Repo : Adding Videos on Top of just Screens ?

ekianjo

Hardcore Member
This may probably require a change/update in the PXML format, but is it possible to add video links (like youtube?) on top of screenshots, so that users can also see the app/games in motion when browsing the repo ?

Maybe not that critical for apps, but as we try to welcome more devs to seek commercial releases, it would certainly help to "sell" their games if you could view videos of the game in action right from the repo page.

The PXML would simply have to have another tag such as <videolink> or something like that, and then have this interpreted in the repo accordingly.

ANy thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't keeping a copy of the video on the repo in a nice format make more sense, as you could then view it comfortably on your pandora...?

Begin the codec wars ;)

I do like the idea, however it gets implemented

No changes needed in the PXML format.

If milkshake allow for some BBcode for the "additionnal info" section and you're good to go

Wouldn't keeping a copy of the video on the repo in a nice format make more sense, as you could then view it comfortably on your pandora...?
Don't see a benefit in including it into the pxml file - urls tend to change a lot an in the current situation watching youtube videos directly on the pandora has some quirks to it, so would be useless anyway.

I would rather second sebt3s proposal, or Videos could be included like the additional info field

Don't see a benefit in including it into the pxml file - urls tend to change a lot an in the current situation watching youtube videos directly on the pandora has some quirks to it, so would be useless anyway.

Are you a agreeing or contradicting me?

I was thinking about storing the preview videos on ED's server, to be downloaded/streamed at the user's lesure, thus removing playback problems and google's ability to mess things up

Perhaps include a pxml file field for a download link such as.

Code:
repo.openpandora.org/acmeapp/demo.mp4

Different interfaces could choose what to do with it depending on the target platform/download speed/screen size

To be honest, youtube-links are still the same basic way they were 6 years ago. Sure there's been additions you can make to the link to feature all kinds of things you don't need, but the basic youtube.com/watch?v=inS3rtr4nd0mNumbErz thing still works fine if all you need is a bit of embedding.

This is a nice idea, but it's already slightly annoying to have to include screenshots and keep them up to date; creating videos is of course much more work. So it would be nice if the videos can be user-contributed instead of dev-contributed. Don't put it in the PXML, just allow a special kind of user comments in the repo that include a video link, and add some interface to easily add and view these videos.

This is a nice idea, but it's already slightly annoying to have to include screenshots and keep them up to date; creating videos is of course much more work. So it would be nice if the videos can be user-contributed instead of dev-contributed. Don't put it in the PXML, just allow a special kind of user comments in the repo that include a video link, and add some interface to easily add and view these videos.

First, you do NOT have to make videos, it would be only an option. Plus, for commercial games, they usually have already videos pre-made for other formats (if the game already exists) and therefore there is no rework involved. Plus, updates for commercial games are apparently very rare.

Net, I do not see why this has to be user contributed only, especially since users could on purpose make it seem worse that it is! The repo description and contents (apart from comments) should be solely the responsibility of the dev.

it's already slightly annoying to have to include screenshots and keep them up to date

How up-to-date do you keep them? Even commercial games often have outdated screenshots and footage from when the game was in development. It really doesn't matter if the screenshots are 100% accurate and up-to-date as long as they properly represent what the app/game looks like. Same goes for videos. The only reason you would need to update the screenshots is if you made a huge change to how it looks.

First, you do NOT have to make videos, it would be only an option.

That's true, but screenshots are technically only an option as well; if the videos become common enough, people may come to expect them just as they expect screenshots. I doubt this will happen, but it's a valid concern with adding an explicit video option to the PXML spec.

First, you do NOT have to make videos, it would be only an option.

That's true, but screenshots are technically only an option as well; if the videos become common enough, people may come to expect them just as they expect screenshots. I doubt this will happen, but it's a valid concern with adding an explicit video option to the PXML spec.

I am not really sure what the concern is. If you spend like 100 hours developing a software, you don't have 30 mins to make a video out of it (30 mins including editing time for a very short video). What's the negative anyway ? You have a video, people can see better how the app works and how it plays/looks like than through screenshots. Videos are commonplace eveywhere else and in android/iOs appstores as well. It has been clearly demonstrated that a video is more convincing than a screenshot to advertise your product. Net, you get more downloads, more users, and probably more feedback in the end.

I just don't see the reason to push back. Unless you want your software to remain confidential in the first place. Then, don't post in the repo and without screen either. See, by the way, how much less feedback / downloads apps without screens get. Videos are clearly the next step to generate appeal.

By the way, since the push back came from __wb__ in the first place, I have to admit I was not really interested to download Pandora Microbes in the first place when I saw the screens only, but after playing it I have to admit it actually looks much better once in motion. A video would certainly help to show how great is your game, seriously.

I agree that videos can be nice, but I suspect many devs will not bother to make them or make good ones (according to Gadgetoid even the screenshot amount/quality currenly suck). Commercial games are obviously an exception, but most of the stuff we have is noncommercial.That's why I wouldn't include the videos in the PXML, but make them "user"-contributed.

Obviously the dev is also a user so there's no problem contributing your own videos if you have the time to make them. Maybe you want to release something first and add the videos later. Or maybe some enthusiastic user makes one for you - I think this is a nice way to contribute to the Pandora community if you're not a coder.

As for users contributing videos that makes something look bad - I hope this will not be an issue, but if it is, then some moderation should be applied. Just like what we would do when some user starts a forum thread just to make the software of someone else look bad. This is not a big problem.

So please don't get me wrong, there's no "push back" from me, I like the idea of adding videos to the repo, I'm just discussing how best to implement that, and I think adding fixed links in the PXML is not a good idea since it will probably lead to fewer videos.

Also it would be nice to have some guidelines somewhere on how to make a nice video. It's not that easy - I for one wouldn't even know how to do it. I don't have a TV out cable (or anything to capture that output), and I don't know any software that can make movies from the screen and audio directly on the Pandora (and would it work with notaz' tweaked SDL that doesn't use X?). I could of course film my Pandora with my camera, but that's not very good quality - such movies are only useful to "prove" that something actually runs on the Pandora, in my opinion. I guess I could hack my own game to output every frame as a file, render audio to a file, and then use some video editing software to create a movie from that, but that's certainly much more than 30 minutes of work.

Are you a agreeing or contradicting me?

I was thinking about storing the preview videos on ED's server, to be downloaded/streamed at the user's lesure, thus removing playback problems and google's ability to mess things up

Perhaps include a pxml file field for a download link such as.

Code:
repo.openpandora.org/acmeapp/demo.mp4

Different interfaces could choose what to do with it depending on the target platform/download speed/screen size
The second one. Videos are external dependecies (excluding someone would want them included). External dependencies are sometimes necessary but should be avoided.

This also could leed to annoying situations like:

- the dev vid plain sucks, but another user makes a real good one - this would need a reupload of the pnd

- videos tend to dissapear for various reasons

Just make it a contribution to repo entry - so it isn't cumbersome to maintain. Maybe with the restriction that the contributed video has to be approved by a moderator.

If only I had a video-out cable :D I need to keep an eye out. Then I'd be happy to create some. It's been a while since I broke out my recording system!

I agree that videos can be nice, but I suspect many devs will not bother to make them or make good ones (according to Gadgetoid even the screenshot amount/quality currenly suck). Commercial games are obviously an exception, but most of the stuff we have is noncommercial.That's why I wouldn't include the videos in the PXML, but make them "user"-contributed.

Obviously the dev is also a user so there's no problem contributing your own videos if you have the time to make them. Maybe you want to release something first and add the videos later. Or maybe some enthusiastic user makes one for you - I think this is a nice way to contribute to the Pandora community if you're not a coder.

As for users contributing videos that makes something look bad - I hope this will not be an issue, but if it is, then some moderation should be applied. Just like what we would do when some user starts a forum thread just to make the software of someone else look bad. This is not a big problem.

So please don't get me wrong, there's no "push back" from me, I like the idea of adding videos to the repo, I'm just discussing how best to implement that, and I think adding fixed links in the PXML is not a good idea since it will probably lead to fewer videos.

Also it would be nice to have some guidelines somewhere on how to make a nice video. It's not that easy - I for one wouldn't even know how to do it. I don't have a TV out cable (or anything to capture that output), and I don't know any software that can make movies from the screen and audio directly on the Pandora (and would it work with notaz' tweaked SDL that doesn't use X?). I could of course film my Pandora with my camera, but that's not very good quality - such movies are only useful to "prove" that something actually runs on the Pandora, in my opinion. I guess I could hack my own game to output every frame as a file, render audio to a file, and then use some video editing software to create a movie from that, but that's certainly much more than 30 minutes of work.

It's perfectly fine to use an external camera, with a small tripod, in a properly lit environment and the right focus on the Pandora screen (which is something must people cannot seem to be able to grasp). It takes a few minutes to setup and once you are done, it's easy to film your game/app and all. Seriously, programming is way more difficult than handling a video camera :)

It would be nicer to have a digital recording of both the screen and the audio. People don't make screenshots by taking pictures of the screen with their camera, for a good reason. The same reason holds for videos.

Back