Reputation System Ip.board

Status
Not open for further replies.

b._.o._.b

The current reputation system doesn't look right to me. I have the impression a lot more posts are voted down then voted up.
You should encourage people to speak up on a forum, and imo you will not accomplish that by allowing people to give everybody a -1. Even helpful posts or normal questions are being voted down by someone (and that someone could be only lurking).

I am sure the setting of the reputation system can be altered. Might be something like: you need to vote 2 posts up to be able to vote 1 down.

b_o_b said:
you need to vote 2 posts up to be able to vote 1 down.
But what if everybody is talking a load of crap?

Last edited by a moderator:
Orkie said:
b_o_b said:
you need to vote 2 posts up to be able to vote 1 down.
But what if everybody is talking a load of crap?

It was just an idea. If you think it is crap I think posting it like you did is better than just clicking anonymously on a button. So +1 for you as well.

Just ignore the reputation system. It's completely meaningless.

Just for laughs, I'm voting people up if I like their avatar. People whose avatars I don't like get all their posts voted down.

This is just for laughs, you understand.

D.

I suggest to turn it off. It's pointless and never worked anywhere. And apparently this forum isn't an exception.

aho said:
I suggest to turn it off. It's pointless and never worked anywhere. And apparently this forum isn't an exception.

First I thought it was a nice addition to this forum, but I tend to agree. On some forums you have a thank you button. I like that feature a lot better. Just to praise someone who made a great comment or software.

An Irish forum i'm involved with does not allow users to have any voting rights until they have 25 'un-opposed' messages.

Seems to work so far .... The board also has a lot more moderators to observe whats going on though .... Something we cannot expect here for many people to give up their free time for a free forum.

Like the answer to a lot of things, if common sense prevailed, this would not be a problem..?

There will always be script kiddies and trolls unfortunately. I've seen another board using IPBv3 that only has the + button available. Maybe that would be enough to take the fun out spamming them?

I dunno about the moderator issue. I sure see the need for more active mods, but I don't think it would be hard to find people who wouldn't mind giving some of their time to mod the boards. I know I would.

She's Gone Oh I, Oh I'd
better learn how to face it
She's Gone Oh I, Oh I'd
pay the devil to replace her
She's Gone - what went wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back