Retrovirus Rts Demo 1 Released

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Up Multimedia released a first version of retrovirus RTS.

retro_ssh01.png

retrovirus RTS is the first real-time strategy game designed for the gp2x!

Three astronauts have returned to Earth infected by a belligerent alien virus. Your gp2x is transformed into a portable medical unit as you battle against the space virus on a cellular level.

This demo is fully playable with 3 exclusively designed levels. The purpose of this release is to promote the game and also to discover any playability glitches before the full version is released.

Download: retrovirus RTS Demo 1
Homepage: http://www.um.com.au/retrovirusRTS/

Hi, I'll be updating this post with known issues.
[edit] If the game crashes on you, please look at your error.log file for clues!

MAJOR KNOWN ISSUES:
- After playing a level, the cursor vanishes from the level select menu (but menu still works)
- Game doesn't display cost of splitting, evolving or upgrading untis
- Missing credits
- When player loses, it should tell them the reason why.
- Lots of small bugs found (with menus, graphic glitches, etc)

LEVEL 3:
- My best time (ie the longest I've lasted) is 5:40.
[/edit]

You can sign up to the mailing list at www.um.com.au/retrovirusRTS/

[edit]
TIPS FOR GETTING STARTED.
For instructions on the keys, refer to the REFERENCE.PDF included in the archive (I recommend printing it out and sticking it on the wall).

There is also a really quick intro on how to play in the README_DEMO.TXT file. I didn't include the full manual as it contains a lot of stuff not relevent to the demo, as I didn't want to confuse anyone.
[/edit]

I put everything on the root of my SD card and when I run the .gpe it bounces back to the firmware menu. Any clues?

- Alex

Alex. posted on Sep 29 2006 at 11:49 AM said:
I put everything on the root of my SD card and when I run the .gpe it bounces back to the firmware menu. Any clues?

- Alex

I've only tested it on firmware 2. If you have an error.log file in the same directory as the .gpe, please let me know what it is suggesting might be the prob!

Luke

Last edited by a moderator:
After I checked error.log, it became apparent that I was at fault for not putting the entire folder in the root of the SD, but its contents directly.

Now I'm off to give it a try, judging form the screenshot and from the video you showed us a while ago it will be a blast! I'll return and give you feedback and more praise this afternoon :D

Again, I apologize for my misunderstanding.

- Alex

Wow, seems very polished already, loving the sounds "crickey we're under attack" =D

Is it possible to mebe speed up the menu system or disallow key presses during a transition, took me a while to figure out I had to wait for te menus to load =P but then im impatient! =/

Good work thanks!

dodgyville posted on Sep 29 2006 at 03:20 AM said:
Alex. posted on Sep 29 2006 at 11:49 AM said:

- Alex

I've only tested it on firmware 2. If you have an error.log file in the same directory as the .gpe, please let me know what it is suggesting might be the prob!

Luke
I can't get this to work either :(

I've put the contents of the zip onto my sd card exactly as I believe it should be...i.e.

retrovirusRTS directory at the top level containing the gpe etc and a data directory below it with the various python files in it. It just crashes back to the menu with the following in the error.log

./data/python/python: /mnt/sd/retrovirusRTS/data/python/splash: No such file or directory
./data/python/python: /mnt/sd/retrovirusRTS/data/python/lib/ld-2.3.5.so: No such file or directory

I've had a look at the paths and they look okay. Any ideas?

Oh, i'm using fw 2.0
Ta!

hackgrid posted on Sep 30 2006 at 04:46 AM said:
Mh i think i am too stupid, i need a manual ;)

I have been wondering what the learning curve is. I've worked hard to make the game easy to learn, hard to master, but I haven't included a tutorial of any kind. I have also tried to conform to the gp2x interface standards posted here a while ago (in the wiki somewhere?).

The game is a collect resources->upgrade your forces->go on the attack style game.

The main thing about the interface to remember is that you use the shoulder buttons on the gp2x (L + R) to select menu items, B to select/activate an option and X to "go back" (cancel/undo, etc).

Attacking is very simple, if enemy units are touching they are fighting.

Hope that helps!

thos_thom posted on Sep 30 2006 at 04:09 AM said:
I will check this out when I get a chance, I like the name though ;)

Interesting story, The game I am working on Is also about an alien virus! How very odd. :D

Full props to you, Ryan McRobb, Aron Paul and Joely Coulthard for contributions to the game! There is a spiffy credits scene in the full version (I replaced with the "coming soon" screen in the demo), but you're all there!

There's also some of your artwork embedded in the container unit (one of the units later in the game).

So, will the full version be commercial, or are you keeping it free?

So far I like it a lot, graphically it is spectacular, although it is a tad on the slow side (I wonder how it would run in C :)). The menu animations should be slightly faster, but other than that it's a top notch homebrew game! The attention to detail is amazing, how long did it take you to get this far?

- Alex

@winapa: make sure that everything is in a retrovirusRTS folder on the root of your SD card.

- Alex

Alex. posted on Sep 30 2006 at 02:48 PM said:
@winapa: make sure that everything is in a retrovirusRTS folder on the root of your SD card.

- Alex
Yup, looks okay to me...Still don't work! Any more ideas??

winapa posted on Oct 1 2006 at 06:38 AM said:

- Alex

Hi winapa,

Check and make sure there is a file at:
/mnt/sd/retrovirusRTS/data/python/splash

and that its size is non-zero. That may help explain the problem.

Luke

dodgyville posted on Sep 30 2006 at 10:20 PM said:
winapa posted on Oct 1 2006 at 06:38 AM said:

- Alex

Hi winapa,

Check and make sure there is a file at:
/mnt/sd/retrovirusRTS/data/python/splash

and that its size is non-zero. That may help explain the problem.

Luke

Okay, I feel like a right prat....I had installed it (no less than 3 times) in my Games directory....numbskull. Works now! Duh!

Does anyone understand how this game works? I can't seem to work it out.... :unsure:

Great game .. my only gripe is that its slow and I think the graphics are just too big for what you're trying to accomplish .. my preference would be to scale all graphics in half, and see if that doesn't speed thing up somewhat .. looking forward to future progress, though!

subcon959 posted on Sep 30 2006 at 10:35 AM said:
What does evolving do to the cell attributes?

Hi subcon959. The blank cells you start with are OK at harvesting, attacking, defending and moving. By evolving into other types of cells you get different stats. For example, harvester cells harvest twice as fast and are better at defending. Attacker cells move faster and attack better. Other cells get special abilities (one example is the electro cell from the full version).

Luke

Back