Rot Season 1 Round 6 (Final Round) - Submit Scores Here

MonkeyChops

NO! I don't play basketball
Round 6 is here, and with it the end of season 1. This is your last chance to claim your rightful place in gp32x gaming history! Let's get it on!!

Dates -- we're going with two rounds per month and for ease of remembering -- first half/second half of month.
Season 1 Round 6 is second half of month. (It can be awkward with the long months, but better to end mid-week, rather than end with a short round, and a really looong round to follow.)

Reply with your:

1) Game choice - pick one of the two games, your strongest one!
2) Score for the game

Format:
[Game Name]
[Score] - [Your Name]

Example:
Willow
119,750 - MonkeyChops

so Scorekeep can copy and paste

On updating your score -- be sure to edit your original post instead of (or in addition to) making another post, makes it easier for the Scorekeep to tally things up. If you like, bold the latest score and strikeout the old ones if you make a list, otherwise just wipe out your old score and put in the new one.

Games to submit scores for this round:

1) Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off-Road | Fixed Screen Racer | Arcade | Most money earned on 1 credit without power-ups* | wiki klov pic pic clip | levi
*Altered to reflect revised scoring.

Scoring clarification:
You are allowed to use nitros that you pick-up in game but you are not allowed to spend your money on nitros or any other upgrade. You loose if you fail to make first place in any race, at which point you are assigned a money based score. The faster times you get per lap, the better "salary" you get. Of course picking up cash as you go helps too. :)

or

2) Thunderforce IV (PAL) or Lightening Force (NTSC) | Shoot 'em up | MD/Gen | High Score on 1 credit on normal difficulty | wiki pic clip | john4p

Required settings: You must set "disable idle loop" to "on" for this game to work in picodrive with the wiz and pandora.

Scoring: Regular scoring, order scoring into 5 buckets with each bucket an even size.
(Not vicious Scoring where each game will be scored separately, and for each game only 1 person can be #1, 2 people can be #2, 3 people can be #3, 4 peopel can be #4, the rest all being #5.)

Rules: No continues and no cheats and no save-states for your score submission (for your training runs, do whatever you want.) Use default dip switch settings and 60hz versions when possible.

Season 1 master post : http://www.gp32x.de...rboard-scoring/

Ivan "Ironman" Stewart's Super Off-Road screenshot:
super-off-road-2.jpg

Thunderforce IV screenshot:
250rqiw.png

Last edited by a moderator:
@Pandora/Picodrive/Thunderforce IV

I'm experiencing a consistent crash at the end of level 1 (STRITE). Once you fly under the boss and he starts swinging his tail below him the game locks up.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem as well?

Just tried it (jpn ntsc version) and had the same issue.

After setting Change Options > [Sega/Mega CD options] > Scale/Rot. fx (slow) to OFF it seems to work now. At least I got further now (went game over soon).

Most games don't seem to need this "scale/rot. fx"-option enabled (so far I only needed it for Castlevania Bloodlines).

Probably was luck that it worked (or the poor weapon in that try - meaning less sprites on screen). The last 10 tries all failed: the game mostly froze even earlier in the stage now.

"Better sync", "Scale/Rot. fx", frameskip auto/0, Dynarec off - all those options didn't prevent the game freezing. I'll try the US and the PAL version.

john4p said:
Probably was luck that it worked (or the poor weapon in that try - meaning less sprites on screen). The last 10 tries all failed: the game mostly froze even earlier in the stage now.

"Better sync", "Scale/Rot. fx", frameskip auto/0, Dynarec off - all those options didn't prevent the game freezing. I'll try the US and the PAL version.
I was just about to post the same. The game seems to freeze once there are too many elements on the screen. Having the helper ships and upgraded weapons at that point is instant-crash once you fire.

If we cannot resolve this quickly then we need to make a decision as the game is unplayable on one of the major platforms in this competition.

ugh, looks like I chose the wrong game to pre-test. According to the wiki, this game had added security:
Thunder Force IV had a more sophisticated regional lockout chip than most Mega Drive games, meaning that you could not play the Japanese version on a European Mega Drive, and vice versa, with a Bridge Adapter. However, a Mega Key adapter or a Game Genie would enable you to do so
It's a long shot but someone try the game genie code and see if that makes any difference.

[edit] this one:
[font="Geneva][size="3"]Thunderforce IV [font="Geneva][color="#666666"] Game Genie Codes[/font][/color][/size][/font] [font="Geneva][size="3"]1. AABT-AA4J + AACA-ACBC + 16CA-ACBY + 9ACA-A60W + EACA-ANGY - Region Bypass[/size][/font]

MonkeyChops said:
It's a long shot but someone try the game genie code and see if that makes any difference.
I put each of the + separated parts on their own line in a .pat file with the same name as the rom (incl. rom extension) and activated all of them in the game.

If this is the proper way to do it then no, it doesn't help at all. In fact, I only managed to crash it even earlier in the game. It seems to be performance related as once a lot starts happening in the game it locks up, overclocking doesn't fix it either though.

Tried the PAL and US versions of the game, too. Of course with the exact same results as with the JPN version.

So Thunderforce IV is unplayable on Pandora.

Nice, ok so what shall we do? I just tested it on picodrive for windows and it did not lock up. Anyone try it on anything other than the pandora yet? I'll try to shoot notaz a pm later and see if he can see about a fix for his emu, but him having the time for that seems like a long shot also. If notaz doesn't have time, I suggest we replace Thunderforce with the next game in line from the vote. That would Star Wars. Objections?

Okay, let's then change it to Empire Strikes Back VCS for this round and move TF4 back into the queue.
If notaz can fix the problem we then could play it in the next season.

ok, found this:
http://www.gp32x.de...s-on-picodrive/
Apparently there is the same problem with the wiz version. Is there a "Disable idle loop patching" option on the pandora version? My pandora is still out for repair so I can't check.

[edit] we could also play this on our desktops if all else failed, better than switching games? idk.

I just tried it three times while creating as many elements on screen as I could. None of the runs crashed. Woohoo! I have nothing against the runner up, but I prefer to play Thunder Force IV.

With that said, let's get this party started!

Thunder Force IV
Caine

Good to hear, updated the op.

Thunderforce was fun for the couple seconds I played it, I may compete in that game on my pc. It'll prob be even more fun with my xarcade stick. :) btw the xarcade stick is on sale for today only if anyone has been eyeballing one.

What's up guys? Am I the only one playing this round?

[edit]Apparently so... Well, that was a hollow victory :([/edit]

I tried playing Thunder Force, but experienced the crash that everyone else talked about. I wish that I had come here to see the fix. I was pretty busy again with life in general, so I never tried too terribly hard to fix the problem, thinking it was a corrupt ROM or maybe a corrupt PND. When replacing both of those didn't do anything, I never went back to check on it again.

All that aside though, I really liked what little of the game that I played. A solid shooter for certain.

Since my pandora is out for repair, my other hobbies have take more of a driver's seat lately. Namely brewing beer, I blame you David, for bringing it up ;). I had planned on submitting a score but without my pandora, I find it hard to make time to game on my desktop. I've also been dragging my feet on starting next season, maybe I'll make a sign-up thread and see how many people are still interested first. <_<

Back