Roms?

Im a Cat

Still Fresh
I'm here inquiring as to the legality of downloading roms of games which I own. If I own say, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, can I download it for an emulator? Do the same rules apply to SNES, NES, N64, and Sega Genesis? Hope I posted this in the correct area.

Also, where can I purchase the cards that the Pandora will use?

=(^_^)=

Im a Cat said:
I'm here inquiring as to the legality of downloading roms of games which I own. If I own say, Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, can I download it for an emulator? Do the same rules apply to SNES, NES, N64, and Sega Genesis? Hope I posted this in the correct area.

=(^_^)=
I've always been under the impression that if you own the game, you can own the ROM. Whatever the rule is, it applies for all systems.

As for the SDHC cards, you can get them from most electronic stores, or places like Wolf Camera and Ritz Camera. Also, newegg has some good deals on SDHC cards, too. Go to http://www.newegg.com, then Digital Cameras>Flash Memory and then choose Secure Digital High Capacity cards on the side.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
God Ginrai said:
Im a Cat said:

=(^_^)=
I've always been under the impression that if you own the game, you can own the ROM. Whatever the rule is, it applies for all systems.

As for the SDHC cards, you can get them from most electronic stores, or places like Wolf Camera and Ritz Camera. Also, newegg has some good deals on SDHC cards, too. Go to http://www.newegg.com, then Digital Cameras>Flash Memory and then choose Secure Digital High Capacity cards on the side.

-God Ginrai

:D HOLY CARP! Someone replied within two days! Thank you.

=(^_^)=

Problem being, some carts have different ROM images / versions, and you are technically only entitled to the specific version you purchased. Do note that while it is on the legal side of the grey area, it is still grey.

God Ginrai said:
I'm sure thats actually true. I believe the laws on ROMs vary from country to country but again I'm sure sure

EDIT: Hope this helps (not read it properly) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROM_image#Legal_status

You are only allowed to own the image if you rip it yourself and destory the original medium that stored it in the first place. Yes, the law is as stupid as that sounds.

Redshift said:
You are only allowed to own the image if you rip it yourself and destory the original medium that stored it in the first place. Yes, the law is as stupid as that sounds.
How do I rip the image? is that something I can ask here? I'm aware that some boards do not allow such talk. =\

If I were going to download ROMs off the Internet that I have the legal right to own - I would try using google

[Edited 26/07/08 @ 9:27 - Helping people find roms, even by suggesting obvious search terms, breaks the forum rules - Tobriand]

rom.jpg

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but if the pandora is to have Playstation 1 emulation then ... from memory, the Playstation 1 uses a special CD format? How do get that onto something like a memory card? Can a normal PC read Playstation 1 CDs without getting into copy protection problems?

ljones

ljones said:
Apologies for hijacking this thread, but if the pandora is to have Playstation 1 emulation then ... from memory, the Playstation 1 uses a special CD format? How do get that onto something like a memory card? Can a normal PC read Playstation 1 CDs without getting into copy protection problems?
Yes, it's very easy actually.

I haven't actually done it in a long time, so I can't recall what program(s) I used to use, it was probably something like Alcohol or CDRwin. You just put your original PSX game into your CD drive, and the software copies the contents into a file on your hard drive. There are several possible formats, but basically after that a PSX emulator can read that file as if it were the original disc. On a device that only uses cards, you simply copy those files to the card and the emulator reads them from there. That's how it works on the PSP for example.

I'm simplifying things of course, just to get the basic concepts across. Just search google for PSX game copying tutorials.

Redshift said:
Bingo! Most software licenses only allow you to own one copy of the software. When you purchase a game, you aren't buying the chips and stuff that make up the cartridge, nor the data that makes up the disk, you're purchasing the right to play the game. At least in the US. You are not allowed to make a backup copy, because then you would have two copies of something you've only paid license for one of.
There is a grand loophole, however: you're allowed to make copies of something if it is necessary for regular operation. For example, installing the game to your PC requires copying to your hard drive. Playing the game requires copying into memory. It was also decided that reverse engineering for compatibility purposes was deemed "regular operation" so you can, legally, make a copy of something you personally own in the name of compatibility. Just say that the emulator is part of a stalled reverse engineering project.

Im a Cat said:
Does anyone know which Nintendo 64 Emulator is being ported?

=(^_^)=
Yes, Daedalus; Zod's porting it.

quadomatic said:
Im a Cat said:

=(^_^)=
Nothing as of yet. If someone did port one, I would assume that it would be Mupen64.

Ignorance once again... -_-'

-God Ginrai

quadomatic said:
Im a Cat said:

=(^_^)=
Nothing as of yet. If someone did port one, I would assume that it would be Mupen64.

Darn, I'm quite partial to Project64 myself, it's a very adequate emulator for someone who doesn't know too much about how that stuff works. Is PJ64 Open source?

Also, is PandaSNES a port? Or a completely new emulator?

*Asks too many questions*

=(^_^)=

Im a Cat said:
quadomatic said:
Im a Cat said:

=(^_^)=

Darn, I'm quite partial to Project64 myself, it's a very adequate emulator for someone who doesn't know too much about how that stuff works. Is PJ64 Open source?

Also, is PandaSNES a port? Or a completely new emulator?

*Asks too many questions*

=(^_^)=

I told you one was being ported right here:

God Ginrai said:
Im a Cat said:

=(^_^)=
Yes, Daedalus; Zod's porting it.

[...]

I'm not sure about the state of source for PJ64, but it's Windows-ware in the first place (I think), so it would be a helluva lot more code than porting a Linux N64 emu.

Also, PandaSNES is a port of SquidgeSNES.

-God Ginrai

x68000 said:
chad78 said:
If I were going to download ROMs off the Internet that I have the legal right to own - I would try searching for the name of the system and then the word ROMs. For example:

Doubt you will get many hits for Atari 2800 roms :p

My bad - but the link is for 2600, so it works. Just the label is messed up.

Back