Round 4. Fight! (2010-10-12)

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Finally! The new nubs arrived and testing has started.

So far 157K cycles have been finished today without any problems.

Testing will continue tomorrow, of course we'll keep you updated about that!

So this is a test run using the new material the factory ordered right ?

Sound promising. It would be great if they could manage to produce the nubs before/at the same time as the board are finished.

Finally! The new nubs arrived and testing has started.

So far 157K cycles have been finished today without any problems.

Testing will continue tomorrow, of course we'll keep you updated about that!

The new nubs *arrived*? I thought it was just the material they were waiting for, and then they could make the nubs.

If these pass, do they have enough material to make the entire set of nubs? (How long will that take?) If not, how long is the wait to get enough material to do so?

I really hope that this time is the right one.

Does anyone know how long does it take to do 500k cycles... that is to say when are we going to know if this fatal number is reached ?

Fingers crossed and good luck !

The company that sells and tests the nubs for us only did the design.

For the production they use a 3rd party company as well, and that company got the material as planned last week and produced the new samples.

For the production they use a 3rd party company as well, and that company got the material as planned last week and produced the new samples.

Interesting. So who's fault was it that the original batch wasn't up to spec? The production company (who made a shoddy product) or the design company, who didn't test them properly?

BTW, I like your title. :)

Good luck with the testing. Fingers crossed, lets hope it's just a formality and doing 500k cycles is a breeze.

I never quite understood the situation with the nubs. Originally, OpenPandora contracted some company to make the nubs. That company did the design and contracted some other company to manufacture the nubs. Then the first nub company went bankrupt and Craig had to pay the manufacturer directly. Now there is apparently a new nub company, and possibly a new manufacturer, but the original arrangement where OpenPandora contracts with the nub company, and the nub company contracts with the manufacturer?

Precious news! That's what I waited for. :)

I like the title, too. I like most of your headlines. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
How long do you think it will take to produce all of the nubs after all of this testing is finished?

I'm begining to suspect that batch one units may not be finished for the 18th October.

Wow! This is good news. Hope everthing turns out good. I will go and buy a bottle of champagne tomorrow and I'll save it until the pandoras start to ship again.

I'm begining to suspect that batch one units may not be finished for the 18th October.

That has never been said.

The board production facility aims to have all boards finished and tested on the 18th of October.

Of course, they can only finish everything except for the nubs (which is most of the work).

A month ago when we first got that date, we still thought we could work with the old, tested nubs and therefore thought we could have most of the first batch units finished shortly after October 18th.

However, too many nubs failed, it would've been suicide to continue with them. We already told we need to wait for the nubs weeks ago, so that's nothing new.

But we still should have the boards finished on that date, which would be a biiiig step, too :)

That has never been said.

The board production facility aims to have all boards finished and tested on the 18th of October.

Of course, they can only finish everything except for the nubs (which is most of the work).

A month ago when we first got that date, we still thought we could work with the old, tested nubs and therefore thought we could have most of the first batch units finished shortly after October 18th.

However, too many nubs failed, it would've been suicide to continue with them. We already told we need to wait for the nubs weeks ago, so that's nothing new.

But we still should have the boards finished on that date, which would be a biiiig step, too :)

Not exactly, no, but you came damn close to saying it.

and

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/56330-second-batchers/page__view__findpost__p__912826

Admittedly, at the time you didn't think the nubs would take nearly this long. (I don't begrudge *that* wait, just that it couldn't be at the same time as one of the others.) But then nothing in this project has taken how long (or, rather short) as you thought it would.

On the topic of that second post, though, how are the *parts* for batch 2 doing? Will they still arrive at the board manufacturer in time to start building more nubless boards on the 18th, assuming they're finished with the remaining 3000 by then?

Last edited by a moderator:
So at 157K cycles a day, they should be done in three days right?

If we're lucky (ha!) faster than that - testing should be able to continue overnight, in theory. ... ?

I never quite understood the situation with the nubs. Originally, OpenPandora contracted some company to make the nubs. That company did the design and contracted some other company to manufacture the nubs. Then the first nub company went bankrupt and Craig had to pay the manufacturer directly. Now there is apparently a new nub company, and possibly a new manufacturer, but the original arrangement where OpenPandora contracts with the nub company, and the nub company contracts with the manufacturer?

I second this question. I'd be very interested in hearing more about this setup.

Back