foil hats 'round here). So, other than showing up as a menu item and taking a few tiny amounts of NAND, I don't see the harm. Those are pretty utilitarian applications after all.

So - why go through the removal process?

I'm a pretty tidy person, and if it is something I won't use why keep it on the menu? Also why just delete it from the menu if I can complete get rid of it?

Wish I could track down the create SD card. Looks like bulk rename is part of thunar so it would be nice if I could just remove that from the menu.

(that we know of and we have many people with foil hats 'round here).
I will have you know that this is NOT a foil hat, it is a high quality mesh liner that fits inside hats. It is that color because the copper wires are coated. Really, you can't even see it when I am wearing a hat.

Reactions: rSl
Back