Rotating desktop monitor..?

Garrett

Advanced Member
I've been wanting to do this for a while now, but have never quite got round to it..

I'm looking for a good stand (other solution?) that enables quick & easy rotation from landscape to portrait and back.. (Pinball, Shmups etc)

Always thought my monitor was too big/heavy/thick for something like this (It's a iiyama Prolite E2607WS)  but a friend of mine is convinced it isn't.. anyone here done anything like this? your suggestions/advice would be most welcome.

Thanks.

I've got a screen with rotating stand as standard (a samsung syncmaster 2443)

Problems I've found are:

Cables tend to get tugged as you rotate the screen

xrandr was appallingly inefficient last time I tried - and can take as much as a second to completely refresh the image!

Edit, that may have been due to the lack of serious GPU in my old computer (a cheapo P4 with standard intel onboard graphics) - trying again with my whizzy multicore box and a nice graphics card works fine :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have recently bought two used Eizo displays. They are not full hd but pretty close (1280x1024) and cost me 36€ each. Both have a rotating backmount and you can easily and freely adjust them. I am sure you can find an Eizo stand that does this for cheap without a monitor. They are fully vesa compatible and have a nice bracket that let's you arrange the cables so that you can tate without stressing them or something getting in the way. Oh and since you have like a freaking football field sice screen, they are also height adjustable, so I think those stands could fit. I don't know about wallmounts though.

Or buy one of those and play shmups like a boss:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgVlC0bI6xQ  :D

My monitor does this too, though not played any portrait mode on it

Really easy.

Jump to 2:30 in this clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MknUvn-R3VI

Making your own stand might be a cool woodworking project. We did this at work since we needed a couple of special size stands. The VESA standard is very usefull for this, you can just cut your own backplate and make some sort of swivel mount for it. Only problem with self built stands: wood will not be perfect and since it will be warping a little no matter what you do, your best bet is some sort of a frame with two legs to stand on and that is rather bulky.

A buddy of mine has some monitor arm 'thing'; sort of like what you see at checkout terminals sometimes.. or like a arm based TV stand.

ie: ?He put a metal plate mount onto hsi wall, and the arm attahes to that; there are various number-of-points-of-articulation for various amounts of money .. ie: can it just go left/right, or left/right up/down, or all of those plus rotate in the spot, or yaw back and forth. They're reasonably pricey for any more tha a few points of articulation though.

But once my buddy set it up, it made me jealous, with my single monitor; you really want to have a monitor in front, a monitor hanging above that one looking angled down at you, and a couple up to the sides too. Ahh, nerd heaven :)

jeff

Back