Release [REPO] OpenXcom - 0.9.0.1 - New

Repository

preview1.png
OpenXcom is an open-source remake of the popular UFO: Enemy Unknown (X-Com: UFO Defense in USA) videogame by Microprose, licensed under the GPL and written in C++ / SDL.
Get it from here!

lol, somebody beat me to it... not that I mind, I probably was never going to get around to it anyway ;)

What are the main differences between this and the other Xcom PND that's already on the Repo though?

This is a rewrite, so they've done things like removed limitations of things like items on base defence etc. and fixing of known XCOM bugs. You can get popups ingame when somebody dies to tell you *who* actually died. There's an option to "preview" your units path before they start walking - this also helps against the dreaded misclicks that put your units in the worst position ever

It's also got my "custom starting base" option ;)

Some more information can be found here:

http://openxcom.org/index.php/2013/05/its-finally-here-version-0-9/

nicenicenice, the more xcom the better :p

i didnt find the readme; which data files is one supposed to use? (patched 1.4 seem to work)??

btw, it is not inmediately obvious but you can scale to full screen in the options menu by clicking on the x and y resolution setting and set them by hand (as opposed to using a predefined choice)

Nice :)

The best strategy game ever, I've to try asap...

I used to play with the other XCOM PND, but I stop playing due to some hazardous click registration on the battleground.

I used to play with the other XCOM PND, but I stop playing due to some hazardous click registration on the battleground.
In the options (not sure if it's available in-game, but is in the settings file), you can turn on "Path Preview", which means it's a double-click to move your unit, rather than the original single click. This helps quite a bit in avoiding those dreaded misclicks :)

The install process is not very clear, so here is the details :

1 - Data files are all files and directories from the original XCOM installation (where the GO.COM is) put them in ${YOUR-SD}/pandora/appdata/openxcom/share/openxcom/data/

2 - You need Timidity installed (get it on the repo).

3 - Run and enjoy !

"Path Preview" option is available in-game :D , I love it ! I think it should be set to true as default in the PND

Last edited by a moderator:
v0.9.0.4 has fixed the SDL_gfx, thanks, but I still can't type in base names or soldier names

Thanks for the update!

Same problem here, regarding the can´t type issue. Is there any workarround?

Regards.

Just wanted to install but I don't have the "share" folder and if I create one and put the data files in appdata/openxcom/share/openxcom/data/ it wont load.

Execute program first, it will create appdata folder.

Then you can copy data. 

Execute program first, it will create appdata folder.

Then you can copy data. 
I already executed the program but it just created the openxcom folder  and in that one I have no "share" folder

edit.: now I got it, I think I used the wrong version.

After the last update it doesn't play anymore the intro movie...

I also tried to delete the configuration file, but it just start with the menu... in the configuration file anyway it is stated to play the intro

(I like the intro :D I watch it everytime)

anyone know how to mount a virtual floppy drive in dosbox? this will enable me to install the game as my physical A:/ drive stopped working.

anyone know how to mount a virtual floppy drive in dosbox? this will enable me to install the game as my physical A:/ drive stopped working.
maybe you can mount the image in linux and then:

Z:\>MOUNT A /MEDIA/FLOPPY/ -T FLOPPY

I never tried to use directly an image from DOSBOX, but if you want to try this should work:

Z:\>MOUNT A /MEDIA/<SDNAME>/floppyimage.img -T FLOPPY

Has anyone ever seen a yaml.cpp error 0 on this shortly after loading? I have a classic and get this even with a swap file. Would love to play this one instead of the dosbox versh.

Has anyone ever seen a yaml.cpp error 0 on this shortly after loading? I have a classic and get this even with a swap file. Would love to play this one instead of the dosbox versh.
Nope. Have you tried deleting your appdata/openxcom folder

Before you do that though, there's a file appdata/openxcom/openxcom/openxcom.log - can you post what's in that?

Back