Restaurants

JDTAY

Half Pepperoni, All Cheese
Finally, some good news in my life. My city is getting its Bad Daddy's Burger Bar location opened on Monday. My dad doesn't want to go there on the first week, but if all goes well, on August 8th I will be eating a 1200 calorie burger with 1000 calorie tater tots and a 900 calorie milkshake. God bless America, land of the freaking 3100 calorie meals.

...I feel some of you judging right now, but there's only one opinion I care about: My cardiologist's. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go set up an appointment for August 9th. >_>

Calling a fast food chain a "restaurant" just sounds wrong to me. A restaurant is a (stylish) place where you dine for two to three hours.

It does sound pretty tasty though. I can imagine worse ways to go than having a burger induced heart-attack.

Last edited:
Maybe its fast food because it sends you swiftly shuffling off your mortal coil.
I paid 5 euros for a latte in Charles De Gaulle airport in Star-mucks.. The latte came out in 30 seconds tops... for five euros they could have finessed it a bit more... I mean I was in France right?

Calling a fast food chain a "restaurant" just sounds wrong to me. A restaurant is a (stylish) place where you dine for two to three hours.
Well, in Amsterdam, we have The Butcher... the burger is ok, the atmosphere is meh.. but the prices... are restaurant prices... with milkshakes at 9 euro... kinda like the too-expensive-coffee people pay in the sky lounge bar near Amsterdam Central Station at € 6,25 for an expresso.

Any vegetarian or vegan choices?

Oh, so you're "that guy"...

A quick glance at the online menu for my location is telling me "no".

Edit: I mean, I guess you could do the Caesar Salad or Skillet Mac without meat, but the first has eggs, and the second has cheese.

Shoot, it turns out that my Growler USA location is having live music tomorrow night. If it's too crowded we might not go. I mean, we'll probably be there early enough to beat the wait, but there's still a chance that we'll have to go elsewhere.

I suggested a pizzeria in Cherryville as an alternate, but my stepmother said it was too far. You have no idea what it's like for me to be denied pizza.

Well, we went, and the food and music were pretty good. Neither I nor my parents tried the beer. Surprisingly, the place wasn't full, probably due to it being located in the back of the historic Loray Mill. We parked in the wrong area, and it was like fifteen minutes between when we got out of the car and when we actually found the place. Good times.

Hey guys, today's my birthday. You know what that means? Free meal! I'm letting my twin sister pick the place though, so I don't know where we're going yet. She did show some interest in Akahana Asian Bistro in Belmont when I last talked to her.

http://belmont.akahanaasianbistro.com/

The one thing she was worried about was if it's too pricey for my parents. The entrees are mostly under $15, but the sushi is more expensive than what we're used to at other sushi places in Gaston County. She wanted to get both an entrée and a makimono crunchy roll, but the latter goes for $10 there. Ouch.

Update: That was indeed where we ended up going. I got the deluxe fried rice and a bagel roll, which is basically a deep fried philly roll. My sister got an entrée and a crunchy roll as desired. And my dad got to foot a $65 bill, which he tipped $10 on. Too rich for my blood, but that's why I have a birthday.

Last edited:
happy birthday jdtay!
a good meal with friends is priceless. :)

Hey guys, this is probably a bad question to ask a mostly European board, but how far is too far to drive to a restaurant?

I asked my dad about going to York, South Carolina to check out one of their restaurants, since we're running out of new places to try near me, but it's 21 miles away from me. My dad already drives 25 miles each way from his city to get to my city each week to take me out on Wednesdays though. Surely after doing 50 miles each week, 42 more couldn't hurt, could it? We've been to Clover, South Carolina on our weekly outing before, and that's over halfway to York, 12 miles. So, yeah, my dad's driven 74 miles round trip just to go to a restaurant with me before.

His response was that it depends on some other factors, like what time he gets here, and whether my stepmother and sister come along this week, but he sounded like he was really considering it.

Depends on your dad really. But if it sounds like he's up for it, conditions permitting, then it doesn't sound like it was an unreasonable thing to ask.

What was your question again?

Hey guys, this is probably a bad question to ask a mostly European board, but how far is too far to drive to a restaurant?

I asked my dad about going to York, South Carolina to check out one of their restaurants, since we're running out of new places to try near me, but it's 21 miles away from me. My dad already drives 25 miles each way from his city to get to my city each week to take me out on Wednesdays though. Surely after doing 50 miles each week, 42 more couldn't hurt, could it? We've been to Clover, South Carolina on our weekly outing before, and that's over halfway to York, 12 miles. So, yeah, my dad's driven 74 miles round trip just to go to a restaurant with me before.

His response was that it depends on some other factors, like what time he gets here, and whether my stepmother and sister come along this week, but he sounded like he was really considering it.

21 miles isn't too far. It depends on the restaurant and the person of course, I wouldn't drive 42 miles to go to a Pizza Hut... You could also think about doing other things there (I don't know if York has anything worth seeing...). When I drive that much to a restaurant with my friends it usually involves some sightseeing or walk + coffee afterwards.

But hey, considering you live in USA, 21 miles is quite close to go to a good restaurant... :D

Last time I traveled to USA it took me a whole week to find a good restaurant in NYC. :D:D

Distances in Netherlands are short, and we don't drive that much to somewhere. But if I drive from Amsterdam to the Hague, to go to the "3 stones" Kenyan Restaurant, the roundtrip is around 74 miles (120 km). For me, 60 km is doable. It's far, but doable.

ps: The restaurant is owned by 3 heartwarming ladies, also the chefs. And the attention to detail is high (going to the toilet there is like entering a temple with warm colours). Now it's a bit full and trendy.

But I only do that when friends live in the neighborhood, and we meet halfway. With Amsterdam friends, we stay in Amsterdam... maybe jump to a town nearby, but never long distances.

Back