Replace Gp2x Default Apps ?

Kalimerou

Still Fresh
Hi folks,

I'm wondering if it would be possible to replace GP2x default apps, mainly to launch them from the standard menu rather than using Game->Folder->AppName.gp[e|u] (I use a firmware 3.0).
Looking at the FW 3.0.0 Unofficial Rip archive, I noticed for example that there are 'mplayer' and 'MusicPlayer' binaries in /usr/gp2x. Does anyone know what would happen if I replace those binaries by other ones before flashing my firmware ?
Or would it be possible to copy new binaries to the GP2x system using a script ?
GP2x default apps are nice, but they suck because they lack support for many file formats. For instance, I would like to run
- DicViewer by the "eBooks" icon
- CraigAmp or Gmu by the "Music" icon
- MP2X by the "Video" icon
and so on...

Any idea ?

Well, basically, it's easy.
You can simply copy it onto the NAND and it will run the file.

However, the first file selector (NAND / SD) is still within the gp2xmenu.
Means: If you overwrite the musicplayer with GMU or CraigAmp, it will still ask for the file and AFTER that run the player.
GMU loads up the selected file though.

I think you would be better off running gmenu2x and making your own customized GUI. It looks nice and you don't have to mess around with the NAND.

imhotep posted on Mar 14 2007 at 01:20 AM said:
I think you would be better off running gmenu2x and making your own customized GUI. It looks nice and you don't have to mess around with the NAND.

Just after my post I finally noticed that they were some possibilties with the autorun, and zLauncher suddenly appeared to be very useful to me :D
I also tried gmenu2x, but I wondered how to customize it. I may be wrong, but zLaucher seemed easier to handle.
By editing the *Starter files, I managed to run gmu, mp2x and textreader from the NAND. This saves space on my SD cards, and I have a minimal set of files to copy on each SD to install zLauncher.

Last edited by a moderator:
to customize gmenu look at its homepage (i dont have a link) but they mean make alternative links (i think) its not that hard, just delete the old links and make new ones.....

Back