Ripping Isos From Actual Cd For Pcengine Emu?

FilthyScum

Still Fresh
Hi, I've been using the sweet Temper Turbografx/PCEngine emulator with the Wiz, and I'd really like to play my TurboCD games on it. Does anyone know the correct process for ripping from the ACTUAL Turbografx CD games? The readme says, "the CD-ROM images themselves must be derived from bin/cue". I have a Windows machine and a Mac -- which programs are good for ripping from the original retail discs to this bin/cue format, and is there a specific process that needs to be done?

Thanks for any help.

You can rip bin/cue with lots of things, I think Alcohol 52%/120% will do it, and probably Nero too. It should work straight. This will dump the CD ROM to two files: one with extension .bin and the other with extension .cue. The BIN file contains the actual data and the CUE file is a text based document describing the audio/data tracks in the BIN file.

After you have BIN/CUE you can convert to ISO/OGG/CUE by using the program I included with it. They'll be much smaller this way, with a probably indecipherable loss of quality. Oh, but you need to have oggenc installed to do this (like the readme says). This process will convert the data tracks in the BIN file to an ISO file which is a little smaller because it doesn't include parts that aren't used for data in a CD-ROM disk, and split the audio tracks into OGG files which are lossy compressed and much smaller.

I have a Windows machine and a Mac...
It's so easy with a Mac. All the the software is ALREADY on your machine assuming you are running Mac OS X (who isn't?)
  1. Open a terminal.
  2. Insert your PC Engine CD.
  3. Type: dd if=/dev/disk1 of=file.iso bs=2048
This assumes /dev/disk1 is your optical media device and writes to a file "file.iso"

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I would not go through the trouble of ripping my own games. Any good rom site should have your roms. I know it's a grey area, but c'mon, you paid for the games.

I have a Windows machine and a Mac...
It's so easy with a Mac. All the the software is ALREADY on your machine assuming you are running Mac OS X (who isn't?"]
  1. Open a terminal.
  2. Insert your PC Engine CD.
  3. Type: dd if=/dev/disk1 of=file.iso bs=2048
This assumes /dev/disk1 is your optical media device and writes to a file "file.iso"[/quote]

Unfortunately, you need the CUE file too. ISO by itself won't be enough to play the game.

Excellent! It works! I used Alcohol 120% for Windows, and it was really simple. I just used the original discs and created images in CDRWIN (*.cue) format.

Personally, I would not go through the trouble of ripping my own games. Any good rom site should have your roms. I know it's a grey area, but c'mon, you paid for the games.
Yeah, because I own the games, I wasn't worried about posting questions on how to rip them :) However, I have tried to find the disc images using "other means", and so many times I have seen the images incorrect or the audio tracks were out of order, so I figured if I ripped them myself, I know they would be correct. Besides, with Alcohol 120%, it was pretty easy!

For anyone who plans on playing some TurboCD games with Temper, do the following:

- Copy the bin/cue images to your ROMS directory.
- Load Temper and load up one of your CDROM System Card ROMs (which should be a *.pce file and will load into the normal Turbografx CDROM System screen).
- Bring up the Temper menu and select "Swap CD".
- Select your CUE file from the list that comes up.
- Give it a few seconds to load, and press Run to start the game.

Also:
- To load a new game, simply reset the game (Run+Select) to go back to the CDROM System Card screen, "Swap CD" to load the new file, and start the game.

o_O Now there's an uh, imaginative method of running them. Actually, you should just put the syscards in the syscard directory (make sure they're named correctly, including a .bin extension, see the readme), select the proper syscard in the config menu, and then load the CD directly. It'll boot the syscard for you.

The swap CD method is really meant for swapping CDs after you start them. Like for that CD battler whatever game.

Back