Running Starcraft On Wine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cinicraft

Still Fresh
Does anyone know if wine will work with the pandora Linux OS?

It would be cool to run old windows apps.

Welcome to the forum.

Pandora questions in the Pandora forum please, this is the WIZ section.

Also, no.

Furthermore, please read the Pandora Information Index. The one that says READ THIS FIRST. Thank you.

Iorgy77 said:
Isnt there an interpreter for starcraft called stratagus or something?
Development stopped long ago, though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can starcraft run on Windows 3.1? When yes there is a small possibility to emulate the CPU + OS and run Star Craft slowly (when I readed right^^).

cinicraft said:
Does anyone know if wine will work with the pandora Linux OS?

It would be cool to run old windows apps.

The trouble is, WINE needs an X86 processor to work, so in short, no. In long, if Starcraft or another game could be either run on DosBox or recompiled for the ARM processor (unlikely) yeah, it could work.

Don't feel too bad about your first post in the Wiz section, I did the same thing :lol:

I came across this today: http://dailymobile.se/2010/01/11/starcraft-running-on-the-nokia-n900-gameplay/

Being able to run starcraft and warcraft 2 on the N900 seems to me that it will run on the Pandora too.
Or do I miss something here?

FragMage said:
I came across this today: http://dailymobile.se/2010/01/11/starcraft-running-on-the-nokia-n900-gameplay/

Being able to run starcraft and warcraft 2 on the N900 seems to me that it will run on the Pandora too.
Or do I miss something here?
It's stargus(stratagus), so it's not the original engine. The AI is different and some features are missing. Let me find the quote from TMO...

Edit:
Can't find it right now, check this instead:
http://stargus.sourceforge.net/features/

TMO thread
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=39720

People may be forgetting the QEMU on ARM project which could potentially, eventually, reach the 90mhz needed by Starcraft. If not, there is the N64 game.

kuru said:
Welcome to the forum.

Pandora questions in the Pandora forum please, this is the WIZ section.

Also, no.

Furthermore, please read the Pandora Information Index. The one that says READ THIS FIRST. Thank you.

read it first yourself, flaming every first one with read this read that isnt going to make them read it. Instead be nice and ask them questions in wich they learn to search the answer them self. Some ppl have read the rules and conditions but havn't learned to read, think and check before posting.

It is possible by using the statagus engine and files from your starcraft cd-rom: opensource starcraft engine

Also, if someone were to port SheepShaver, the Mac version might be playable - the x86 version can emulate a PowerPC at about 1/8 native speed, which even at 600 MHz would be usable (the early Power Macs used ~60 MHz CPUs). I think the x86 version has had quite a bit of optimization, though, so although the source is available (and runs fine on x86/amd64 or PPC Linux, where it doesn't need to use emulation), it might take a while to get to a speed where relatively new games would be playable.

fischju2000 said:
People may be forgetting the QEMU on ARM project which could potentially, eventually, reach the 90mhz needed by Starcraft.
I'd need a real incentive to resume work on QEMUonARM. I have been waiting too long to get a setup that would allow me to get screen output.

I finally got one with the N900. But that's too late, I have no free time and a much better toy to play with (another more powerful SoC).

What happened to the "Pandora cannot run Windows or Wine" thread? Used to be stickied for just this reason.

check this out starcraft running on the N900

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WoxSCQb_d4s
the guy claims that future development will bring in most features

WizardStan said:
What happened to the "Pandora cannot run Windows or Wine" thread? Used to be stickied for just this reason.

That won't work if the idiot is posting the damn topic in the Wiz forum anyways. Because that shows they obviously were not looking at the Pandora forums. -_-'

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
WizardStan said:

That won't work if the idiot is posting the damn topic in the Wiz forum anyways. Because that shows they obviously were not looking at the Pandora forums. -_- '

-God Ginrai
Perhaps, but it was a good post to link back to quickly and easily, full of all the information that they could need (and some they don't)

WizardStan said:
It's still linked in the FAQ. I unstickied it because as much as it is important information for new users, so are dozens of other facts. Rather than have dozens of stickies (which nobody would read), we have one sticky with links to everything you need to know (which nobody reads). It's called the "Pandora Information Index", it's the only sticky, and it says "Read This First". If a new user isn't going to give that a cursory glance before asking a question, then their question is inevitable. If they don't bother reading the one sticky that has all the answers, then "More stickies" certainly isn't the answer.

Chip said:
WizardStan said:
It's still linked in the FAQ. I unstickied it because as much as it is important information for new users, so are dozens of other facts. Rather than have dozens of stickies (which nobody would read), we have one sticky with links to everything you need to know (which nobody reads). It's called the "Pandora Information Index", it's the only sticky, and it says "Read This First". If a new user isn't going to give that a cursory glance before asking a question, then their question is inevitable. If they don't bother reading the one sticky that has all the answers, then "More stickies" certainly isn't the answer.
I submit that for the longest time we haven't had anyone ask a "something Wine something something Darkside" question, but shortly after you unsticky that particular thread, we get one. If ever there was a thread that deserved a sticky outside of the Information Index, it's the Windows/Wine thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back