Replacing LCD by OLED screen ? Theoretically possible?

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
Just thinking out loud, since OLED screens of the exact same size and resolutions are widely available, would it be possible to manually replace the Pandora screen with such an OLED screen of the same dimensions ?

Are the connectors similar?

How about voltage / power consumption ? Any incompatibility or expected decreased performance ?

Would some firmware modification be required to do such a replacement ?

expected decreased performance ?

poorer lifetime

I am not so sure about that. At equal luminosity, OLEDs are supposed to consume much less than LCDs.

Screen lifetime, not runtime per battery charge. OLED screens wear out after a ridiculously short time.

I do not know what you mean by ridiculously short time, but I have my Galaxy S1 for more than 1 year and the screen has not changed one bit so far. They made a lot of progress on such screens compared to the first OLEDs where there was a clear oxydation problem over time.

From what I remember, OLEDs need different controllers. If you're lucky and Pandora can drive one natively you'll most likely still need to have a special ribbon cable made, because it's very unlikely that it'd have the same pinout and connector as Pandora's LCD. The backlight and touchscreen interfaces will also have to be compatible.

Pandora's LCD has very good power consumption compared to other LCDs of similar size and resolution, so even if the OLED gets good power consumption compared to LCDs it'll still be in for some decent competition.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also read somewhere that producing OLED screens is highly polluting.

From what I remember, OLEDs need different controllers. If you're lucky and Pandora can drive one natively you'll most likely still need to have a special ribbon cable made, because it's very unlikely that it'd have the same pinout and connector as Pandora's LCD. The backlight and touchscreen interfaces will also have to be compatible.

Pandora's LCD has very good power consumption compared to other LCDs of similar size and resolution, so even if the OLED gets good power consumption compared to LCDs it'll still be in for some decent competition.

Thanks, that was the answer I was looking for - so, it may not be technically feasible because of controllers and connectors -

Now, for the consumption, the point is that you should probably get better contrast for the same luminosity with OLED, and the touch-screen should be much better as well since now it is directly integrated in OLEDs while for LCDs it is done via an additional layer.

I also read somewhere that producing OLED screens is highly polluting.

Pollution is always something relative. Do you have sources ?

Breathing is pollution too, by the way. You should stop it right now :)

Breathing is part of the natural life cycle, not producing screens.

Well then we can forget about 99% of the stuff we live around with that create pollution as well :) having a house is polluting. Cutting a tree to make a fire is pollution. It's more the other way around: in order to live, you NEED to pollute, and the "needs" are not defined by life itself but by your environment and your context. Anyway, even the Earth itself pollutes itself when volcanoes erupt and release billions of billions of sulfur gas in the atmosphere. Heck, even making an electric car is incredibly wasteful and polluting because of the ways modern batteries are made.

As said, pollution is a fact of life, what you have to consider is how much is reasonable to sustain your environment and how you can retreat the pollution effects to make them less harmful or harmless if possible. The solution is not to "stop producing".

I do not know what you mean by ridiculously short time, but I have my Galaxy S1 for more than 1 year and the screen has not changed one bit so far. They made a lot of progress on such screens compared to the first OLEDs where there was a clear oxydation problem over time.

I hope to use my pandora much longer than a phone, I seriously hope the team didn't planned obsolescence...

Cutting a tree to make a fire is pollution.
Cutting down a tree is (minor) deforestation.

Burning it and letting the smoke escape is pollution.

Pedantry aside, if OLEDs eat more power, damage the environment more, fail more quickly, and require a much of electrical/software changes, is seem pointless to change.

Pedantry aside, if OLEDs eat more power, damage the environment more, fail more quickly, and require a much of electrical/software changes, is seem pointless to change.

Again, as I said, OLED eats less power.

Damage the environment -> seriously guys, you are all buying electronics and you probably have more of them than the average person out there, and all of them are made with highly toxic materials, since when you started caring about it ? (I'm a chemical engineer by training, disclaimer).

fail more quickly ? OLEDs USED to fail quickly, but not anymore. Have you ever seen a Galaxy S screen failing since they were introduced ? I have never. The time it takes for a OLED to fail (and when it fails, you see some colors fading and have some color distorsion, it does not turn black) is counted in several years at least under full usage. OLEDs are now very robust as well, and look much better than traditional LCDs.

Damage the environment -> seriously guys, you are all buying electronics and you probably have more of them than the average person out there, and all of them are made with highly toxic materials, since when you started caring about it ? (I'm a chemical engineer by training, disclaimer).

I think you're overreacting. I don't think anyone is saying that all pollution must be avoided at all costs, which is what you look like you're interpreting the posts as. I'm reading them as, "OLEDs suck and they pollute a lot, so why use them?"

It's also worth noting (though you probably already know this) that "toxic" materials in electronics isn't pollution until someone throws them away (which you're not supposed to do; you're supposed to offer them for recycling).

Cutting a tree to make a fire is pollution.
Cutting down a tree is (minor) deforestation.

Burning it and letting the smoke escape is pollution.

Burning a tree does not create pollution. It's carbon neutral.

Burning a tree does not create pollution. It's carbon neutral.

while it's true for the CO there's different kind of pollution, and last time I checked small particles were not great... now you can filter theses...

I think you're overreacting. I don't think anyone is saying that all pollution must be avoided at all costs, which is what you look like you're interpreting the posts as. I'm reading them as, "OLEDs suck and they pollute a lot, so why use them?"

It's also worth noting (though you probably already know this) that "toxic" materials in electronics isn't pollution until someone throws them away (which you're not supposed to do; you're supposed to offer them for recycling).

Yeah, and my first point is that OLEDs do NOT suck. Anyone who is saying that has probably nver seen an OLED in action next to a LCD where the colors look faded in comparison. Ans OLEDs do not consume loas of power nor die in 6 months, lets cut the myths please

Yeah, and my first point is that OLEDs do NOT suck. Anyone who is saying that has probably nver seen an OLED in action next to a LCD where the colors look faded in comparison. Ans OLEDs do not consume loas of power nor die in 6 months, lets cut the myths please

OK, but you mentioned the environment thing first, not your argument against "OLEDs suck". It makes it read like it's the primary point.

I would be interested in seeing if we could mod our Pandoras with an alternative screen.

I have a Galaxy S3 and the screen is like night and day compared to the Pandora.

Back